1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

electrical wiring up new train horns

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by packfan88, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Oct 15, 2011 at 7:30 PM
    packfan88

packfan88 [OP] Very Nice !

Member:
    Acworth, GA
    Billy Lift, Cooper STT Pro, Westin Step bars, tinted, rain gaurds, EBC rotors hawk pads
    check out this wiring diagram

http://static.hornblasters.org/manuals/HK-S4-248-RE.pdf

i want to add a toggle switch the the set up the only have the compressor come on when i want it to. If im just running up to the store and dont plan on using my horns I dont want the compressor to have to work. so a on/off switch is in order. Im just not sure where in this series is the best place to put it.

Also, I purchased a 6 position fuse block for this and some other projects im doing. I have some 4 awg wire going from the battery to the fuse block. Should I put a in-line fuse between the fuse block and battery? is there a need for one if all the lines coming out of the block will be fused? If you look at the diagram, they have the wire coming off the battery and then into a 30 amp in-line fuse. In my case it will be coming off the fuse block. If i have a fuse between the battery and the fuse block, wouldnt it have to be very high to handle a bunch of different devices?

And one final thing.
    since im getting my power directly off the battery (via my fuse block and >with my own on/off switch), I dont need to find a wire that is on when the car is on right? i already have the power portion of this schematic covereed correct? So the wire coming off the pressure switch goes to a toggle switch and then instead of like it says on their print, it instead goes to my new fuse block right?

man, i feel so clueless about this shit. im very confused. the only thing automotive electrical Ive done is change a radio or a speaker. nothign like this.

2. Oct 15, 2011 at 7:33 PM
    packfan88

Member:
    Acworth, GA
    Billy Lift, Cooper STT Pro, Westin Step bars, tinted, rain gaurds, EBC rotors hawk pads
    also, I have a cheap ole fuse block (i will buy a better one down the road. im just broke righ tnow lol).

[​IMG]

this is what i got at the store for $10 (except this is an 8 position, mine is a 6)

is this ok to leave under the hood or should I put it inside that cab of the truck?

3. Oct 15, 2011 at 7:35 PM
    4x4jeep

4x4jeep Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Destin FL.
    I would probably but my toggle switch between the (keyed power/ignition ) source so you don't accidentally leave it running. and I have that same fuse panel on my jeep and it seems to do fine under the hood. I recommend just spraying it with some battery terminal protector or something similar to keep it from corroding

4. Oct 15, 2011 at 8:02 PM
    packfan88

Member:
    Acworth, GA

i wont accidentally leave it running. I am kinda OCD and go thru the same motions when ever i get out, stand up, leave a room, ect ect ....wont be a problem lol

the panel....glad to know. I tried looking for a spot under the dashboard but no luck. With the 4awg wire being so rigid its tough to find a spot. Under the hood willwork out so much better. Plus when iget one of those fancy marine panels i won thave to re-run much wire.

if im getting my power off the new block, where would you put a toggle to turn the compressor on off

5. Oct 15, 2011 at 9:21 PM
    4x4jeep

4x4jeep Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Destin FL.
    Instead of running that wire in the diagram to the ignition you would run it to the toggle switch then from the switch to the fuse panel. It will run whenever the switch is on weather or not the key is on.

6. Nov 20, 2011 at 9:52 AM
    Hellomoto

Hellomoto GPV Helicopters inc

Member:
    Cape Canaveral Fl
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 Black
    6" Pro-comp with 3" body lift SS Side bars. SS Bull bar. Dark glass. HID's
    I'm looking to get some train horns, any recommendations on type, make, etc?

7. Nov 20, 2011 at 10:11 AM
    MARSHBUSTER

MARSHBUSTER Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Alamogordo NM
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5 4X4 Tacoma TRD
    Grill Gaurd/ Winch Bumper, Mile Marker 9000 LBS Winch, Custom Head Ache Rack, Custom Rear Bumper, Marathon Camo Max 4 Seat Covers
    I own a company here in New Mexico that does installs on Sheriff and Police units, Fire and EMS units and what and who ever needs it done. On all of my installs I put a 30 to 50 amp maxi fuse on the power source and the butt connect the 4 to 6 awg wire and then run that to the Buss Fuse Block. Most of my fuse blocks are mounted inside under the carpet on the passesnger side mounted on the tranny hump to keep them clean and out of the weather.

Products Discussed in

To Top