1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

dual exhaust

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by shawnzee, May 11, 2011.

1. May 11, 2011 at 6:31 PM
    shawnzee

shawnzee [OP] New Member

Member:
    I have a 2002 tacoma...it had a dual exhaust on it when i got it. but the hangers broke and i'm lookin to put a new one on it anyways. any suggestions? will a flowmaster american thunder dual exhaust fit? its for 05-10 for it looks like it would fit.

2. May 11, 2011 at 6:43 PM
    01Tac0ma

01Tac0ma Bash Fabriction & Off-Road

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    West Columbia, SC
    Vehicle:
    SAS 01 TRD 4x4
    Look at build!
    Any muffler will fit just cut out the old one and put a new one in but no need to unless it has a hole in it or something, if its just a hanger broke then why not just re-weld it?

3. May 11, 2011 at 6:58 PM
    kmok

kmok Plastidipped ma Hootus!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Columbus, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2005 Subaru Outback XT 5MT
    X2 you should just fix the hanger and call it a day. If you really want to change the exhaust don't go the dual exhaust route, it causes a loss in power on these trucks versus a single exhaust depending on the exhaust pipe size.

4. May 11, 2011 at 7:08 PM
    01Tac0ma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    West Columbia, SC
    Vehicle:
    SAS 01 TRD 4x4
    Look at build!
    IF i were you i would ditch the pipes coming out the rear on the driver side and teh muffler which i will assume is a single in, 2 out. from there just go ahead and get another mufffler that is single in, single out and dump it over the axle, and put some sort of rolled tip on the dumped piping to gain some back pressure back. then you will be good to go.

My current setup is gutted cats into a knock off flowmaster 40 series sumped over the axle all with factory tubing, and it sounds good!

5. May 17, 2011 at 1:38 PM
    shawnzee

shawnzee [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks for the guidance! I wanted to keep the dual exhaust. I think for now I'll just go ahead and have it re-welded. Invest in a new one later when I can put a header on it as well.

6. May 17, 2011 at 1:53 PM
    pudge151

pudge151 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Platinum
    i had dual on my old 99. it was a flowmaster delta flow 50 i think, 1 in 2 out. i sounded ok but it ran crappy, lost power, i ended up going with a magnaflo dumped in front of the rear wheel. i liked that a lot

7. May 17, 2011 at 4:08 PM
    01Tac0ma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    West Columbia, SC
    Vehicle:
    SAS 01 TRD 4x4
    Look at build!
    ^ Yea duals on these trucks just dont seem to do any justice unless you like not having power :rolleyes:

I put a cheap wallmart chrome tip on mine after the dump and it has some type or resonator looking stuff in it and it deffinatly added back to my backpressure giving me some more power back!

8. May 17, 2011 at 5:01 PM
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 prerunner doublecab limited
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    I have a stock '05 Toyota muffler with two outlets and my engine has very satisfactory power. What kills your power is them hokey wide open mufflers everybody gets to have "sound"-no chambers or 1 to 2 chambers means straight thru which means power loss. Mine sounds good but not loud so I get to keep the power-I even picked up a bit extra. I hate loud anyways especially on this engine. These v6s aren't that cool sounding IMO to be louder.

9. May 17, 2011 at 10:54 PM
    SkyHighTacoma

SkyHighTacoma Josh

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Brazoria County Texas
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB SR5 MGM
    Well I have a Flowmaster 10 series single in dual out and I love it!! (I had a Magnaflow before and hated it) Didnt notice any difference with the Flowmaster except it sounds sick!! Especially when I rev match and down shift.. :drool: And I can still chirp the tires in third gear sometimes.. :D

Products Discussed in

To Top