1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Engine Break-in

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Okkine, Nov 26, 2008.

?

Engine Break-In

1. Hard Break-In: Get those RPM's up

133 vote(s)
    11.5%
  2. Easy Break-In: Keep the RPM's low

640 vote(s)
    55.3%
  3. Doesn't make a difference

385 vote(s)
    33.2%
  1. Oct 25, 2009 at 6:31 PM
    Mr_Torque

Mr_Torque Buy the Ticket take the Ride.....

Member:
    Perkasie,PA
    Vehicle:
    '07 Tacoma SR5 4WD V-6 6 Spd
    MBRP Exhaust, 17" FJ Steelies w/Firestone AT's, Truxedo Lopro ,Timbren SES, Pioneer FH-X720BT HU & TS-C720PRS Component Speakers, TRD Quickshifter, Bilstein 6112/5160, Light Racing UCA, and Icon Progressive add a leaf.
    Did you just say that if you rev your new engine over 3K that the oil filter is bypassed? It's my understanding that on a good filter the bypass only activates when the filter is clogged. That's why it's so important to change your dirty filter. I call BS on the RPM/pressure bypass theory on break-in.

2. Oct 25, 2009 at 7:05 PM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    To be fair, certain vehicles do have "full flow" design which filters all oil all the time, usually in compact cars. Typically truck which tend to work harder are no full flow. However, not knowing whether our engines are full flow or not im not going to take the chance.

3. Oct 25, 2009 at 7:15 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    The Tacoma Filter is not bypassed at certain RPM.s Only if a blockage is causing an issue. For it to be an RPM related bypass, there would have to be some connection from the ECU to the Oil Filter.

4. Oct 25, 2009 at 7:16 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Most every filter is a "Full Flow" filter. As far as I have found, no engine in an autoo or a truck has an RPM gauged by pass of the oil system.

5. Oct 25, 2009 at 7:22 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Yoytoda...You used a die grinder to cut the filter open...You DO realize that by useing that, the filter also caught some of the metal being shot thru the houseing from the grinder...Right?

6. Oct 25, 2009 at 7:43 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Another little tid bit of info...."Full Flow" has to do with the oil system on the vehicle, rather than the filter.
    full-flow = all of the oil flows through the filter before reaching the engine's working parts. All of the oil is cleaned on its every circuit through the engine

7. Oct 25, 2009 at 7:46 PM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    I wasnt saying RPM related i was just saying that its related to pressure and volume and you get more pressure and volume at higher RPMs. I used a 4in grinder not die grinder and i used it to thin the tin housing enough to easily puncture it. I actually used aviation snips to cut the filter open. It was surprisingly dirty. I will eat my words if im not correct. Im just posting what i have been told by reputable people with mechanical engineering degrees. But, my father and uncles are old and things were deffinately different back in the day. Im no mechanical engineer, im an electrical service engineer :p. Not trying to step on anyone and not wanting to be called a BSer just relaying what i was taught and why i breakem' in slow. Do whatever you want i follow the manual and drive slow for the first 1000, and change the oil and filter at 600miles to be extra cautious Dirt= Bad. Cheap insurance IMO

8. Oct 25, 2009 at 7:50 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,

Not calling anyone a bs'er. :) Just throwing stuff out there for all to learn. I know the engines have an internal pressure limiter preventing to much oil pressure in an engine. For example, cold starts, when the oil is cold. Most engines reach max oil PSI around 2500 to 3500 rpm. The valve keeps the psi constant. This is in the oil pump assembly, and not the filter.

9. Feb 11, 2010 at 3:26 PM
    toyotadude5

toyotadude5 Breazeale- Pronounced Brazil

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    Flagstaff, az
    Vehicle:
    2006 Subaru wrx sti (white)
    when i had my engine swap in my 88 toyota pickup, i broke it in by driving freeway, Id gas up to 40 then back down a bit, then up to 50 and back down a bit then 60 and so on, i tried to keep the rpms all over the place, but not be too rough on it, and definitly do not rev it all the way or redline it.

10. Feb 11, 2010 at 5:10 PM
    dog tired

dog tired Well-Known Member

Member:
    NE Ohio
    I run a magnet on the oil filter till at least 10,000 miles after that I do not think it matters much . It has broken in enough that there will be no metal shavings IMO

11. Feb 13, 2010 at 6:30 PM
    beetlejuice2275

beetlejuice2275 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Reximus
    Queens, NY
    Vehicle:
    Drift inspired 08 Reg Cab
    custom ram air. blacked badges, hids, rewired front turn signals and park lights, URD short shifter, Pioneer t-screen (no nav), 10" 1200 watt.
    there are so many different theories....my brain is hurting just thinking about it.

they all sound correct.

I'm going through my files in my head and if i'm correct, engines are ran at the factory on a dyno for a number of miles before it got into your truck. So it's pretty much broken in. So i would suggest just driving it normally as you would to break in everything else.

And if I'm correct, rings seat...depending on the grit used to hone the walls and the composition of the rings...they're ususal seat in a very short amount of time.

From all the different theories i've heard....I liked "drive it like you would normally"

but if its a fresh one you've overhaul like I have...you should take it out on a quiet street long enough and without traffic -quiet street and have it in 2nd.

Put a decent load..maybe half throttle up from 1k to 4k and let it engine brake down to 1k and back up to 4k...do this a good few times and you should be good.

throttling up pushes the rings out to help seat...and the negative pressure during engine braking does the same but in the other direction.

HOLLA!

12. Feb 13, 2010 at 11:41 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    All I know is I was easy to it the first 700mi, after that a few full throttle accell runs to about 80 here and there, and lots of crusing while varying rpm range. After about 1500 I considered it good and now I redline her just about every day.... runs like a bat out of hell and smiles while doing it :D

13. Feb 18, 2010 at 3:13 PM
    Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hopkinton,MA
    Vehicle:
    Nice 6spd,V6, very solid truck
    None currently, but I would like a better sounding exhaust and perhaps a cold air pack and some color coded step bars
    Yes its true most engines are run at the factory to make sure there are no major problems, leaks etc. The two basic rules of thumb are not to lug it nor to over rev it the first 500 miles. One key to some of this is they tell you( in the manual) specific mileage before you tow anything. There is a reason for that, I believe its 1000miles.
    They obviously don't want any over due straining of the engine.
    Mostly common sense, regarding engine break in.........now if you rebuild a motor, there are specific idea's on that too and I would imagine they vary, most crankshaft, camshaft makers all provide specific rules as to assembly and break in and they should be followed to the letter.

Jeff, 06, V6, SR5 , 6spd Radian Red

14. Feb 18, 2010 at 6:47 PM
    litlcrickett

litlcrickett Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Sanford, NC
    Vehicle:
    2010 Reg Cab 4x4
    Im driving mine like I stole it! Hit 1100 miles today. Dont see how it takes 1000 or so miles to break a engine in. With the transfer of heat within the engine everything should be set, more or less, when it gets to operating temp for awhile. Never even worry about breakin time. Seems to me that if you baby it for the first 1000 then run it hard it would be no different than runnin it hard right off the lot.

15. Feb 19, 2010 at 5:29 AM
    Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hopkinton,MA
    Vehicle:
    None currently, but I would like a better sounding exhaust and perhaps a cold air pack and some color coded step bars
    I don't know if it takes 1000 miles to break in, but they do suggest that you don't tow anything until you have reached 1000 miles. There is a reason for that, otherwise they would not bother to put it in the manual.
    500 miles comes very quickly in most cases, its certainly not a great idea to redline it when its brand new( I presume thats what you do when you "drive it like you stole it")
    No need to baby a new engine either, just let it warm up and treat it right and those break in miles fly by .
    If you don't plan on keeping your truck long term, it really doesn't matter how you treat it.

Jeff, 06 v6, SR5, 6spd

16. Feb 19, 2010 at 2:52 PM
    Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hopkinton,MA
    Vehicle:
    Everyone to their own choices, of course, thank God for good tolerances in the Taco factory. Just can't see beating up something that costs as much as a new truck.
    However, that's why they make chocolate and vanilla. I am sure you have good luck with your trucks, its just I would not buy a truck that I knew was hammered....
    Jeff, 06, V6, SR5 6spd

17. Feb 19, 2010 at 2:54 PM
    zimm52

zimm52 Well-Known Member

Member:
    sneakin up behind you
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner TRD Off Road
    nothing yet!
    I only have 260 miles on mine right now and I have been driving it just like I normally would. No hard accelerations or quick stops. The only thing that I really have going against me is a short commute of 24 miles total.

18. Feb 27, 2010 at 8:17 AM
    tig1

tig1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Saint John,New Brunswick,Canada
    Vehicle:
    2009 tacoma
    n fabs,window visor tonneau ,bilstein 5100's all round.245/75R16Toyo A/T II
    now this is what my dealer told me on breaking in my engine.they(the dealer) do not consider my engine fully broke in until 16000 kms or roughly 8000mls,i'm just going to drive it until it falls apart.

later tig1

19. Feb 27, 2010 at 9:54 AM
    ODICA

ODICA 06 TACOMA 4X4

Member:
    First Name:
    Earl
    Beaumont, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4X4 SR5
    IMO the break in period for this tacoma's are 100,000 miles.

20. Feb 27, 2010 at 2:10 PM
    Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hopkinton,MA
    Vehicle:
    tig1, thats a interesting remark from your dealer. 8K is a lot of break in miles. Next time you speak to them you might ask them why, then again with the way Toyota has been acting lately, I would have to wonder about the response.
    Jeff, 06, V6 SR5, 6spd

Products Discussed in

To Top