1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

duratrac shakedown test

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tacojpklx, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Sep 24, 2011 at 9:45 AM
    tacojpklx

tacojpklx [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    eric
    michigan
    Vehicle:
    '10 AC OR, Magnetic Gray, 6spd
    toytec lift (eibach, bilstein 5100 at 0, Recall springs +Sumo Springs) seat covers, tint, weathertecs, shrokwork sliders, brute force rear bumper, in bed hi lift.
    Hi all, Got a chance to get some dirt on the new 265/70/17 Duratracs. The picture below is my test hill. I've used this line for 20 years to evaluate 4x4's. The flex point here separates the men from the boys. This is where the truck stopped when in 4low and traction aides off. For context, I've seen an '07 jeep tj with 33 in. cooper stt and body lift not be able to crawl up this. A Rubicon will, but it takes the lockers. My dad's '07 GMC ext. shortbed z71 will make it, but it takes ramming speed and he lost his chin spoiler. [​IMG] As far as the tacoma.... Bone stock- it will make it in 4hi with ramming speed, but it's abusive. It will not make it without traction aids in Low 1st or 2nd gear -1800 rpm. It will make it with atrac and 2nd gear, but it is not a comfortable feeling. Best approach was with locker and no atrac, 2nd gear-1800 rpm. Next test was Eibach lift+aal - stock tires - No improvement in climbing ability, but did feel better psychologically being above the scrub. Final test - Duratracs and 17 in. American racing Ledge wheels - Will climb hill in Lo 2nd gear without traction aids. Nice improvement. However, it will not crawl in 1st gear without traction aids. Will however, climb in 1st gear 1400 rpm with atrac and very little intrusion. Very very nice to just walk the truck up this at just above idle. Summary- No surprise really. Tires make for a nice improvement. I can now crawl the hills a gear lower and with more control and confidence. However, the atrac and locker are at least as important as the tires and the OR package is money well spent. Now that I know, I'll just use my Jeep from now on. This sucker will start/stop anywhere you want on that hill. Only has 30 in. MTR and 2 in. lift, but has lockrites front and rear. Can see everything perfectly too. [​IMG]

2. Sep 24, 2011 at 9:55 AM
    98regstick

98regstick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB SR5
    OME 90021 with 885s and top plate spacer, 2" AAL, OME rear shocks, Camburg Uniball UCAs, OME CB Drop, 285/75/16 BFG AT's on Level 8 Guardian wheels
    solid write-up

Products Discussed in

To Top