1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Engine Break-in

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Okkine, Nov 26, 2008.

?

Engine Break-In

1. Hard Break-In: Get those RPM's up

133 vote(s)
    11.5%
  2. Easy Break-In: Keep the RPM's low

640 vote(s)
    55.3%
  3. Doesn't make a difference

385 vote(s)
    33.2%
  1. Nov 28, 2008 at 4:35 PM
    TSUNAMI*22

TSUNAMI*22 Obama can suck-it

Member:
    Stockton, CA
    Vehicle:
    '07 Standard Cab / White / 2.7 I4
    ScanGuage 2 equipped. Toyota DIY aftermarket Cruise Control mod

I did exactly the opposite of what the factory book said to do. I drove it off the lot and immediately drove 4.5 hours, varying the speed every 1/2 hour by 10 mph between 65 and 85 mph...including the GraveVine climb and descent while on the way to Los Angeles.

First oil change was at 5,000 miles and I now run Mobil 1 filters and synthetic 5w/30.

I must have done something right because I get consistent great mileage on my 2.7L 5-speed.

60 mph highway = 33.0 - 33.5 mpg
    65 mph highway = 31.1 - 32.0 mpg
    70 mph highway = 28.2 - 29.9 mpg
    75 mph highway = 27.5 - 28.0 mpg

...........I also run a water bottle sized volume of 10% Marvel mystery oil to 90% acetone every other tank of fuel.

Who knows?

2. Nov 28, 2008 at 9:35 PM
    -TRDMAN-

-TRDMAN- ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Clarion Pa
    Vehicle:
    F-150
    I don't understand all you guys with the 2.7 5 spds get around 27-30mph?????? I am lucky if i ever see 22mpg....

3. Nov 29, 2008 at 9:03 AM
    TSUNAMI*22

Member:
    Stockton, CA
    Vehicle:
    It depends mainly on if you accelerate with an eggshell under your foot. Gearing and ride height play a factor too. Do you live in hilly terrain? Are the roads rough and bumpy. Do you have fat oversized tires? Do you drive 75 and above? Do you rev past 2,000 rpm's between shift points? Do you have a ton of dried mud and crap sticking to the underside of your vehicle?

The first thing you might wanna invest in is a ScanGuage II unit. It's an awesome tool.

http://www.scangauge.com/

4. Nov 29, 2008 at 10:04 AM
    OU812

OU812 ban the term murdered out

Member:
    First Name:
    danusa
    Kilroy was here
    Vehicle:
    13 DblCab LB 4X4
    Nothing yet, brand new!
    The only thing I did on mine was avoid towing with it for the first 3500 miles. Other than that I varied my speed a lot and drove it like I stole it. At 7500 I switched to full synthetic oil.

5. Nov 29, 2008 at 11:30 AM
    Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hopkinton,MA
    Vehicle:
    Nice 6spd,V6, very solid truck
    None currently, but I would like a better sounding exhaust and perhaps a cold air pack and some color coded step bars
    Don't know if any of the group reads R/T , there as the exact question on break in of a new motor and the various reasons for the current thinking.
    Some of R/T's answers were mechanical design and tighter machine tolerances, more rigid blocks and better cyclinder head castings, round holes that stay round and flat surfaces that stay flat- thats a quote. Also internal tolerances are tighter and a step up in metallurgy and lubricants.
    They talked (in general) about heat cycles and mentioned that the majority of the piston ring seating is probably done in the first 25 miles.
    They also commented that the "drive it carefully for the first XXXX miles was fostered by the dealers to avoid warranty problems and to set driver behavioral patterns.
    This is an article in the Tech Correspondence section of the Jan 09 issue of Road and Track.
    This sort of mirror's what everyone has been saying.
    Jeff , 06,v6,6spd, SR5 4x4,

Jeff,

6. Nov 29, 2008 at 1:14 PM
    RoyB

RoyB Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chicago burbs
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD DC Sport
    all my new vehicles I have waited till about, oh, 70 miles before i beat the snot out of them. All my new vehicles have also had some of the quickest track times breaking them in that way as well :) coicidence maybe?

Never kept any of them past 50K miles to see how long-term was. I broke my tacoma in the same way so i guess we will see.

7. Dec 1, 2008 at 2:45 PM
    -TRDMAN-

-TRDMAN- ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Clarion Pa
    Vehicle:
    F-150
    No mud i can't on my new truck im still in that "it's to new stage!" but i live in the mountains of pa so that probly does it....

8. Dec 1, 2008 at 5:13 PM
    Gerry Pope

Gerry Pope Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    07 4X4 PreRunner
    ...........I also run a water bottle sized volume of 10% Marvel mystery oil to 90% acetone every other tank of fuel.

Who knows?[/quote]

Would you like to 'splain the recipe you useand its purpose?

9. Dec 1, 2008 at 8:21 PM
    MacTaco

MacTaco Mustache May

Member:
    Pensacola, Florida
    Vehicle:
    06 Indigo, Lifted, Flowmaster
    Skyjacker 3" Lift, 285/75/R16 Toyo M/T tires/ Eagle Alloy Wheels, Flowmaster 50 Series, Pioneer Din Head Unit, Viper Alarm/Remote Start System, Debadged, DT Headers, True Flow Intake
    The day I got the truck, I asked about it, and the dealer said that there is no required break in period. He said do whatever you want. Go ahead and push it hard. Can't hurt it. Haha.

10. Dec 2, 2008 at 2:53 AM
    MurphMan

MurphMan Senility Rocks!

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    '08 Tacoma TRD Sport
    * AFE Stage 2 XP CAI System * Westin Platinum Series Black Step Bars * TruXedo Lo Pro QT Soft Roll-Up Tonneau * Dee Zee Heavyweight Truck Bed Mat * WeatherTech Extreme-Duty Floor Liners * WeatherTech In-Channel Window Visors * Sony Xplod CDX-GT81UW Receiver * Sony Xplod 2-way speakers * Boss Audio BASS600 Amplified Subwoofer * Billet Grille Mod
    I'm not so sure either of your answers make sense - at least to me. A new engine has mechanical tolerances that are at it's tightest spec when first put together. Once its run out for a bit, it has a chance to loosen up a bit from initial wear and tear - the main reason you'd typically get better mpg after a few thousand miles than when still new. Chris mentions the break in of the rings - also very important to properly seal the cylinders and promote proper lubrication. This is usually done at the factory to minimize warranty claims once the consumer gets the vehicle.

Bottom line, I'm old school and believe in not mashing down the throttle for the first 5K miles, but not over babying it either. It should never be constantly run at the same RPM - should always vary from low to high. But never accelerate harshly until the engine has a chance to loosen up from its breakin period. I also never recommend synthetic during a break in. Dino is better and should be changed out at 2K and then at 5K where synthetic can be introduced. Always swap out the oil filter too. The by-product of a break in is metal particles in the oil, thus the need to change it out.

This is how I've treated everything I've owned and built from lawnmowers to bikes to vehicles and never had a problem. Might be old school, but if it's tried and proven then I see no reason to change, especially if your motor is one you need to depend on for a long time. You take care of it, it will take care of you.

11. Dec 3, 2008 at 10:03 PM
    awoit

awoit Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD, SR5
    i think its good to take it medium on the engine during break in while still trying to do whatever your manual says. Theres a reason why different cars have different specs and such. The article posted said the first 20 miles on the engine is the most important time to break in the engine. unless you order your tacoma straight from the assembly line i dont think thats gonna work out. I had 35 miles on mine when i got it from the dealer.

IMO do what your manual says, the people who make these engines obviously have the best knowledge of what they are capable of and probably do the most/best tests for their product

12. Dec 4, 2008 at 12:43 AM
    Okkine

Okkine [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    1998 Tacoma, V6, Manual Transmission, 4x4
    I do agree, but just to play the Devil's advocate I'll throw a conspiracy theory in there .... :devil: His later articles claim that the reason they tell you to take it easy is that:

A: If they tell you to drive it hard, they'll end up with lawsuits on their hands from people who crash their brand new car/truck/bike.

B: Taking it easy dosen't allow the rings to seal properly, which causes more engine damage in the long run (after warranty expires), which in turn means more money from repair work down the road.

13. Dec 4, 2008 at 4:22 AM
    Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hopkinton,MA
    Vehicle:
    Nice 6spd,V6, very solid truck
    None currently, but I would like a better sounding exhaust and perhaps a cold air pack and some color coded step bars
    I don't agree with OKKine's conspiracy theory, especially A. , no dealer is going to tell you to drive it hard, I do believe that driving it normal will seat the rings etc.

I keep hearing how all toyota engines are broken in at or during assembly somewhere, I would really like to know if thats true. Some one of the Taco members must know someone that works for Toyota.

If you look at all the Taco's in use all over the US, especially those people that buy there Taco's and don't really care or know about breaking an engine in, there are millions of them and being typical Toyota's they run a very long time with out engine problems.

Jeff , 06 V6, SR5, 4x4, 6spd

14. Dec 4, 2008 at 4:53 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Do a compresion test on a new engine. If the rings are not seated the comp ratio will be lower than whats required. I cant remember the numbers, but my last Tacoma the comp ratio's were right inline with what they should be. The numbers were still in spec at 100,000 miles as well. Engine break in also affects emissions, as if the rings are not seated properly, there will be too much oil blow by, and the engine may burn it, thus eventually, ruining the cats, and smokeing. The auto makers arent going to let Joe Public do the major part of an engine break in, as (Im guessing) 1 out of only 200 people really know how to do it properly.

15. Feb 1, 2009 at 9:56 AM
    whitebread

whitebread Well-Known Member

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR 4x4 6MT
    I broke my taco in per the owners manual. I have no reasoning for this.

However, I broke in my previous car (a VW R32) per the Mototune article. With 700 miles on the clock I had her put on an AWD dyno (prior to doing mods) and it actually produced 11 more HP at the wheels than was spec'd out by the manufacturer at the crank. TIFWIW. :confused:

16. Feb 1, 2009 at 10:13 AM
    TSUNAMI*22

Member:
    Stockton, CA
    Vehicle:

Would you like to 'splain the recipe you useand its purpose?[/QUOTE]

I used this mixture to ensure (in my mind) that no carbon build-up crap could immediately start to form on any of the intake valve parts while the vehicle was breaking-in. The Marvel mystery oil is added to basically just give the fuel pump a little extra lube during this process.

I have no idea if this process works for sure, but I swear to my average in-town and highway mileage experiences.

In-town: Still getting 22 -24 mpg
    Highway: Still getting 28.5 or better at speeds of 65-70 on cruise.

Sorry it took so long to answer your question. I don't get thread updates on my e-mail very often for this site.

Incidentally, I recently made a 678 mile round-trip (highway only) at a cruise-control speed of 75 mph and averaged 28.9 mpg full tank to full tank. I had a big help provided by a tour style bus that held 80 mph from Grapevine to Los Banos, CA. I tucked in behind him at about 40 feet and matched his setting. Drafting really helps gas mileage.

17. Feb 26, 2009 at 2:55 PM
    Bakemono

Bakemono Wrath of the runbird

Member:
    Southern Wisconsin, USA
    Vehicle:
    '09 Toyota Tacoma regular cab 4x2
    Just drive it as you normally would. You dont need to abuse it, nor do you need to baby it.
    Ive seen that Mototune article on various forums and its a bunch of BS.

18. Feb 27, 2009 at 3:49 AM
    Joe B

Joe B Well-Known Member

Member:
    No cruise control,varying highway speeds and a change to synthetic at 1200 miles worked for me.
    Then I drove normal.I've done this with all my new vehicles.
    Vehicles,including many high end, come with synthetic from the factory.A 5K mile wait isn't necessary with today's engines.

19. Mar 6, 2009 at 4:10 PM
    ghostboy808

ghostboy808 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Silver Mica Prerunner TRD Sport
    Gibson SS, TRD S/C
    Initially run it for one tank at varying speeds then shut it off and make sure the piston is a bdc. Let it cool down and turn the hsn clockwise 1/4 turn start it up and run it for another tank and do the same process over until the 7th or 8th tank...wait a minute...

20. Jun 14, 2009 at 4:39 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Seems to me that if "break-in" (what's not already done at factory) is metal on metal wear, it would be a completed process after a certain number of RPM, not a certain number of miles.

Whether or not it affected alignment of engine components would seem to depend on whether or not enough heat was generated to impact the plasticity of the metals the engine is made of.

I have a hard time believing any of this stuff would be left up to the uneducated public to take care of an assess, otherwise warranty claims would be out the ass. I tend to think you're fine driving a new vehicle normally off the bat.

250 of the first 500 miles on my new Taco have been interstate miles using cruise control. She seems happy enough.

Products Discussed in

To Top