1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Engine or transmission the culprit?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Franette, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Dec 19, 2009 at 2:46 PM
    Franette

Franette [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    4-Cyl
    As an owner with little time to look this up, I need answers to the following:

(1) Does this Tacoma have a timing belt? What would happen if it goes out; how much damage would it do - ruin the engine? (I'm at 93K now; purchased the vehicle at 147K; so now have 230K)

(2) Is there a connection between timing belts and cylinder compression? I'm running on 20% compression in one cylinder until I decide if buying an engine is worth it. Is it?

(3) Is there a reason the engine would not turn off with the keys out of the ignition place and the brakes on? (The only way I got out of this one was the burning of my starter which the mechanic said was due to the battery; so can a battery keep a car on when the keys are out?

(4) Sorry for the ignorance, but does my transmission need flushing which I never heard from my regular (5-yr) mechanic? Could the lack of flushing a transmission cause the truck to halt (twice) when going 25 mph and, eventually proceed?

(5) What is ruined in a truck by driving with the engine light flashing?

2. Dec 19, 2009 at 3:06 PM
    kevhogaz

kevhogaz Low Speed, High Drag

Member:
    Queen Creek, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    SR5 PreRunner
    3" lift front & rear, Air Raid Intake System
    Hope this helps.

3. Dec 19, 2009 at 3:15 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    YOu really need to find the time and do some research.
    www.google.com will point you to this and other forums.

Look in your owners manual. It'll tell you the maintenance interval of just about everything - including when to have the fluid changed in the transmission.
    If you have an Auto Transmission, I would recommend having it flushed when the fluides are changed.
    If you have a manual transmission - you don't need to flush it.

Yes - you may or may not cause damage to your truck while running with the engine light flashing. You need to find out why the engine light is on....go to Autozone or the dealer and have the computer codes pulled.

Products Discussed in

To Top