1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

eBay fog light kits for '08-'09-'10 Tacomas....

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 10taco, Sep 6, 2009.

1. Sep 21, 2009 at 5:57 PM
    epa4wd

epa4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eduardo
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR
    Clazzio Seat Covers OR Wheels 40% tint Side Steps KC Fog Lights
    White Wire to Battery +12V
    Red Wire I connected it with a "add a fuse" to the fuse for the dash illumination in the fuse box

2. Sep 21, 2009 at 6:24 PM
    10taco

10taco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '23 4X4 DCSB V6 AT SR5/SX MGM
    ...One more question: Where did you get the 'add-a-fuse'? I have looked at my local auto part stores but have not seen anything like it....

Other notes: Did not scratch my bumper during removal of the 'plugs' but got a couple little ones on one side during lamp installation....I would recommend to installers that they rotate the 'adjusters' to the middle before attempting to install the lamps to make it easier to snap them in (did that to the second lamp but both still seem like they need to be adjusted down)....No movement whatsoever in my lamps but after examining the mounting points it's hard to believe that's all that they are held in there by...Could not for the life of me get the bulb connectors to 'snap' on, they are close (wierd angle) but not fully seated; hope it's not a problem...

Ran my bulb connector harness just like epa4WD did; under the removable radiator cover. Secured the harness with harness anchors & zip ties. Hopefully will get the rest of the harness installed tomorrow!:D

3. Sep 21, 2009 at 6:24 PM
    uood8

uood8 If You Search...You Shall Find.

Member:
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    '16 Sr5 4x4 DCSB
    Pretty much stock
    on a side note...has anyones fog lights "fogged up" with condensation? My left did it immediatly and now the right side is starting to do it.

4. Sep 21, 2009 at 6:27 PM
    epa4wd

epa4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eduardo
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR
    Mine has not fogged up, I've had it for a few months now, is been raining like crazy lately and no issues.

10taco, I bought the add a fuse in my local pepboys.
    This is what it looks like ( http://store.42draftdesigns.com/assets/images/electrical/add-a-circuit.jpg )

Complete instructions Thanks to pictures provided by 10taco

The wiring comes divided in two parts

The first part is the wiring that plugs to the foglights

It has in one end two plugs for each foglight / bulb.
    On the other end you have a red (+) that has a white connector and a black (-) wire.

You can see where I connected these on photo #7 of my first post:

Black (-) wire connected to existing ground screw on driver's side fender
    Red (+) with white connector,wire was connected to the second part of the included wiring.

The picture is right behind the drivers side headlight between the fender and the battery, red arrows point to the wires mentioned above.

The Second part of the wiring

The second part of the wiring has the following:

Red (+) with white connector coming from the relay - plugs to the white connector of the first part of the wiring.
    WHITE (+) WITH INLINE FUSE, coming from the relay - connect this to the battery's positive terminal, ( Pic1 , Pic2 )

Now the RELAY has four wires, (2 already mentioned above) my relay is behind the driver's side kick panel:

(I placed the relay inside the cabin so I would have the lowest amount of wires possible going trough the firewall, (12V from battery to relay, 12V that returns from the relay to the foglights ) )

[RELAY] wires:

Black (-) connected to screw behind driver's side kick panel, (its the screw that holds in place a metal frame in which the kick panel snaps in to.)
    WHITE (+) with fuse, this is the one you connected to the battery
    Red (+) this is the one with the white plug that connected to the first part of the wiring
    YELLOW goes to the On/Off switch

[/RELAY]

Last wire to connect is a thin red wire with white/gray connector, this one goes to the fusebox, I connected it to the dash illumination fuse.

IF YOU WANT TO USE OEM SWITCH:

Included on/off switch connector has:

RED connect to 1 (oem switch diagram on first page)
    YELLOW connect to 4 (oem switch diagram on first page)
    RED connect to 3 (oem switch diagram on first page)
    BLACK connect to 2 (oem switch diagram on first page)

5. Sep 21, 2009 at 6:34 PM
    BPachom

BPachom Well-Known Member

Member:
    Long Island
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma SR5, 4cyl 4X4, Black
    Access roll-up tonneau cover, Factory radio W/Sirius, Tailgate clamp, HID head lights, Stainless nerf bars.

Nice post!
    Ordered my OEM style fogs on line, hope to receive by end of week and install them Saturday. Will also take pics. :cool:

6. Sep 21, 2009 at 7:20 PM
    NAAC3TACO

NAAC3TACO Middle aged member

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Yokohama Geolander AT tires , Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover, Redline hood struts, unifilter on air pump.
    I ordered mine today. Hopefully they will be here by the weekend so I can install them. Is the dash illumination fuse in the underhood fuse block or is it under the dash? Also, do you have to have your headlights on to use the fogs with this set up? Thanks for the great info.

7. Sep 21, 2009 at 7:29 PM
    epa4wd

epa4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eduardo
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR
    Under the dash behind the compartment on the left.

With this method the foglight will only come on when the dash lights are on, meaning when, side lights, low or high beams are on. I did it this way so if I forget to turn the foglights off they will turn off anyway when I turn off the headlights. If you want them to come on at any time find a fuse that has current anytime the car is running, for example the power windows fuse.

8. Sep 22, 2009 at 7:16 AM
    NAAC3TACO

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Yokohama Geolander AT tires , Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover, Redline hood struts, unifilter on air pump.
    Thanks again. You've been a big help.:thumbsup:

9. Sep 22, 2009 at 10:31 AM
    NAAC3TACO

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    I just picked up an add-a-circuit. What fuse did you use for the switch? The kit came with a variety up to 10 amps. Sorry I keep asking questions, I've just never installed aftermarket lights before. I've done alot of stereos, so I have some basic electrical skills and I'm confident I can do this job. I just don't want to screw anything up by using wrong fuses.

10. Sep 22, 2009 at 12:23 PM
    epa4wd

epa4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eduardo
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR
    I used 10A on it, but that was because it was the only thing I had in hand. 5A should work fine. I've had no problems with 10A tough. If you want, start with the lowest one you have, if it works then leave it, otherwise keep going up, but I don't know the exact rating for the switch.

11. Sep 22, 2009 at 12:56 PM
    NAAC3TACO

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Thanks for the quick reply. I talked to a mechanic I work with who is good with electrical, and he suggested 10A also. Now I can't wait for the lamps to show up. With the info you have provided me, I am very confident about doing the install. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again.

12. Sep 22, 2009 at 1:14 PM
    DanGer

DanGer Avatar approved by 98tacomav6

Member:
    Northern Virginia & Blacksburg
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,
    Thank you not only to epa, but to NAAC as well for asking all the questions I was going to have to ask when I got my lights!

Thanks for all the great info on this thread!

13. Sep 22, 2009 at 1:44 PM
    10taco

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    It appears that I have to snake the connector that meets the lamp harness from inside the cabin through the firewall wire access point and into the engine compartment where it will connect with the lamp harness. Then the relay, ground, fuse and switch ends will be hooked up inside the cabin; I must add a wire from the battery positive terminal to the 2nd harness connection. Does this sound right? :eek:

EPA4wd: I think my 2nd harness may be a little different than yours. Take another look please! Thanks!

14. Sep 22, 2009 at 2:59 PM
    epa4wd

epa4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eduardo
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR
    I think I only had to extend the wire that goes to the battery, the one that connects to 1st part of the wiring was long enough.

that is correct

15. Sep 25, 2009 at 8:59 PM
    madyota

madyota beermeister

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Kitsap
    Vehicle:
    Silver SR5 Regular Cab 4x4
    Lots to come I am sure
    Could be my first mod?

Wooo hooo let the fun begin!

16. Sep 26, 2009 at 2:01 PM
    NAAC3TACO

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    I have fog lights now!!

I could not have done it with out the help of epa4wd. Thankyou very much.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Sep 26, 2009 at 3:00 PM
    epa4wd

epa4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eduardo
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR
    Looks great!!!, fog lights really give a nice touch to the truck, glad I could help!!!

10taco did you finish yours?

18. Sep 27, 2009 at 3:27 PM
    10taco

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    I have installed the lamps and the lamp section of the harness but had to wait for my switch and bad weather & work has kept me from completing the installation. Can't wait to post a pic of an illuminated lamp like the previous poster! :eek:

19. Sep 28, 2009 at 10:40 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Got mine done this weekend but didn't see a dash illumination fuse to put the add a circuit thing in. For now I just used the "tail" fuse to put the add a circuit in because I knew it would only work when turning the parking lights on at very least & would work independent of lo's or hi's being on or not. Only thing I don't like is that it doesn't dim with rest of dash lighting but how often would that ever matter? Never. Mine is 05, is dash illumination fuse new since then?

20. Sep 28, 2009 at 11:09 AM
    NAAC3TACO

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    My 08 has that fuse, but for now I wired it legally to the lo-beam fuse by the battery. That mini add a circuit is slick. I didn't have to splice into one wire on the truck. Wiring these foglights was a breeze thanks to this thread! Maybe I'll switch it over to the taillight fuse so I can turn the lights on with the headlights off.

Products Discussed in

To Top