1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Easy way to fish USB and microphone on Gen2 doublecab?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by MattR820, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Jan 19, 2020 at 7:30 PM
    MattR820

MattR820 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab offroad
    I put in a pioneer head unit, but while looking around the radio enclosure, I don't see any ports to get out to the left or right. I'd like to run the mike up to the drivers side A pillar, and the USB to either the left side of the radio somewhere, or the center console, but I really don't want to have to tear down the entire interior!

Anyone know if there are access ports that I'm not seeing somewhere, or do I have to pull the surround and other pieces as well. I know about the left side cover to get up to the A pillar, but I don't see how to get from the center of dashboard to that left side area.

Pictures are of course great, but even a simple description would save me a lot of headache.

I've seen a lot of pictures in other threads of open stereo enclosures, but none that show aftermarket wires leaving the area, just the harnesses.

Thanks All!

2. Jan 20, 2020 at 5:41 AM
    destin_meeks

destin_meeks I used to fix people's crappy stereos

Member:
    First Name:
    Destin
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Vehicle:
    2017 SSM DoubleCab TRD Off-Road 4x4
    you can get wires anywhere you want them, but a flashlight and one of these helps
    https://www.amazon.com/OEMTOOLS-252..._12?keywords=claw+tool&qid=1579527451&sr=8-12

you'll see a lot of those with magnets on the ends. avoid those because that magnet will find any metal in the dash and stick to it and make it very hard to get this thing where you need it. also avoid the ones with lights because they're too bulky. keep it cheap.

if you want it in the console, you need to pull the big trim piece around the shifter and fish your USB down under where the cup holders are.

no matter where you go, shine your light from one side towards the radio cavity. look in the radio cavity and see if you can find light shining through any cracks or openings. so if you want your mic up the A pillar, you might want to pulldown the dash under the steering wheel, then use that tool to fish over till you can see it. then grab your mic wire and pull it back up to the radio cavity

3. Jan 20, 2020 at 7:13 AM
    MattR820

MattR820 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab offroad
    Thanks, I have that tool already, mostly just to recover errant 10 mm sockets. I usually use a headlamp, but perhaps a flashlight will work better here just to see where the light gets through.

Appreciate it.

4. Jan 20, 2020 at 7:18 AM
    BuddyS

BuddyS Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport 4x4 MT
    I did the same thing. Ran the wire up along the dash under the steering wheel, then used a tool like that to guide the wire up to the base of the a-pillar -- there's a pretty easy path up through there. I used some zip ties to snug the wire to some brackets and stuff along th way to keep it from falling out or getting in the way iof anything. And the a-pillar trim comes off pretty easily so it makes running the wire a breeze. The hardest part was contorting my 50 year old body upside down in the footwell so I could see what I was doing!

Products Discussed in

To Top