1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Electrical - Ground location from bed

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by evdog, May 8, 2021.

1. May 8, 2021 at 2:02 AM
    evdog

evdog [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCLB TRD OR
    Can anyone provide input on the best location to ground to, from the bed? 3rd Gen.

Setting up a solar/battery system with most components located in the bed. I need to run a ground wire from there. I've read the negative post on the battery is the best spot, and grounding to frame is also ok. I need to run 4awg wire which is expensive, so looking for closest acceptable spot to the front of the bed.

Any suggestions on best or most convenient location to ground to? I stuck my head under the truck but didn't see any obvious spots where the frame had bolts I could remove and post a wire to.

Thanks for any suggestions

2. May 8, 2021 at 6:48 AM
    caribe makaira

caribe makaira Well-Known Member

Member:
    Caribbean, Puerto Rico
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD Offroad AutoTrans
    Hood Struts, My version Fogs always ON, Map & Overhead Light Mod,
  3. May 8, 2021 at 6:50 AM
    Tacomike18

Tacomike18 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Vehicle:
    Take off the driver tail light. There are two m6 studs sticking out on the inside. Just get a matching nut.

evdog[OP] likes this.
  4. May 8, 2021 at 6:09 PM
    Doobfucious

Doobfucious I get it. It ain't makin' me laugh but I get it.

Member:
    First Name:
    Doobie
    WNC -> Midwest
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRDOR DCSB 6MT
    Stock AF. My 68 Bronco and 2000 2.5RS get the mods.

Edit: and I wanted to name drop parts-express.com for your cable needs. I've bought a bunch of wire and cable from them and have been absolutely thrilled with it. Their prices on spools of zip cable are great too, that might interest you. It's way cleaner than running two wires per connection. Grab some expanding loom off Amazon too, cut it with a hot knife or soldering iron smoothing tip so it won't fray. Use butyl to seal holes in grommets or body plugs.
    https://www.parts-express.com/wire-cables/bulk-wire-bulk-cable/zip-cord
    What I wrapped by 4ga power and ground with to keep them together: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07K1YPMP8?ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title
    The details like sleeving, tape, butyl and adhesive heat shrink really clean it up.
    20200417_164431.jpg

Edit #2, advice boogaloo: if it's a low power circuit like a solar maintainer, be sure to clean up and seal contact points and soldering the connections isn't a bad idea. With high power comes a higher tolerance of increased resistance. A 12v, 2a charge will get murdered by a long run of cable and a touch of corrosion.

Last edited: May 8, 2021
    evdog[OP] likes this.
  5. May 8, 2021 at 6:28 PM
    AverageGuyTaco

AverageGuyTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRDOR-DCLB
    There are several bolts to choose from depending on where you want to bring in your wires. I used one the frame behind the passenger rear tire on my first build. My current build I found one just in front of the the fuel tank. Access is from the top of the frame. I believe it was a 10mm bolt. I brought in 4awg wire in the front driver corner on the side of the bed.

scroll down for my set up.
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/fwc-project-m-project.650163/page-2

DAEC20A1-1107-4A18-84A8-186262C33359.jpg

6. May 8, 2021 at 7:54 PM
    evdog

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCLB TRD OR
    Thanks guys! I actually had the driver side rear tail light off already for something else, so I used TacoMike's suggestion. Had exactly the right amount of wire to get there :)

7. May 8, 2021 at 8:02 PM
    caribe makaira

Member:
    Caribbean, Puerto Rico
    Vehicle:
    I would use any bolt available for ground if the circuit was of minor amp requirements, but being that you are placing a 4awg wire for an added battery, BK should be your choice. Just saying...:burp:

8. May 9, 2021 at 3:35 PM
    evdog

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCLB TRD OR
    OK, so I think I found BK. Does this look right in the pic below? That is the leaf pack, shock and tire for reference. BK would be the stub wire branching off near the center of the pic.

What is the reason this spot is better than the tail light spot TacoMike suggested - since its frame rail as opposed to a body support?

Also, should I mount using the existing bolt there, or is it ok to attach through the hole to the left? Thanks!

[​IMG]

9. May 9, 2021 at 6:31 PM
    Toycoma2021

Toycoma2021 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern California, Temporarily
    Vehicle:
    2021 Access Cab, LB, AT, V6, Off Road
    OK, new opinion; yes the frame is a better place for a ground for a high current device, it simply acts as a larger conductor and your #4 is a LARGE conductor. From the picture I see two bolts coming through the frame near the brake line, just use a ring terminal of the proper size with a few washers and a nut and you are set. I may also see another bolt through the frame near the center of the picture, but the detail is so bad I can't be sure. Possibly that one as well. Tail light location is suspect as body panels don't always need to have an electrical ground and when they do might not keep a good connection for the life of the truck. You are looking for a low resistance connection back to the battery and one that is not subject to corrosion so star washer(s) and a few flat washers to even out the bottom of one of those bolts. The only problem with the existing through hole you mention is getting a good clean bond in a difficult location to work in.

10. May 9, 2021 at 7:52 PM
    caribe makaira

Member:
    Caribbean, Puerto Rico
    Vehicle:
    Yes.
    Here is a little better pic.
    upload_2021-5-9_22-47-6.jpg
    AMPS to handle.
    If you use hole next to it you would need to scrape the chassis paint for an excellent bound. I'd stay with the original bolt.

Last edited: May 10, 2021
  11. May 10, 2021 at 4:15 PM
    evdog

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCLB TRD OR
    Thanks for the extra input everyone. I moved the ground to the single bolt shown in the pic above, now with red arrow.

It was a pain to access and undo, but not as much of a pain as the other two with blue arrow would have been. Those two attach brackets. The one I used attaches the stub end of a wiring harness as caribe's photo shows. It was just a tight spot to get a wrench or a ratchet into with ribs of the bed right there.

Everything is good now. I still had room to run the 4 awg wire through the gap in the front driver side bed corner up top. Again just enough wire length for this run.

[​IMG]

davidstacoma likes this.
  12. May 10, 2021 at 6:31 PM
    caribe makaira

Member:
    Caribbean, Puerto Rico
    Vehicle:
    Post some pics of the cable run...:popcorn:

13. May 11, 2021 at 12:48 AM
    evdog

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCLB TRD OR
    Haha, it's all on top of the frame rail out of sight. Not much to take a picture of.

Products Discussed in

To Top