1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

"Effective offset" spacer question...

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Nitori, Jan 20, 2018.

1. Jan 20, 2018 at 11:45 AM
    Nitori

Nitori [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maricopa AZ
    Vehicle:
    2021 T4R SR5
    Not that I'm immediately planning on going out and doing this, but I've had an idea rattling around in my head and I'm wondering what the actual associated load change on the wheel bearings would be...

I've always loved the look of "rally" style wheels, but rally style wheels rarely (if ever) come in 6 lug. The vast majority of the market is 4-5 lug only- so if you want something like a Sparco Terra you aren't going to find them in 6 lug because Sparco/OZ simply does not make them in the 6 lug application.:
    [​IMG]
    (looks cool with KO2s on a Subaru by the way ;) )

Enter hub adapters.
    [​IMG]

Adapters by their very nature are pretty thick spacers, and depending on who you ask spacers are the devil. The argument is that by changing your wheel and tire geometry you are putting greater strain on the wheel bearings.

However, here's the thing. Most cars that would mount these rally wheels start with a positive offset of like 30-40mm... stock Tacoma wheels (at least on my 3rd gen) are 0 offset. The net change then is that positive offset would start to make up for the thickness of the spacer in terms of keeping the center line of the wheel where it normally is stock.

So... would that hurt anything to work out the exact thickness of the hub adapter and then buy a wheel offset that corresponds? Or, at the very least makes up for most of it such that your net change is a few mm in one direction or another?

I know this is a question that usually wouldn't come up because adding a spacer and then changing your offset to negate the spacer would be silly, but in this case the spacer is a necessary part of adapting your truck to take the different wheels.

Ultimately your tire would essentially be in the same exact location as stock, just the geometry of the wheel holding it on would be... sort of different?:confused:

2Nice and D. Lengua like this.
  2. Jan 26, 2020 at 5:14 PM
    jsheets1

jsheets1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Vehicle:
    2005 White Tacoma 2wd Base
    man i'm sad no one replied to this... i'm throwing around the idea of putting these on my 2nd gen 5 lug and i can't find a picture of them on any, but i want to see what they would look like....

3. Jan 26, 2020 at 6:42 PM
    Nitori

Nitori [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maricopa AZ
    Vehicle:
    2021 T4R SR5
    5 lug to 5 lug you'd still probably need to run a spacer to adjust the offset.

Since I posted this I have talked to a few people about this and the general consensus is "no that won't hurt anything" for the reasons I was listing. It complicates servicing rotors and you would want to loctite the inner studs down, but, as long as that centerline of the wheel gets matched properly you won't see any adverse effects.

Just, don't by the cheapest shittiest adapters you can find.

4. Jan 30, 2020 at 9:50 AM
    Jowett

Jowett Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    North Adams, MA
    Evo Corse Dakar not quite what you are looking for?

5. Jan 31, 2020 at 6:40 PM
    Navigator1

Navigator1 Assistant to the Regional Manager

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Spokane WA
    Vehicle:
    18 TRDORDCLBCEMENT
  6. Jan 31, 2020 at 6:46 PM
    R_Dub5

R_Dub5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    the stock wheels on my 3rd gen TRD OR aren't 0 offset. what tacoma wheels are you talking about?

7. Jan 10, 2021 at 8:54 AM
    D. Lengua

D. Lengua Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '21 Limited LB
    those are nice looking wheels. i think they're about 3 or 4 times the price of the Terras.

(zombie thread, i know.:notsure:)

8. Jan 10, 2021 at 9:02 AM
    maxtherat

maxtherat Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2001 Dodge Ram 2500, 1993 Jeep Wrangler
    All the usual diesel truck mods- fuel system upgrade, programmer, CAI, intake manifold, 60MM stealth turbo
    In theory it shouldn’t cause you any issues. I would be concerned about brake clearance and also the nuts that hold the adapter to the hub. That nut, to me, would be the weak link. On my old Tacoma I bought the extended spacer nuts from All Pro. They catch more thread than the nuts that came with my spacers.

Products Discussed in

To Top