1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

engine predetonation?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by graywolf2011, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Jun 13, 2012 at 8:15 PM
    graywolf2011

graywolf2011 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orlando Florida
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma 4X4
    undercover hard toneau, stainless steel nfab step bars
    My 2011 Taco 4.0L V6 started making a engine "rattling sound", like pinging, but not as "tenny" sounding. Its hard to describe, it happens at low speed, 35mph or below, under very light acceleration(enough to maintain speed). It sounds like it is going to ping and just "rattles" instead. I took it to dealer and they said its normal :rolleyes: They called tech services and the guy told them he has a 2012 Taco that makes the same noise, said it is the VVTI. I tried a tank of premium and the noise stopped :confused: which kinda doesn't support the VVTI theory. Anyone else experience this "rattling noise"?

2. Jun 13, 2012 at 8:40 PM
    BlackSeven

BlackSeven Grab your helmet, this shits about to get retarded

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    '10 Reg Cab 4x4
    Toytec Ultimate Lift kit, Toytec Rear AAL, 4.88 Gears, ARB Rear locker, Doug Thorley header, Volant Cold Air Intake, Demello Offroad front high clearance bumper, ARB On board Air compressor, BLHM, Wet Okoles, 2011 Color matched grill, Weathertech mats, 4x Innovations Sliders, ATO Engine Skid plate, ATO High lift bed mounts.
    The solution is to hook up one of the Toyota diagnostic computers and look for knock events in the ecu. If its out of specification it will throw a check engine light but they should be able to see the knock count in the ecu anyway. Bad gas will cause pinging, even crappy gas (in this area that would be wawa and royal farms). Try filling up at a shell station with regular and see if it knocks.

3. Jun 14, 2012 at 4:27 PM
    iroh

iroh Well-Known Member

Member:
    michigander
    Vehicle:
    07 AC SR5 2.7 5MT 4x4
    tonneau
    Mine will ping like that on regular gas every time. I just run premium instead, although most of it is gone on midgrade.

If you get a lot of pinging even in those sporadic situations, the ECU starts to pull timing everywhere (I've seen it happen real-time on the ultragauge) and cruising mileage will take a dump until it tries to bring it back up again.

4. Oct 28, 2013 at 11:36 AM
    TacoMan31

TacoMan31 Member

Member:
    My 2012 does the same and it really pisses me off. Dealer swears up and down that its not an issue. I run premium too.

Products Discussed in

To Top