1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Electrical Problem

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by gnuenglander, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Jun 10, 2012 at 8:56 PM
    gnuenglander

gnuenglander [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    4x4 Access Cab 5 speed manual
    I have a 2010 Tacoma 2.7L 5 sp 4x4, with about 45,000 mi. Today, electrical problems began. When I put on my turn signal, the lights on the radio display and odometer also flashed along with the turn signal. When I step on the brakes with the truck ignition key in the shut off position, the dash odometer light comes on. The truck electrical system and components are original factory, with the exception of a aftermarket towing hitch and trailer light harness which I had installed at a reputable shop (not a dealer) at approx. 7500 miles. To date, the towing hitch light harness has worked fine. Has anyone else seen a similar electrical problem in a 2nd gen Tacoma?

2. Jun 10, 2012 at 8:58 PM
    Leggo

Leggo slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    Kenwood HU,Infinity Kappa speakers (x4), Infinity reference tweeters(x2),10" Kicker sub, Box by Subthump, Infinty Five channel amp,DVD anytime bypass, DTRL Mod, Xtang trifecta, Fogs anytime Mod, Bed Mat,Westin running boards, Console vault, Maglite mod, Weathertechs,Autopage remote starter, Power tailgate lock, HID Bi Zenon, Hella Supertones,Rain guards,Rear leaf TSB,Steering shaft TSB, Fisher Homesteader plow, 886 reverse lights mod, Redline Hood struts, Hankook Dynapro ATM LT265/70R17, power sliding rear window, Auto dimming/on anytime Bed lights, Blue Sea fuse panel & 100amp Breaker, de- badged,Rear headrest's removed, imMrYo mirror relocation,Homeroshi grill
    dead short, somewhere.

3. Jun 10, 2012 at 9:00 PM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    Wow, thats all sorts of crazy. Hopefully someone whose versed in electrical matters can give ya some info.

4. Jun 10, 2012 at 9:00 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Most likely a problem with the trailer harness.

If it only has the basic 4 or 5-pin connector and doesn't have electric brakes, it SHOULD be wired using a "plug and play" harness that you can disconnect by removing the taillights, unplugging, and putting the factory harness back into the lights.

But...

Failure of the trailer harness MAY have caused a failure in the truck's wiring.
    Disconnect the trailer harness and test. If the problem goes away, you've found the problem.
    If the problem changes, then the problem is most likely the trailer adapter, but has created a secondary problem in the truck itself.

Either way, this is beyond the level of anyone's ability to troubleshoot online.

5. Jun 11, 2012 at 6:45 AM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    It is an issue some where in the trailer wiring or a bad/improper wired light converter the brake light is feeding back into the parking light circuit.

6. Jun 11, 2012 at 5:55 PM
    Mep

Mep 10 in. Member

Member:
    SW Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB SR5 w/ MT
    ExTang Solid-Fold Tonneau Cover, Weston 3" Step Rails, OE Skid Plate
    I agree. It's most likely in your trailer hook-up.

However, also check for dampness in your floormats. I just had a very similar problem with my Jeep. I traced it to water from a leaking roof that had collected under my floor mats. Eventually enough of it had collected to short out one of the main body connectors. It affected my rear wiper, brake signals, tail gate glass release, radio, door switches etc. Water mixed with traces of road salt makes an excellent conductor. By the time I found the fault, it had melted away most of the connector.

Products Discussed in

To Top