1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Easy trail Runs Around Phoenix?

Discussion in 'Arizona' started by cartter469, Dec 12, 2020.

1. Dec 21, 2020 at 5:06 PM
    tacotoe

tacotoe Pastry Chef

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    `17 AC Sport MT
    ARE Topper, Icon aal, OEM Audio+
    And somewhere near the top a rock that jets up if I recall and a nice view from there. Believe some vehicle mfgr made a commercial by that rock. Getting up there in age, not terribly old but sometimes hard to remember little details.

2. Dec 21, 2020 at 5:33 PM
    cartter469

cartter469 [OP] A College kid who went broke for a truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Cartter
    Reno NV
    Vehicle:
    '17 4x4 DCSB OR
    Sliders; Audio; Bajas; 285/75 Falkens; Elka 2.5's; Icon Rxt
    I've already got some that need to be buffed out and to be honest if I use this truck like I want to, Ill just leave them there and do it once or twice a year because no point in buffing every week. How's her rig setup? I rode bikes around that area and some of the stuff looked like you would definitely need to air down significantly. Probably a trail for once I've got my wildpeaks thrown on.

3. Dec 21, 2020 at 6:02 PM
    tacotoe

tacotoe Pastry Chef

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    `17 AC Sport MT
    Shes driving a Tundra with 6" lift and not sure what size tires. I've worked on converting her but she likes the bigger Tundra. She's always wanted a big truck with big tires since before she could drive! I've never been real big on airing down much... a little but not ridiculously low. It's hard to guage tire quality on stock, a friend purchased one of the first of second generation 4runners and those tires were garbage. 2 flats very early on with those stock tires.

4. Dec 21, 2020 at 6:23 PM
    cartter469

Member:
    First Name:
    Cartter
    Reno NV
    Vehicle:
    '17 4x4 DCSB OR
    Looked up a video with lots of raw footage on broken arrow and stock height ground clearance would definitely be an issue. Maybe down the road If I lift it slightly. She's got a ton of ground clearance on a tundra with that kind of lift. Wouldn't surprise me if she's on 35's.

5. Dec 21, 2020 at 6:29 PM
    tacotoe

tacotoe Pastry Chef

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    `17 AC Sport MT
    Yes I believe that's what she is running. No bs my friend has climbed those stairs near stock '86 access cab, and that 4runner stock with just a better upgraded tire. On the way down those stairs the reciever hitch bumped a time or two. You could always go up and look and bypass if thought too sketchy. A friend is always a good thing too even if just passenger for spotter or back up rig even better. You'll make some wheeling friends.

6. Dec 21, 2020 at 6:32 PM
    tacotoe

tacotoe Pastry Chef

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    `17 AC Sport MT
    Also long wheel base might be beneficial on those steps too, and she has that Tundra back seat dance floor area.

cartter469[OP] likes this.
  7. Dec 21, 2020 at 6:36 PM
    tacotoe

tacotoe Pastry Chef

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    `17 AC Sport MT
    I told her to come join us here, but she nervous about :bananadead: and :crapstorm: for Tundra..:notsure: like any group some are cool some not so much...she went with a few other Tundra owners and Jeep wheelers and felt the Jeep people were a little snobbish...disappointed me...come on people many of us are enthusiasts and want to meet people and have fun. Edit to add, been to a few Jeep Jamboree and they're a little different being a Jeep only event. But still no snobby people I met, just a Jeep thing same as TW might have Tacoma gathering. The JJ was some of the most fun we've had together as a family. I let the kids do all the driving. It's a joy to me see them have fun and plant the bug..

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
  8. Dec 21, 2020 at 7:19 PM
    cartter469

Member:
    First Name:
    Cartter
    Reno NV
    Vehicle:
    '17 4x4 DCSB OR
    My parents don't really like/understand any of the modifying/off-roading so that's nice for your kids. Only modifying my dad ever accepted was a sub in his 2wd '97 xj. Woulda bought it off him and fully built it if it was 4x4 because of how pristine it is.

tacotoe likes this.
  9. Dec 22, 2020 at 5:38 AM
    tacotoe

tacotoe Pastry Chef

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    `17 AC Sport MT
    I'm a parent of almost 21 yr son and 19 yr daughter so I know the situation. More on that later but i have some task to get done. Have a good day.

10. Dec 27, 2020 at 9:13 PM
    cartter469

Member:
    First Name:
    Cartter
    Reno NV
    Vehicle:
    '17 4x4 DCSB OR
    Anyone been to sycamore creek recently? Saw one spot online that said that area was closed, however I've seen many other places with nothing of the sort mentioned. That whole area over in tonto is what I'm curious about honestly. What do we know is closed and what's not?

11. Dec 31, 2020 at 2:54 PM
    cartter469

Member:
    First Name:
    Cartter
    Reno NV
    Vehicle:
    '17 4x4 DCSB OR
    Anyone interested in running Bulldog Canyon tomorrow from bush highway?

tacotoe likes this.
  12. Feb 2, 2021 at 3:48 PM
    mandog

mandog Lesser-Known Member

Member:
    Race City, USA
    Vehicle:
    2017 4WD Off-Road Quicksand Overland
    Howdy gang!

New to the area and looking to get the truck out a bit. I've experienced some setbacks with road closures and also timid of being somewhere I shouldn't without proper off-road permitting. I've read some areas require a permit, but then also that an interagency pass works for most these.

What do you guys know about permits and places you can freely access or there's an obvious pay at the gate type entrance. I don't want to get out somewhere and then realize I had to register something online...

As for road closures, I can confirm route 88 from Apache lake to Roosevelt is in fact closed and likely will be for some time. Some boulders washed out into the road after a fire. As the other gent in here said, though, can still make the run up to Fish Creek and turn-around.

I ended up coming the other way to Roosevelt up 188 and on into Tonto NF. Played around up in Pine/Strawberry and actually caught that last snowfall perfect. Some good forest roads to run up there, but 17 was a mess coming back to the valley.

Also, the fossil creek cut through to camp verde is closed. So no hobo hot springs either.

tacotoe likes this.
  13. Feb 2, 2021 at 3:55 PM
    mamba21

mamba21 Member

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    ‘21TRD, DCSB
    OV Tuned, Method 305NV, Nitto Ridge Grappler
    Sheeps Bridge is a very doable road...plan for a full day back and forth with a cool payoff of the bridge and hidden hot springs. DO NOT attempt to try it on stock or road wheels (stock clearance is okay). The last several miles are extremely sharp and rocky and you'll want to take it slow regardless of what your set up is.

tacotoe[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Feb 2, 2021 at 4:00 PM
    tacotoe

tacotoe Pastry Chef

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    `17 AC Sport MT
    Have you ever crossed the river with your Tacoma? Or see people cross in their rigs?
    I've done it across and back 2x then crossed from the spring side over and back but almost drowned the truck that time.
    It's been since like 1990 since I've been there and it's cool to hear people still enjoy it.
    Side note; my truck back then was a 1969 Chevy 3/4 ton with lift, tires

15. Feb 2, 2021 at 4:22 PM
    cartter469

Member:
    First Name:
    Cartter
    Reno NV
    Vehicle:
    '17 4x4 DCSB OR
    Bulldog canyon needs a permit for $6 you get a 6 month permit which you get the codes to open the gate once you get there. And as far as some no permit needed, you can go explore around lake pleasant, or go checkout Montana Mountain loop. Montana mountain I did on summers without airing down and there was a hint of sketch in a spot or two but not awful, if you air down to even 22 then you'll have no issues if you place tires smart and take the switchbacks nice and slow. Lake pleasant/table mesa area I've seen some pretty hairy stuff out there so just be prepared to turn around if you come across something beyond what you'd want to do. I did bloody basin road to sheep's bridge then to care free on the forest roads. started around 10 and was off around 5. It was very bumpy but air down to 20 and you'll be fine stock height. River was too high to cross when I was there, or so the people I talked to said.(they had some pretty built up rigs too, 33's and 2-3 inch lift. Built up compared to me) If you ever want to go explore pm me and we can find a time. I'm stock with some wild peaks.

AZ_Tumbleweed and tacotoe like this.
  16. Feb 2, 2021 at 4:29 PM
    mamba21

mamba21 Member

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    ‘21TRD, DCSB
    No...seen too many horror videos lol

tacotoe[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Feb 2, 2021 at 4:36 PM
    tacotoe

tacotoe Pastry Chef

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    `17 AC Sport MT
    It was scary a little every time!! Even following, never know if you'll be the lucky one that finds a hole lol.
    If I recall it was on the North side of the bridge and near where the water is rapid like is where we crossed. I wouldn't try it in stock Tacoma, probably not even the wifes that's lifted with 33s. Just a much more expensive vehicle to be trying it. Unless you knew for sure the depth. Let your friend try it first:rofl:

18. Feb 2, 2021 at 4:39 PM
    mamba21

mamba21 Member

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    ‘21TRD, DCSB
    Check this out if you have IG: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CKSA918HwGY/?igshid=1qp00i43moadw

19. Feb 2, 2021 at 4:46 PM
    mandog

mandog Lesser-Known Member

Member:
    Race City, USA
    Vehicle:
    2017 4WD Off-Road Quicksand Overland
    Thanks for this write up. I had assumed Bulldog was just a gate fee, so thank you for clarifying. I did some pretty decent bouldering, switchback, rapid elevation gain type stuff in Montana, but would certainly appreciate a second vehicle. Sending PM. :thumbsup:

When you guys say hairy, what are the main obstacles here in AZ? Is it boulders? Slick roads? Mud holes?

From what I can tell, and have seen thus far, there's just a shit ton of rocks in the road and they're all hella jagged. So airing down and taking your time as you and most others have mentioned is key for off-roading around here.

The river crossing at Sheep's Bridge... Is that the only way to continue on to Carefree? Judging by what @tacotoe & @mamba21 are saying and I figure with the rains and snowfall, the verde might be pumping pretty hard this time of year. Not a good place to solo-cross.

tacotoe likes this.
  20. Feb 2, 2021 at 4:46 PM
    tacotoe

tacotoe Pastry Chef

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    `17 AC Sport MT
    I'll try it in a few, not sure I've used Instagram but if an app can find it.
    I was wondering, back in the day there was 2 galvanized livestock tanks at the spring. The tanks were in bad shape back then! Still there? Maybe new ones?

Products Discussed in

To Top