1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

electric heat in camper shell

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by sharkness, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Sep 20, 2009 at 11:57 AM
    sharkness

sharkness [OP] Member

Member:
    Hi all, I'm a total noob when it comes to electronics. I need to set my camper shell up for my dog to spend time in during the day during winter, where temps regularly dip below 0F. I'm thinking that a 13w electric dog bed may provide enough heat to make the air temp alright, and the pad itself providing extra warmth and comfort for her to lie on. Anybody have experience with a setup like this?

Here are my questions:

Will I need an aux battery setup to run 13w for up to 8 hours?

I've got an SR5, so no TRD outlet in the bed. Should I run a 12v line from the cab, route the towing hookup into the bed or what? I'll need something that's always 'hot.'

Thanks guys.
    Sam

2. Sep 20, 2009 at 12:42 PM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Is this for the dog's regular use, or what? She'd be better served with a good sturdy doghouse, shelter from the wind, bedding, hay, and nearby access to unfrozen water and food.

13 watts is going to do essentially nothing for the air temp. It might provide a little warmth to her when she's sleeping on it.

Products Discussed in

To Top