1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dunlop AT20 Tires or LSD?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by eordonez, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Jun 25, 2009 at 7:54 AM
    eordonez

eordonez [OP] Living vicariously through mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Chihuahua, Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Dcab 4x2 Black Sand Pearl
    OEM All Weather Mats, wheel locks, Toyota Silver Tube steps.....
    mm yea, i cant really afford new tires right of now, but it is a good idea though.... i even think theres a place that takes them as a down payment...

2. Jun 25, 2009 at 8:07 AM
    BigJLarse83

BigJLarse83 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Vehicle:
    06 DC PreRunner TRD Sport
    I am currently running Yokohama Geolander A/T-S, haven't seen them in the snow yet but they are great in the rain and in dry conditions. Nice, smooth and quiet too. I had Toyo Open Country A/T's on my last rig, those were really nice too, I will be buying them again when my Yoko's wear out, and they're cheaper than BFG's. The sidewall says Toyo A/T so if you look at it quickly, sometimes it looks like they say Toyota, kind of funny...I thought...sorry, it's a slow day at work today...

3. Jun 25, 2009 at 8:50 AM
    Climber

Climber Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 Double CabSR-5

Yup. I did that right away, sold the Dunlops with 400 miles on them. My main complaint about them was that they followed grooved cement highway surfaces, so the truck constantly darted side to side. I assume it was the narrow center rib that caused it, combined with teh very soft sidewalls. Lousy tires. Anyway, they are someone else's problem. I put on 245/75 -16 Revos in the Load C LT rather than the P-spec. That seems just right: not too stiff to ride reasonably, and not a huge increase in unsprung weight (41 lbs per tire). Very deep tread (15/32), expect them to last awhile. wider than the P-specs in the same size, and I hope a bit tougher on rocks. Have not seen a big fuel mileage penalty with the Revos, but I keep them at about 37 lbs. Very happy with those so far.

4. Jun 25, 2009 at 9:04 AM
    Blueridge

Blueridge Well-Known Member

Member:
    I had Revos on my Tundra. Loved them in the beginning, but they got loud as they wore and even with proper rotation, they wore quickly.

5. Jun 25, 2009 at 11:20 AM
    Climber

Climber Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 Double CabSR-5
    Yeah, I expect they won't wear like Michelins and I know they get loud. But I don't put on lots of miles and they'll probably make 6 years or so. Might get LT-Xs another time, but the p-spec ones seem like they have really thin sidewalls, and the next step up is load E which is a bit much. Nothing's perfect, unfortunately.

6. Jun 26, 2009 at 3:54 AM
    jrsmokestacks

jrsmokestacks Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern, IL
    Vehicle:
    Long Bed
    Stock work truck
    Ive got 47,000 miles on the stock dunlops with an arb up front. Just checked the tread depth and theyre at .200", the brand new spare measures .336". Traction is still very good in the rain. Not sure why everyone hates them.....

Products Discussed in

To Top