1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Electrical Questions - Switches and fuses

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TacoFNG, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Aug 24, 2016 at 3:28 PM
    TacoFNG

TacoFNG [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Quito, Ecuador
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB TRD Off-Road
    Not much yet
    I have ordered front and rear bumpers from Pelfreybilt, and looking for some advice on the electrical connections for all the lights and winch.

Replacing the front bumper - I am getting the LED bar light, and the LED fog/driving lights. Can I re-use the wiring and switch from my stock fog lights for the LED fog/driving lights? Any advantage or disadvantage to that?

Looking at the extra switches for the LED bar, and the LED lights on the rear bumper. And then there is the Warn winch -

Do I need to get the blue sea fuse setup for all this? Just wire everything individually? Also, really like the Switch-Pro SP8100. If I get that, could I wire everything though it - including the winch - and skip the Blue sea fuse panel??

Yes - If you can't tell yet, I am an electrical NOOB, but thanks - I will skip the blinker fluid. I did wire up all the bed and under hood lights - this seems a bit more complicated.

Thanks in advance!

2. Aug 24, 2016 at 4:09 PM
    JustAddMud

JustAddMud Professional Grease Monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Summerville SC
    Vehicle:
    12 4x4 TRD OR
    Yes
    I can only speak on wiring your LED fog lights to your stock harness as I did that very thing. I first checked the fuse rating of the stock factory fogs and it was 15A, the same as the light pods from Rigid. I gained access to my wiring harness and used a volt meter to find the positive wire so I didn't wire it up backwards. There's only two wires in the loom so it's not to complicated. Get yourself some quality butt splices or weatherproof butt splices. I went a bit beyond and got some 2:1 or 3:1 heat shrink tubing sized at I think 5/16 or 1/4. It's been a while, forgive me. Snip your factory connections off the truck and replace them with the supplied connections from your LED pods. Strip about a 1/4 inch off of both ends, feed your heat shrink if you're using it as well then insert both wire ends into your butt splices and crimp down. Slide heat shrink and using either a heat gun or lighter, snug everything down tight. Wrap with electrical tape and plastic wire wrap if desired.

I wrote this on my phone so the layout leaves much to be desired. If you've never stripped a wire before, practice on scrap before you try it on your own vehicle. You better be comfortable doing everything I wrote before attempting this on your own. Butt splices are cheap, try them on scrap too to make sure you get a solid splice.

As far as benefits, well I get to use my factory fog light switch to turn on and off my Rigid D2s. So that's a plus for me, saves me more room for other switches whenever I get around to building my aux fuse panel and switch pod.

-J

3. Aug 24, 2016 at 5:08 PM
    caribe makaira

caribe makaira Well-Known Member

Member:
    Caribbean, Puerto Rico
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD Offroad AutoTrans
    Hood Struts, My version Fogs always ON, Map & Overhead Light Mod,
    Don't cut anything, get a h11 pigtail and connect L.E.D.'s to them
    [​IMG]

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  4. Aug 25, 2016 at 3:31 PM
    richiep

richiep Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma Access 4WD SR5
    Trd s/c 2.85 pully Walbro 255 f/p Urd stage 3 clutch Hurst core shifter Afe cai
    my truck started a new trick the other day, I started it & went to turn on the blower fan for a/c & it was dead, looked at the dash & all the idiot lights were lit. so I started checking fuse's & relays & after touching the fuse's behind the coin holder the fan went on & lights went off. It happened a few more times & I just have to push on the fuse box & it goes back to normal.
    Anyone have any idea's?

Products Discussed in

To Top