1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dyno Chart on Modified 4.0L S/C Up

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Dutch, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Feb 18, 2008 at 4:32 PM
    Dutch

Dutch [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Taco
    Finally posting Dyno. Look in my profile for results of 4.0L TRD Supercharged, modified Taco. All bugs worked out now.

2. Feb 18, 2008 at 6:05 PM
    Dutch

Member:
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Taco
    That's RWHP........I had to work out some bugs...........new pistons blew head gasket and broke one rod with 6 lbs of boost last week. Increased pulley size of S/C and reduced boost. Dyno at the flywheel is higher, but does not count. We are short of detonation with a good safety factor. Thanks to Jeff at Skydmarx!!

Anyone running Camburg? Totalo Chaos? Donahoes?

3. Feb 18, 2008 at 8:23 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    WOW. That's an impressive jump. You MUST get to the track or you deserve to be banned (I know, not a track car but still, I'd LOVE to know what it can do).

Great job. :thumbsup:

4. Feb 19, 2008 at 6:07 AM
    Dutch

Member:
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Taco
    Thanks Wilson..........There is a strip in the next county to the north of where I live. Will try it out soon and get video up of whatever happens...good or bad.

5. Feb 19, 2008 at 6:20 AM
    My68ur8trd

My68ur8trd Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Williamsburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD OR Dcab 4x4
    URD Catback | TRD CAI | TRD S/C | APR X-1 | DTLT | APR 2.85" Pulley |Fabtech 6" | Icon C/O | Alcan Leafs | 33 Grabber AT2 | 17" XD Addicts

what are you tuning with?

did you break a rod on stock boost? or higher?

There are a couple guys who have been runnin 9 psi for a while now and havent had problems like that. and one guy ran 12 psi for a bit with no issues.

Just curious as to the the full story.

Thanks

Justin

6. Feb 19, 2008 at 8:02 AM
    Dutch

Member:
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Taco
    Hi Justin..........Engine was rebored as large as the limits would take us. New sleeves, rings, head gasket, and custom domed pistons brought compression up. 11.3+:1. Ran good then installed supercharger. TRD S/C runs at a relatively low boost. Even at that, boosting 11.3+:1 compression proved nasty at about 4000 rpm. Now things run much better with larger S/C pulley we robbed from a whipple. Not much larger..........just enough.

7. Feb 19, 2008 at 9:12 AM
    colttsi

colttsi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Domed pistons for higher compression???They do everything backwards, you're supposed to lower the compression when adding a sc or a turbo and putting forged rods!!! not raising the compression. :crazy: Sorry about this comment but I fell off my chair when I read that
    What air/fuel ratio are you running??
    Nice numbers anyway, I love the whine of a sc.

8. Feb 19, 2008 at 12:36 PM
    Dutch

Member:
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Taco
    Thanks Colttsi..........I like the whine too. This is a huge issue, but boosting a high compression engine is risky like you imply. 6 lbs of boost should equate to a CR of 14.08 on a 10:1 engine. In my case 4.8 lbs of boost comes to a CR of 15.06 starting with 11.35:1. Raising the initial compression by engine tear-down and then tweaking the supercharger was based on previous experiences. We did not like speeding the S/C up. The TRD S/C for the 1GR is new to the world and we did not want to push the envelope searching for more power especially at $4K. It was fairly easy to mod the engine since my best friend builds race cars and has the CNC equipment. AFR at max power is hugging 11.8.

9. Feb 20, 2008 at 9:34 AM
    colttsi

colttsi Well-Known Member

Member:
    A cnc :thumbsup:niiice! Do you mean that your friend designed your pistons and cut them with his machine?? If so you're the luckiest man alive!!!!
    The only thing to be aware of with domed pistons is to never leave any sharp edges because it will melt if your engine pinks, I always smoothed them with a file gently.
    If you have pics of the engine, post them, I would like to see them.!!
    Nice project!

Products Discussed in

To Top