1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

E locker axle swap help finishing

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Iliketoyotas88, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Apr 29, 2020 at 7:50 AM
    Iliketoyotas88

Iliketoyotas88 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    That Dude
    Denver Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma 4x4
    I got a complete axle wiring harness and rr diff switch for the axle swap for my truck. Everything is hooked up. I do not have the 4wd control module yet. My question is. Is there two locations? I called the dealer and the diagram shows the one under the fuse box under the kick panel driver side. And also shows a location behind the center dash kinda above the engine ecu. I looked in both places and it seems I have a plug for both. Do you need. Both to make t work or only one. My plan is to get the control module and then do the grey wire mod so I can use it anytime in 2wd also. I want to use all oem equipment on this so it appears it came this way from the factory. I’m looking for advice from someone who has done this swap this way. Not a lot of info out there. Everybody goes with aftermarket harness or a arb locker

2. Apr 29, 2020 at 9:08 AM
    BT85

BT85 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2002 TRD OR 4x4
    5100s, AAL, Leer cap, 15x8 pro comp w/ 33x10.50 Maxxis RAZR
    it should be located behind the kick panel. A friend is doing an e locker swap on his tacoma as well, would you mind posting up a pic of how you have the e locker switch wired to the e locker motor?

3. Apr 29, 2020 at 9:16 AM
    Iliketoyotas88

Member:
    First Name:
    That Dude
    Denver Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma 4x4
    I didn’t wire anything. Everything has been plug and play. Mine had the plug for the diff switch behind the dash, I popped out the blank plastic piece put in a switch and plugged it in. Then I got a complete rear wiring harness from a wrecked truck, and under the driver side Seat under the carpet There is a big grey plug it connects the rear harness, unplug it and lay under the truck and loosen the harness. I did mine one at a time as I was un plugging the rear I was plugging in the new one so I didn’t mess anything up. So it’s all plugged in now. I just need to get a 4wd ecu and then do the grey wire mod.

4. Apr 29, 2020 at 9:27 AM
    jbrandt

jbrandt Made you look

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    El Dorado, CA (NOT El Dorado Hills)
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4 DC
    Kings, J59's Total Chaos UCAs Custom skids Sticker mod
    If I read that correctly, you're just trying to get the rear locker to work, correct?

If that's the case, the control module *I think* is superfluous if you just want to get the locker to work. All it needs is 12v, and the control module is basically a gate keeper, which is why you have to do the grey wire mod to trick it into letting you activate the locker whenever you want (grey wire mod). I don't really see a point in wiring up the module, just to circumvent it with the grey wire mod.

Pretty sure you can just wire the switch without the module, the same as any aftermarket electric locker.

This might help:
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/e-locker-swap-write-up-easy-way.390461/

Wyoming09 likes this.
  5. Apr 29, 2020 at 9:36 AM
    Iliketoyotas88

Member:
    First Name:
    That Dude
    Denver Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma 4x4
    Thanks I have seen that write up. Ya it kinda is pointless to get it then bypass it. But I don’t mind spending 40$ on the module. I’m already this far in the swap to start wiring stuff up. I want simple plug n play. The grey wire mod is literally so simple, that’s only reason I want to do it. There would only be one module tho right not two? I have been trying to find someone who has a trd so they know first hand

Products Discussed in

To Top