1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Energy suspension lower control arm bushing install 8.3128R

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Justinlhc, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Jan 6, 2016 at 7:19 PM
    Justinlhc

Justinlhc [OP] Not looking for a relationship

Member:
    I did the passenger side first and it kicked my ass. After knowing what I was doing the driver side took much less time and effort.

I only did the lower control arm bushings since I have SPC upper control arms with newer bushings.

First thing to do is jack and support the front of the vehicle.
    Remove the front tire or tires if you are doing both at the same time.
    Remove the lower shock mounting bolt.
    Remove the 2 19mm bolts attaching the lower balljoint to the spindle.
    image.jpg

Support the spindle/hub assembly with a jack stand. Bring it up high so it's out of the way.
    image.jpg

Unbolt and remove the lower control arm eccentrics and remove the lower control arm.
    image.jpg

Grind out about "half" of the flange lip so you can pry off the washer. You only want to grind off half because you need some material to reattach it. The metal parts in the old bushings will be reused. Yes, seriously.
    image.jpg

Once you've ground off enough twist and pry off the bushing. You only need to do one side on each bushing.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

This is the method I used to remove the old bushings. You can use a press or balljoint press tool
    image.jpg

Put a little pressure on the rubber and give it some heat. Eventually it will become soft enough to give it some more pressure and pop out.
    image.jpg

Here comes the fun part. Torch the hell out of the sleeve/rubber that pops out. You need to get ALL of that rubber off.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

Clean all of the rubber off the sleeves as well
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

Burn, scrape, grind and sand any rubber left on the inside of the shell in the control arm. It's important to get it free and clear of anything because the new bushings will rotate in there.
    image.jpg

I strongly urge you to skip this step
    image.jpg

Nice and clean. Ready for bushings
    image.jpg

Press in the new bushings with a vice, press or mallet. Make sure you grease the hell out of them with the supplied grease in the kit. I suggest gloves for this process because that grease will stick to you until the end of time. The larger bushing was a tighter fit for me.
    image.jpg
    Press or hammer in the sleeves into the bushings. Make sure to grease the hell out of them with the supplied grease.
    image.jpg

Here is the tricky part. You need to get those washers back on the sleeves. I used channel locks and bent the lip inwards which worked out great. After you get the washers back on the sleeves you need to bend the flange back over the washer. I used a ball pein hammer and wacked on it with another hammer. This worked perfectly. Make sure the "teeth" on the washer are facing out the same way they were.

image.jpg
    image.jpg

Altogether and ready to reinstall.
    image.jpg

image.jpg

Bolt the lower shock mount back in and 2 lower balljoint bolts. Put the tire(s) back on and drop it.
    image.jpg

To give you an idea the passenger side kicked my ass and took me a couple hours, but the driver side took closer to an hour after learning what needed to be done.

FYI I washed my hands 37 times to take pictures during this process. :bananadead:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  2. Jan 6, 2016 at 11:53 PM
    HiFire

HiFire Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    SR5,4x4,DCSB,Auto
    Weathertech mats, BAMF sliders, US Offroad front winch bumper, RCI Alum. Skid plates, ICON suspension, Pelfreybilt rear bumper, JBA uca's, Allpro u-bolt flip,
    Awesome. Thanks for spilling blood for us.

3. Jan 7, 2016 at 5:02 PM
    Justinlhc

Member:
    After logging some miles on them I can definitely notice a firmer, more positive suspension. I can hear and feel different vibes that I couldn't feel before. I took it on a rip across the desert and it definitely feels better. I must have loosened it up a bit because once I got back on the road the truck seemed to ride much better and tracks like a train. For $66 and a few hours of my time(plus some skin) I'd say it's a worthy upgrade if your bushings are higher mileage like mine, although they still looked to be in great shape.

Wulf and lo2hi like this.
  4. Jan 7, 2016 at 5:20 PM
    LTDSC

LTDSC 32oz of fun

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    NorCal
    Definitely a great write up! Well documented as well.

I did mine not too long ago and didnt have any references so this should help others. I too noticed the same as you did with the new bushings. I got used to it after a few days.

Arcticelf and Justinlhc[OP] like this.
  5. Jan 8, 2016 at 8:34 PM
    pgthe1

pgthe1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Now that the hard work is done, how about selling them to me :)

6. Jan 9, 2016 at 1:15 PM
    Justinlhc

Member:
    If they would have included ALL of the parts necessary to do the install so you don't have to melt, burn, scrape rubber off your old parts then there wouldn't be a "hard" part. I'm still kinda bitter about that. :annoyed:

7. Jan 9, 2016 at 1:29 PM
    adriancast

adriancast Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adrian
    Ontario, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    -2.5 Donahoe Coilovers -All Pro Standard Leaf Pack -All Pro U Bolt Flip Kit -Front/RearWheeler Super Bumps -Extended rear Bilstein 5100s -Flowmaster 40 Series -All Pro IFS Skid -All Pro Transmission Skid -Bruteforce Hybrid Bumper -30" Double Row LED bar -400 Watt Anytime -TRD Seat Covers -ABS Kill Switch -Locking Center Console Mod -Rear Differential Breather -BHLM -Anytime Fog Light Mod -Toyota Hilux Snorkel
    Hell yea. i've been trying to buy these bushing for the past couple of days but no one seems to know what exactly comes in their kit (not even energy suspension) Do you have a link where you purchased? i also just need to replace just the bottoms since i have icon ucas now.

8. Jan 9, 2016 at 1:35 PM
    Justinlhc

Member:
    Jet has them even cheaper than I got them for.
    https://jet.com/product/detail/5fa9...95a34894937f&gclid=CMHE96PXncoCFZOBfgodNyIE_g

For the lowers it only comes with the 4 bushings. You have to reuse washers and sleeves from your old bushings.

9. Jan 9, 2016 at 1:42 PM
    adriancast

Member:
    First Name:
    Adrian
    Ontario, Ca
    Vehicle:
    -2.5 Donahoe Coilovers -All Pro Standard Leaf Pack -All Pro U Bolt Flip Kit -Front/RearWheeler Super Bumps -Extended rear Bilstein 5100s -Flowmaster 40 Series -All Pro IFS Skid -All Pro Transmission Skid -Bruteforce Hybrid Bumper -30" Double Row LED bar -400 Watt Anytime -TRD Seat Covers -ABS Kill Switch -Locking Center Console Mod -Rear Differential Breather -BHLM -Anytime Fog Light Mod -Toyota Hilux Snorkel
  10. Jan 9, 2016 at 1:46 PM
    Justinlhc

Member:
    ?? No, 1 set will do both sides. There are only 2 bushings per lower control arm.

1 kit does BOTH uppers and lowers.

11. Jan 9, 2016 at 2:52 PM
    adriancast

Member:
    First Name:
    Adrian
    Ontario, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Oh ok. Haha that's what I couldn't figure it out or anyone else. So I just need that one kit to do all lower bushings on the UCAs.

12. Jan 10, 2016 at 4:37 PM
    Arcticelf

Arcticelf Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Gladiator
    Good write up. Do you notice and crunch or banging noises?

One pro-tip: use the least amount of flame possible to get those things appart. It's tempting to just burn the shit out of them, but the resulting soot will haunt you to the grave.

I move 3 states awayband still have that black shit in random places....

AE

13. Jan 11, 2016 at 1:02 AM
    Justinlhc

Member:
    Haven't noticed any noises. :confused: I'm a nazi about unwanted noises so I'll be all over it if/when that happens. Do yours make noises?

Even with torching the hell out of the rubber it was still difficult to remove. I probably could have cut a good part of them off first, but I figured I'm going to have to burn them anyways. I've got a pile of burnt rubber in the backyard still :oops:

Crom likes this.
  14. Jan 11, 2016 at 6:17 AM
    Arcticelf

Arcticelf Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Gladiator
    I'm not sure if its the energy bushings or something else. I also have aftermarket UCAs, and moog alignment bolts. I think that's where its coming from, as the Moog bolts are a little smaller in diameter than stock.

There is no good answer, other than energy selling a kit with all the hardware, or going to a drelin bushing.

MTopp likes this.
  15. Jan 11, 2016 at 7:06 AM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    Nice write up

16. Jan 20, 2016 at 8:59 PM
    adriancast

Member:
    First Name:
    Adrian
    Ontario, Ca
    Vehicle:
    So do you definitely need the torch? (I don't have one) I am going to attempt this tomorrow along with my lower ball joints.

Crom likes this.
  17. Jan 20, 2016 at 9:07 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    Outstanding writeup for the ES bushings!

I'm gonna do mine real soon, but may try a different brand with the metal bits included.

18. Jan 20, 2016 at 9:21 PM
    EB Group

EB Group Carbon Jedi

Member:
    First Name:
    Rudy
    Halifax
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport DCSB 6M
    Well done OP. I feel your pain with regards to trying to work and take pictures. Arghhh
    Thank you for washing your hands and taking the time to do this, seriously.

I have one important question though, if I use a ball pein hammer to get those washers back on, does the handle need to be made of hickory?

whiskeytacos and Crom like this.
  19. Jan 21, 2016 at 5:00 PM
    Justinlhc

Member:
    I really don't see any other way. That rubber needs to be thoroughly removed from the metal one way or another.

20. Jan 21, 2016 at 5:01 PM
    Justinlhc

Member:
    I don't think the handle matters at all :confused:. I only used it as a "press" to bend the lip back over to grip the washer. It doesn't even need a handle to get the job done. :thumbsup:

EB Group[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top