1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Electronics Basics and Reference

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by larryde09, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Sep 24, 2010 at 4:35 AM
    larryde09

larryde09 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport, White Double Cab "Yeti"
    Current: DR750S-2CH Dash Cam, USB Fast Charger in stock blank, Hondo Garage phone mount Previous: 2006 Black 2.7L 5-spd SR5 4x4 Access Cab - K&N Cold Air Intake, Modified Magnaflow Cat-back Exhaust, Altezza Tail Lights, Pop&Lock Tailgate Lock, Extang Trifecta Tonneau Cover, PIAA foglights with stock switch, DrawTite Hitch, OBX Shift Knob, Hood Protector, Vent Visors, DIY step bars, DIY Bed Lights, DIY Ground Lights, DIY Tailgate Electrical Box, Aftermarket switches in stock dash blanks, Sony Head Unit, Illuminated 4x4 switch mod
    Good idea, I'm actually wiring a project right now all using the same wire color...it does get confusing. I typically use some misconstrude tape or zip tie marker, but I like your approach better...much more robust and identifiable by others too. Thanks!

2. Sep 24, 2010 at 5:34 AM
    Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Indego Ink TRD OR
    Electric Tail Gate Lock, EZ Down + Cable Mod, Galvanized Underbody, DK 9000, CloudRider SS Grill insert. BakFlip HD, Cabin Air Filter mod, Alarm, Zero Rust !
    Wait till your working on something and a bunch of wires falls off. No numbers your doomed. Guessing how to reattach them could be fatal on some equipment. So you spend the next three weeks tracing them all out with a meter. Been there done that too many times to mention. After you knock all the wires off you find out there is no print for that piece of equipment. Or this is a famous trick to. You open up some box that has been closed for thirty years. It's got a thousand wires inside but bonus there all marked. You touch a single wire and all the numbers fall off all the wires. No clear over top. Or the labels are just black cause they have thirty years of dirt on them. Somebody did all that work and you can't read them anyway.

Now my rule of thumb is I simply refuse to work on things till the wires are marked. I always have my handy marker with me and several packages of numbers. If I have to work on it the first thing I'll do is spend some time marking the wires before anything gets disconnected. When I build equipment I use the clear heat shrink over top. I actually have two different wire label machines, one prints on heat shrink, one makes more permanent high temp plastic labels. I still put clear over top. Equipment needs to be cleaned and if you don't put something over top the labels will disappear over time.

3. Oct 7, 2010 at 10:59 PM
    davidpick

davidpick NWXPDTN

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Leavenworth, WA
    Vehicle:
    1988 Pickup 22R 5sp 2wd
    Weber 32/36, RV Cam, LCE exhaust headers, Desmogged
    thanks very much for this write-up! i have a general knowledge of electronics (just enough to get myself in trouble! :rolleyes:), but after reading through this, i'm feeling much better about my upcoming fog light install!

really appreciate the time and effort in putting this together! :thumbsup:

4. Oct 15, 2010 at 8:38 PM
    larryde09

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    Current: DR750S-2CH Dash Cam, USB Fast Charger in stock blank, Hondo Garage phone mount Previous: 2006 Black 2.7L 5-spd SR5 4x4 Access Cab - K&N Cold Air Intake, Modified Magnaflow Cat-back Exhaust, Altezza Tail Lights, Pop&Lock Tailgate Lock, Extang Trifecta Tonneau Cover, PIAA foglights with stock switch, DrawTite Hitch, OBX Shift Knob, Hood Protector, Vent Visors, DIY step bars, DIY Bed Lights, DIY Ground Lights, DIY Tailgate Electrical Box, Aftermarket switches in stock dash blanks, Sony Head Unit, Illuminated 4x4 switch mod
    I inserted a part on batteries and alternators in the original post to help out with starting problems.

5. Oct 16, 2010 at 1:11 PM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    The voltage output of an alternator is only slightly related to engine speed. It is much more strongly related to the field current, which is supplied by the voltage regulator.

At very low RPM, the alternator may not be able to put out enough voltage even at maximum field current. Think older cars with headlamps that dim at idle. At higher RPM the voltage will be completely controlled by the field current responding to load induced voltage drop. Once you reach the maximum current capacity of the alternator, the voltage will drop no matter what.

6. Jun 27, 2011 at 8:46 AM
    Sullyman

Sullyman Crusty ole' conservative fart

Member:
    Augusta, Georgia area
    Vehicle:
    2010 Black TRD Sport
    Cat-back exhaust, BluLogic, Back-up Camera, Extang Solid Fold Tonnau cover, Pop-n-Lock PL8521 electronic tailgate lock, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Smittybuilt Nerf Step Bars, Toyota bed mat, Tinted the windows darker, CB with custom fab'd antenna mount, Grillcraft grill, AFE Pro Dry S filter with secondary filter removed. Differential breather relocation mod. Bridgestone Dueler AT/Revo 3 tires Weathertech mats Spec-D HID Halo's Bilstein 5100s front set at 2.5" w/OEM springs 4-leaf TSB w/ SkyJacker add-a-leaf 2" block lift 1.5" wheel spacers Freedom Off-Road upper control arms .5" coil spacers ATOTO A6 Android double-din head unit
    I have two questions...
    Can an ATM Add-a-Line work in an ATM LB fuse block? Trying to install a CB in my 2010 TRD Sport DC and can't find the low profile ATM add-a-lines...
    Second question grounding: two parts:
    What is easiest ground to get to from under the center console?
    I plan to run antenna coax dow through grommet under drivers sead...down fram and up between the cab and bed to an antenna mount I fabricated that will ride the back bed rail...what's the easiest/closest ground to get to from there (either inside the bed or under the truck)?
    Thanks guys...

7. Jun 29, 2011 at 8:00 PM
    c hoov

c hoov Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Fla
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner TRD Sport 2WD
    I keep burning out headlights and corner marker lamps. Is 13.8 volts too hight of an output for these lamps?

8. Jun 29, 2011 at 8:42 PM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    No, 13.8 should be fine for them.

9. Jun 30, 2011 at 6:15 PM
    larryde09

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    I'm not familar w/ the ATM's you're referring to, but an ATM fuse will fit in an ATM socket whether it's inline or a fuse block.

Not sure what is the easiest ground under console. There are a couple good ones near the stereo/climate controls. Probably some underneat the seat, but be careful because there are airbag connectors under there...try taking a look at the factory wiring diagrams (search the forum). As for between bed and cab...I'd have to take a look, but there's likely a mounting bolt of some sort that you could try. Maybe running a wire down to the chassis would work well, there are typically ground studs on the chassis.

This shouldn't be a problem, standard battery voltage is easily 13.8 volts. If you're running hotter burning bulbs (i.e. silver stars) then they will burn out faster. A loose ground or high drawing device (e.g. winch or stereo) may be overloading the battery resulting in high current draws. Dirty connectors can cause this too, try using some dielectric grease on the connectors to ensure a good connection, just be sure to clean any corrossion first. Also, be sure not to touch the headlight bulbs before you install them, clean fingers have enough natural oil to compromise a bulb and shorten its life.

10. Jul 1, 2011 at 12:53 PM
    Sullyman

Sullyman Crusty ole' conservative fart

Member:
    Augusta, Georgia area
    Vehicle:
    2010 Black TRD Sport
    Cat-back exhaust, BluLogic, Back-up Camera, Extang Solid Fold Tonnau cover, Pop-n-Lock PL8521 electronic tailgate lock, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Smittybuilt Nerf Step Bars, Toyota bed mat, Tinted the windows darker, CB with custom fab'd antenna mount, Grillcraft grill, AFE Pro Dry S filter with secondary filter removed. Differential breather relocation mod. Bridgestone Dueler AT/Revo 3 tires Weathertech mats Spec-D HID Halo's Bilstein 5100s front set at 2.5" w/OEM springs 4-leaf TSB w/ SkyJacker add-a-leaf 2" block lift 1.5" wheel spacers Freedom Off-Road upper control arms .5" coil spacers ATOTO A6 Android double-din head unit
    Thanks Larry...I ended up running power off the battery and grounded the radio to the base of thet shifter on the center console...Worked well clean sound - no interferance...

11. Sep 14, 2011 at 6:35 PM
    larryde09

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    I traded in my Taco so I'm no longer actively monitoring or updating this thread. Hopefully it was, and continues to be, useful. Good luck everyone...

12. Mar 10, 2012 at 8:12 PM
    hillinsan

hillinsan Active Member

Member:
    Beavercreek,OR
    Vehicle:
    tacoma 4wd TRD
    Can anyone tell me where the fuse is to my gage cluster lights. The dash spedometer does not come on.Nor does my TRD boost gage.

13. Dec 8, 2012 at 6:01 PM
    canucktacoma

canucktacoma Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    gta area, ontario canada
    Vehicle:
    sr5
    question?thinking of trying to put a cig plug up where garage door holder is (2008) taco,would like to plug gps in here so not having wires hanging all over,if put on windshield this could reduce wire length,is there any power besides lites up there,could an outlet be possible up here?

14. Dec 9, 2012 at 10:36 AM
    TacoBrotha

TacoBrotha Active Member

Member:
    Nelson
    Vehicle:
    so sick its not just a bean taco
    so many mods are you kidding
    i have nothing but problems with my wiring my friend said all toyotas have vary poor wiring is this true he said there only good for there engines other then that there just crappy rust buckets should i sell my truck fast lol

15. Dec 11, 2012 at 10:43 AM
    TacosNBurritos

TacosNBurritos Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 T|X TRD
  16. Dec 11, 2012 at 1:47 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    The wires up there are pretty small. But you could always run one up there pretty easily behind the A-pillar cover. You can take the A-Pillar cover off by removing the handle (two bolts under the flaps). Remove the overhead console and you can probably fish a wire through to where the A-pillar meets the roof.

17. Dec 11, 2012 at 1:49 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    Rather than crimps, I prefer posilock connectors. They're much easier to use, much more secure and you can re-use them.

http://www.posi-lock.com/

You can sometimes find them in Walmart where the crimps are.

18. Dec 11, 2012 at 8:41 PM
    TacosNBurritos

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 T|X TRD
    I have a general question. I plan to add 8-10 circuits. Is it logical to add another fuse box. I want everything to look stock.

19. Dec 12, 2012 at 3:40 AM
    SCFirefighter

SCFirefighter on idiot patrol ;)

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2010 DC TRD Sport 4x4 5'
    MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust, ScanGauge II, Map, dome and license plate LED's, Custom Fire/Rescue decals, Weathertech deflectors, Removed mud flaps, Rear spring TSB, Spidertrax spacers, Tinted windows (5%/27%), Black Tacoma badges, 5100 Billstein x4, ToyTec Coilovers, ToyTec TSB AAL, Devil horns, Hose clamp tailgate mod, OEM bed mat, HomeLink module, Hardwire GPS, Weathertech digital fit floor lines, Front Diff drop, Rear Diff breather mod, 4xInnovation welded sliders, Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS+SiriusXM.
    Sounds like a lot of circuits. I'm no electrician but I would say yes.

20. Dec 12, 2012 at 6:43 AM
    TacosNBurritos

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 T|X TRD
    Is there any aftermarket fuse boxes that anyone can recommend or should I just order another fuse box from toyota and install that. I plan to keep all my mods desperate from the factory wiring as to not screw anything up. I realize I will have to tie into some points(ignition circuit) but I want to keep it minimal.

Products Discussed in

To Top