1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dual Battery Setups! Let's see them! Multiple Batteries Thread!

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by MJonaGS32, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Jan 10, 2018 at 3:40 AM
    LastoftheGen2

LastoftheGen2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mighty Mo
    NY & Vermont
    Vehicle:
    2015 Taco TRD Off Road
    Fab 4 Bumper with 9,000LB Winch. Prefy high lift rear bumper, All-Pro rock sliders, steel skids, expedition leaf pack and U-Bolt flip kit, King shocks with 700 lb springs, BFG AT KO2's 265/75, Safari snorkel, rear diff breather mod.
    Very very true.

I may stick with one and see how I do as time goes on.

I have some property in NY and Vermont and slowly making a “road” through the woods so there is no rhyme or reason. Some days we only move 50 feet others more depends on how many trees we have to clear so there are times when I get stuck but it’s not all the time.

One thing that I thought was weird was the Adventure Ready website said they do not recommend or sell optima batteries and only sell Odyssey batteries.

Now I know about as much about batteries as I do qunatium mechanics so is an Odysseey a good battery? I have never heard of them but I see Optima mentioned everywear.

Thanks for the feed back

2. Jan 10, 2018 at 5:16 AM
    DaveInDenver

DaveInDenver Not Actually in Denver

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Grand Junction
    Vehicle:
    2008 Super White TRDOR AC 6MT
    Unexceptional
    I've had Optimas and honestly never had an issue with them. But their quality is supposedly variable. Way back they were made in Aurora, Colorado (near Denver). We'd get factory seconds for next to nothing and they were great. They were bought out by Johnson Controls, moved production all over, eventually to Mexico. The advantage with them is they are everywhere so replacement is fairly easy and they aren't super expensive.

I have roughly 3 year old Odyssey batteries now. They are supposed to be awesome but they haven't started helping the hair on my head grow back, so time will tell.

Personally, I wouldn't get too hung up over it. Stick with a name brand that people mention, Northstar, Varta, Optima, Odyssey, X2Power, Duracell, West Marine, etc. Other than Optima most AGM are rebranded East Penn/Deka or EnerSys (Northstar, Odyssey).

seoulja99 likes this.
  3. Jan 10, 2018 at 5:22 AM
    DaveInDenver

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Grand Junction
    Vehicle:
    Unexceptional
    There two reasons for dual batteries IMO. The first is redundancy and the second is to split loads. It mainly comes down to how far afield you go, too. If you're never alone and never far from a tow then having back up batteries isn't critical and need to be self reliant. If you never stay in one spot for more than a day then you probably can get by with one battery, since it gets charged.

Here in the U.S. we're not fortunate enough to have something like the Outback where you might literally be hundreds of miles from help. But it's still nice not to have to pay for a 4WD tow truck.

The reason I run dual batteries is to split the load. I have a fridge and when you're in camp it's drawing the aux battery down. I have a fairly small aux battery at the moment so I can only go about 2 days without charging (which with solar means I just need sun every other day) it but I'll never run the main battery down, which is the one that only runs the truck and starter.

Also you can tailor the battery to the use. The main battery is a starting type, the aux is a deep cycle. Using the right type means each lasts longer. Starting batteries don't like long, small loads like a fridge running for 2 days. OTOH deep cycle aren't designed for large, short loads like a starter or winch. This is less of an issue with hybrids AGMs that are OK at both now, though.

I ran one battery with the fridge for years and you just have to watch how far you draw it down and start the engine or run a charger once in a while. It's a pain is all and there is a risk that you forget. But it's not absolutely required, especially if you get a monster group 27 or something in there.

foxrcing07 likes this.
  4. Jan 10, 2018 at 5:28 AM
    Jckdnls

Jckdnls Roads less explored

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Spicer, mn
    Vehicle:
    93 3.0 v6 sr5 5spd 08 ac or 6sp
    Dakar torsion bars
    Didnt read the complete thread but am looking at making a overlanding vehicle. First time feeling with efi n all these electronic. If i do a stand alone system for my camping n recovery would that effect the ecm. My old rig had 2 4d batteries to power light fridge n freezer carman 3 camera 2 mapping tab. Had a 220 am alt that charges the system after the starting bettery was charged. All this was in a 85 blazer. Down sizing wanting to put this into my 93 pickup.

5. Jan 10, 2018 at 5:32 AM
    YamaDirtrider

YamaDirtrider Custom bumpers @FORT-ifyRigs

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Elizabeth CO
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB sport postrunner
    What hasn't been modified?
    Kinda, I ran the heating element(300 watt in 16 gallon tank) for 3 days only when the truck was running and on the 4th once we made camp it kept water warm for about an hr with the truck off and the battery was dead flat.

Once I started the truck for a few mins on main battery it brought the secondary up enough for the pump for 2 warm showers.

6. Jan 10, 2018 at 8:31 AM
    LastoftheGen2

Member:
    First Name:
    Mighty Mo
    NY & Vermont
    Vehicle:
    2015 Taco TRD Off Road
    Fab 4 Bumper with 9,000LB Winch. Prefy high lift rear bumper, All-Pro rock sliders, steel skids, expedition leaf pack and U-Bolt flip kit, King shocks with 700 lb springs, BFG AT KO2's 265/75, Safari snorkel, rear diff breather mod.
    Thank you for all the input guys, good stuff.

7. Jan 10, 2018 at 9:03 AM
    zakattak

zakattak Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zak
    California, MD
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport DCLB
    You know thats a valid point. Being somewhere miles and miles off the grid and making camp... Not gona run the truck the whole time so as to not waste fuel. So having a secondary deep cycle for the pump and such. I could see that. Very very extreme overlanding tho. And in such case id think solar on your secondary deep cycle should be mandatory. Why invest in all that juice and not properly maintain it.

8. Jan 10, 2018 at 10:41 AM
    YamaDirtrider

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Elizabeth CO
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB sport postrunner
    Yea, solar is my next goal, not just for the battery but also for the water. My element has 2 coils and I’m only using 1 atm the other will be a dump load for solar. I made the jump to dual since I already had the 2nd battery laying around. But for a while I was debating between duals or single with a noco jump pack.

Ultmatly you don’t need dual for a fridge and water pump as long as you have a good battery and don’t stay in the same location Every night

9. Jan 10, 2018 at 12:21 PM
    steveo27

steveo27 Ask me about my weiner

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Off Road & 1992 VW GLI
    The same shit everyone else has.
    I've drained a fairly new (year old) single battery a few times on long weekend camping trips running auxilary lighting and shit. I've also had jump packs fail on really cold (multiple 0* nights) trips.

A dual battery setup was a no brainer for me. I like the peace of mind of not being stranded in the middle of a national forest.

10. Jan 10, 2018 at 8:59 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    2002 XtraCab TRD 4x4 SCv6 AutoTrans With Lots of Mods ADS COs w/Compression Adjusters Camburg Uniball UCAs Whiteline Lower Control Arm Bushings Kartek 7" Limit Straps Plastics Guy Front Bumpstops Custom Alcan Springs +800 lbs +3" ADS 10" Stroke Triple Bypass w/Resi Rear Shocks Custom Rear Shock Relocate All-Pro U-bolt Flip w/Timbren Bumpstops 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker ARB Twin Compressor Black 17x8 Konig Countersteer Type X 285/70r17 Falken A/T3w Gunmetal 16x8 SCS Ray10s 255/85r16 Maxxis Bighorns Limited Edition (Relentless) Elite Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport Selective Yellow Fog Lights in the Bumper Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro 4,000 Kelvin SAE Driving Lights with Clear Lenses on the Bumper Morimoto D2S Projectors XB35 Ballasts + 4300K Bulbs Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Dometic CFX 55im Fridge/Freezer Alpha II Hardshell RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack Denso 210-0461 105 amp alternator Dual Northstar 24F AGM batteries BlueSea 7622 ML-ACR Battery controller Peak DBI Dual Battery Voltage Monitor Magnuson MP62 Supercharger w/2.37" Pulley Haltech Elite 2000 Standalone ECU Denso 650cc Fuel Injectors Doug Thorley Headers Aeromotive Stealth 340 Fuel Pump TransGo A340F Reprogramming Shift Kit Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT, Magnaflow 18" Muffler w/Vibrant Resonator 13WL Brake Calipers Braided Steel Brake Lines ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Kenwood TM-71A Dual Band Ham Radio Larson 70CM/2M Antenna Uniden 520xl CB radio 3' Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1" Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    I have always admired your posts in this thread. They are always thoughtful and helpful. I do want to comment on part of this post tho. I am certain that Northstar is not part of the EnerSys group. Yes, Odyssey is, but not Northstar. What I read (somewhere) a couple of years ago when researching AGMs was that a group of former Odyssey engineers started Northstar. It is true, except for color, they are very, very similar in many ways.

Here is an interesting blog that touches on this topic:

http://www.impactbattery.com/blog/2017/01/the-best-agm-battery-no-one-knows-about/

DaveInDenver[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Jan 11, 2018 at 4:55 AM
    DaveInDenver

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Grand Junction
    Vehicle:
    Unexceptional
    @Digiratus, I'm not a mergers and acquisition expert. I remember seeing EnerSys owned Odyssey as well as Genesis, Hawker, Express and some others over the years.

And this thread appears to support what you're saying: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/battery-information.610857/

In the end I think the point might be that there aren't quite as many manufacturers as there are brands for batteries, so it's one of a handful of companies who made the battery in your truck and probably one of two or three making the AGM you're buying.

For example, this article lists these manufacturers (from a UPS perspective at least).

http://heraldanalyst.com/global-lea...ing-enersys-fiamm-exide-and-johnson-controls/

"Top leading manufacturers drives the Lead Acid UPS Battery market are Enersys, Trojan, Exide, Chaowei Power, C&D Technologies, EAST PENN Manufacturing, Johnson Controls, FIAMM, ACDelco and NorthStar Battery."

Digiratus likes this.
  12. Jan 11, 2018 at 5:17 PM
    Adventure Ready

Adventure Ready Adventure Ready

Member:
    Seattle, WA
    Electrical is one of our specialities. Give us a ring or shoot us a message and we can get you set up. We can go over all the particulars and get you into the correct dual battery kit for your needs.

Check out a couple of our recent blogs posts:
    https://adventure-ready.com/2017-tacoma-receives-board-dual-batteries-alu-cab-canopy/

https://adventure-ready.com/shooters-truck-toyota-tacoma-becomes-photographers-base-camp/

Lance at Adventure Ready

13. Jan 11, 2018 at 5:43 PM
    LastoftheGen2

Member:
    First Name:
    Mighty Mo
    NY & Vermont
    Vehicle:
    2015 Taco TRD Off Road
    Between my th

Will do, after reading this forum I have more questions than a penguin in a cactus factory.

14. Jan 11, 2018 at 5:52 PM
    Jckdnls

Jckdnls Roads less explored

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Spicer, mn
    Vehicle:
    93 3.0 v6 sr5 5spd 08 ac or 6sp
    Dakar torsion bars
    Dido in the past i dan twin batteries just for auxilary items.

15. Jan 13, 2018 at 2:39 PM
    inthebed

inthebed Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Off-Road Prerunner
    What are my options with vendors if I want to mount another 27F over the left fender in the engine bay of a 2010 double cab off road?
    It'd be nice if I could just purchase the mounting hardware for the battery to sit in.

16. Jan 13, 2018 at 4:16 PM
    YamaDirtrider

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Elizabeth CO
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB sport postrunner
    As long as you don’t have the abs modual there, I know of OGE ( off grid engineering). There may be others idk

17. Jan 13, 2018 at 4:35 PM
    steveo27

steveo27 Ask me about my weiner

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Off Road & 1992 VW GLI
    The same shit everyone else has.
    DIY with a Wurthco battery tray

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

LastoftheGen2 likes this.
  18. Jan 13, 2018 at 6:48 PM
    inthebed

inthebed Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Off-Road Prerunner
    I've heard if the panel isn't properly reinforced it leads to a cracked panel. Can't remember where but it was on this forum. I don't think it'd crack the panel though personally.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  19. Jan 14, 2018 at 8:11 AM
    MonkeyProof

MonkeyProof Power Top

Member:
    SoCal- SGV
    That was happening on the factory battery location with those who were using a Group 31M battery..

20. Jan 14, 2018 at 8:19 AM
    AaronArf

AaronArf Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    VA Beach
    Vehicle:
    2023 LR OR DCSB
    If you wheel your truck, you are going to crack the inner fender/radiator support no matter what if any battery is up front. Just depends on how long it will take - a heavier battery is going to accelerate this.

Wishbone Runner likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top