1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

East Texas-Arkansas Camping?

Discussion in 'Texas' started by honda50r, Jun 2, 2017.

1. Jun 2, 2017 at 5:04 PM
    honda50r

honda50r [OP] Not a Mallcrawler

Member:
    East Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2nd Gen Tacoma
    Not Stock
    Hey guys, bought a truck in Austin, TX I will be driving back to Tennessee this weekend. Looking to do a simple night of tent camping on the way back. Anybody have a (preferably) scenic campsite they would recommend located off of I-40?

Any suggestions welcome

2. Jun 3, 2017 at 12:48 PM
    Txexplorer

Txexplorer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cameron
    Etx
    Bilstein 6112/5160 Icon AAL Level mk6
    a little ways out of the way but the Cossatot River State park is an awesome place

3. Jun 6, 2017 at 4:33 PM
    honda50r

Member:
    East Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2nd Gen Tacoma
    Not Stock
    Ended up camping at Hot Springs National Park. Awesome little city !

4. Jun 6, 2017 at 7:13 PM
    ButtaYoBreadd

ButtaYoBreadd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD OR DCSB
    If you wouldn't mind could you tell me about your stay there? Looking to visit that area soon!

5. Jun 6, 2017 at 9:57 PM
    honda50r

Member:
    East Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2nd Gen Tacoma
    Not Stock
    Sure so Hot Springs is primarily comprised of the National Park. The National Park Campground was very cramped, heavily RV-based, and expensive ($30/night regardless of tent or RV). But the pro is the fact this campground is no more than three miles from downtown Hot Springs.

Downtown Hot Springs is a very lively little area in a beautiful gorge. The bathhouses have some amazing history and the food is plentiful. I would recommend the craft brewery in one of the old bathhouse (Forget the name). For the morning I had amazing pancakes/coffee at a small diner in front of the biggest hotel.

Unfortunately the area wasn't quite as rural as I would like and no availability of fire roads or off pavement opportunities. If you want raw off-road Hot Springs OHV park is $30/person/day and offers plentiful offroading. I think I may just be spoiled to live in the Smoky Mountains with a wide array of desolate wilderness and exploring opportunites, unlike Hot Springs. But I will say I believe hiking looked solid in that region.

Certainly a family-friendly and entertaining tourist town, I would go back with friends (and not camp). Reminded me a lot of Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge, TN if you have ever been there. Personally I was looking for a true escape and getting lost on some back mountain roads and was unable to really find any during my brief visit to Hot Springs. I would imagine if you had a few days and talked to some locals you could find some options

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
    ButtaYoBreadd[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Jun 7, 2017 at 6:04 PM
    ButtaYoBreadd

ButtaYoBreadd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD OR DCSB

Man, cramped campgrounds are not what I was hoping for! Glad to hear to food/beer and hiking looked good. Hiking/camping is what I am mainly after.

Disappointing about the lack of off-road opportunities... I just bought my truck a month ago and its seen nothing but pavement! Definitely nothing in my area.

Thanks for the write up!

7. Jun 7, 2017 at 6:59 PM
    honda50r

Member:
    East Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2nd Gen Tacoma
    Not Stock
    You and I are looking for the same thing. Unfortunately the campsite is not really remote by any means and in a valley therefore not necessarily scenic. but it gets the job done to be so close to downtown

Products Discussed in

To Top