1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Duratrac and KM2 comparison Any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by westnc20, Jun 29, 2016.

?

Which tire

1. 255/85r16 KM's

2. Duratrac 31's

3. Duratrac 33's

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Jun 29, 2016 at 5:54 PM
    westnc20

westnc20 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    West
    NC>CA>Oregon
    Vehicle:
    06 dcsb tacoma TRD 4x4 6spd
    KM3's, stage 2 clutch w/ hydrobearing, coupe short throw, fox extended, pelfrey front, OBA, dual battery, all the lumenz
    Has anyone had both the Duratracs and the KM2's to be able to know the comparison of road feel/noise? I'm debating on which to get and what size. I currently have the 33" Duratracs and I like the feel/noise level but they're a bit bulky where as the KM's come in 255/85r16's which are raved about on here.

2. Aug 17, 2016 at 10:16 AM
    mosquitoTaco

mosquitoTaco Has an attractive member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SouthTennessee
    Vehicle:
    14' DCSB offroadsport-sold =2005 T4R V8
    Bilstien 5100@ 0, OME 885(+10 mm drivers side spacer for taco lean, 5mm passenger), b110 rears w/ allpro standard leaf pack, wheelers ubolt flip, superbump bump stops, extended brake lines steal braided(front and rear), Dick Cepek extreme country 305/65/17 tires on FN six shooters=17x8, street tires are 285/75/16 duratrac w/FN countersteer type X= 16x8, a healthy cab mount chop, SPC LR UCA's, TC cam tab gussets, Wet okole seat covers, husky x-act fit floor liners, SOS aluminum front skid, SOS mid skid, SOS sliders (bolt on), ECGS bushing for needle bearing, uniden PRO520XL cb. BAMF tailgate antenna mount, 4' firestick, A.R.E. Z series camper top, Factory roof rack, Pioneer avh-5800x head unit. Front and rear anytime cameras, Rear diff. Breather relocate. 42" highlift. Tow straps/All-PRO snatch strap, tow hitch w/D-ring, traction pads, Tacoma bed mat, Rago Fab ditch light brackets with jap special light pods
    Free bump. I have the km2 and they are excellent. I actually am thinking about the duratrac for a little more aggressive look. I am trying to compare the two. My km2 have been great in the snow. And offroad. And make very little to no noise on the street. Slightest of noise only compared to street tires. I may actually stick with them but I'm up sizing so I'm looking at options.

3. Aug 17, 2016 at 9:25 PM
    crashnburn80

crashnburn80 Vehicle Design Engineer

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    I've run both. KM2 over Duratrac any day. I did sipe my KM2s, but the KM2s did better in the slick wet, were surprisingly quieter, more aggressive and I felt the performance did not fall off as quickly with wear like the duratracs. Again, I had my KM2s duped at the tire shop where as Duratracs had "factory siping".

4. Aug 19, 2016 at 5:05 AM
    Bluegrass Taco

Bluegrass Taco Politically incorrect low tech redneck

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Mt Washington Ky
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB, TRD OR, 5100's, 885's 285/75r16 Cooper STT PROs.
    I've had both....(265/75/16's) .Duratracs are a MUCH better highway tire. (KM2 is extremely loud compared to a Duratrac as well as being kinda squirrely in hard rain driving conditions) Duratracs are FAR better in snow. . Duratracs are pressure sensitive....You have to get the pressure correct for your vehicle. I'm @ 25,000 miles on current Duratracs and have measured less than 3/64th inch wear. By that point in the life of the KM2, I was seeing significant (and uneven) wear. The wear characteristics on a Duratrac are AWESOME for an off road capable tire. No issues to report on either as far as carcass reliability for off roading. (We have lots of rock and sharp slate/shale here....No cuts or marks on either) KO2's are just shy of worthless in clay mud we have here. Like running drag slicks....KM2's aren't a direct comparison to Duratracs. You need to compare KM2 with Goodyear Kevlar MTR . After owning BOTH, I have Duratracs now and will consider them for my next set. KO2 are DEFINATELY off that list. MIGHT go KM2's, (due to a size they offer that isn't available in many other brands) but leaning towards another set of Duratracs when the time comes. I will be stepping up from 265/75/16 (lr C) to a 285/75/16 E rated tire in all likelihood. That is the only real question with which tire I choose. Tire weight will factor in with my final decision. The only reason KM2's are still in the picture would be if I try the 255/85/16 size instead of 285/75's. Same quandary as you on that issue....

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
    Arailt likes this.
  5. Aug 19, 2016 at 8:05 AM
    crashnburn80

crashnburn80 Vehicle Design Engineer

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    Duratracs are closer to an MT tire. KO2s are a definite AT tire, as such they will perform poor in thick mud for sure. I like the KM2s but definitely suggest getting the center blocks siped for wet weather traction which reduces them being squirrelly.

6. Aug 19, 2016 at 8:37 AM
    Bluegrass Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Mt Washington Ky
    Vehicle:
    Duratracs are direct competitor for KO2's as an AT tire, only light years BETTER for anything not paved and dry. ....Goodyear MTR is direct comparison for KM2. When I had the KM2's on my Dodge, I couldn't pull a loaded trailer on wet roads.....The rear would slide all over the place. With Duratracs, never an issue.

Goodyear AND Goodrich BOTH acknowledge the Duratrac and KO2 as A/T tires and competitors. The MTR is Goodyears M/T tire.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
    Arailt likes this.
  7. Aug 19, 2016 at 8:44 AM
    NewToy05

NewToy05 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tug
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    05 Double Cab TRD
    I have had both on the same truck that you have and would never buy the Duratracs again. I had load range C duratracs and have load range E KO2's, the duratracs are a louder, rougher ride, and worse wearing tire in my opinion.

8. Aug 19, 2016 at 8:45 AM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    I've had both, wont touch another set of KM2's. The Duratrac is a much better tire for all around use, the KM2 only excels at offroad dry/dirt/rock the Duratrac is lightyears better in wet conditions, snow, ice, etc. They wear similarly, which is rather impressive for the KM2 but when the roads get any moisture on them the KM2 is downright sketchy in my experiences. 2 sets of 35" KM2's (2 different Tacoma's, got rid of both sets at 1/2 tread because I couldnt stand them any longer) and 1 set of 35" Duratrac that has been on 2 different 4runners of ours (30K+ miles and still 1/2 tread and going strong!).

DustStorm4x4 and Bluegrass Taco like this.
  9. Aug 19, 2016 at 8:57 AM
    Arailt

Arailt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    2019 GX460
    I've run both tires in the past on various vehicles (no siping on the BFGs). Of the two, the Duratracs have the best on road manners by a large margin, including noise, wet/snow traction, and cold traction. I my experience, the BFGs are not great in the rain and near worthless in light snow/slush. I had some pretty hairy moments in cold wet conditions with my BFGs.

I think the only real benefit to the KM2 vs Duratrac would be sidewall strength, but there are other makes of MT tires that offer great sidewall strength and much better on-road manners than a KM2.

RelentlessFab and Bluegrass Taco like this.
  10. Aug 19, 2016 at 9:04 AM
    Bluegrass Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Mt Washington Ky
    Vehicle:

Such as; Among others, the Goodyear MTR..... Which is what Goodyear lines up as their competitor to the KM2. They're tougher'n a $2 steak! Just pricey.

Arailt[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Aug 27, 2016 at 11:43 AM
    westnc20

westnc20 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    West
    NC>CA>Oregon
    Vehicle:
    06 dcsb tacoma TRD 4x4 6spd
    KM3's, stage 2 clutch w/ hydrobearing, coupe short throw, fox extended, pelfrey front, OBA, dual battery, all the lumenz
    Just a bit of an update on this. I decided to go with the KM2's. Originally had Duratracs when I bought the truck. The day after getting the new tires/wheels I went on a road trip to Montana. I have about 3-5000 miles on them now. As far as road noise they are a mud terrain tire but that being said I didn't notice anymore noise than with the Duratracs. Road manners yes the KM2's are a little weird to get used but I think that it's easier to predict than with the Duratracs and I also think that improving suspension will alleviate some of this as it has stock suspension which brings me to my next point. The clearance of the KM2's are far superior to the Duratracs. No hard turns with them at all but with the KM2's it only rubs when flexed abruptly. Also manners on dirt roads (which I traveled on quite frequently in Montana sometimes in excess of 50 ;) ) they did a great job lat handling it. No issues with them in light to heavy rain tjough as mentioned above. If you're going for purely aesthetics then Duratracs are your best bet. Just my 2 cents.

12. Sep 10, 2017 at 3:23 PM
    BLKTRD

BLKTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Baja T/X DCSB
    All-Pro Rear Bumper Leer 100XQ Prinsu Toprac Prinsu Cabrac Demello Sliders US Off Road Hidden Winch (planned) Smittybilt XRC Winch w/Synthetic Rope (planned) Lightning Racing UCAs 1" Coil Spring Spacer 1" Top Plate Spacer Old Man Emu CS047R Leaf Springs w/Add-A-Leaf 1" Rear Lift Blocks w/3 Degree Offset Extended Steel Brake Lines Transmission Drop Kit Differential Drop Kit Lucas Gear Oil (Diff, Trans) Cooper Discoverver S/T Maxx (285/75R16) Gorilla Lug Nuts Spidertrax 1" spacers Infinity Door Speakers w/Tweeters Powered 8" Kicker Subwoofer Alpine Amplifier 4 x 100w TRD Quickshift Brite-Box (Simultaneous Hi/Lo-Beam Adapter)
    Old post, I know... but for anyone referencing this for tire research like me... I had 265/75R16 Duratracs on a '13 DCSB. It had the stock Baja T/X suspension. No rubbing when I adjusted the fronts to max lift position. I live in Northern VA and when we had heavy snows, I still didn't need to be in 4WD. Incredible in the snow. I would just get in and drive in front of the snow plows for fun on a USG Snow Day! I had about 60% wear at 40,000+ miles. Only light off-roading, mostly highway miles, and rotations every 5,000 miles. Reputation for a weak sidewall though. If you four wheel with buddies and/or are not completely in the hinterland, these should be good enough. They get loud at about 40,000 miles though.

Products Discussed in

To Top