1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Engine turns on then dies

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas' started by rondog, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Wife's Rav4 throws fits when the battery is replaced.

Have to keep feathering the gas to keep it idling for the first 3 or 4 restarts.

It's enough of a PITA to reprogram the audio system after pulling the battery... I'm seriously considering adding an aux "charging port" near the fuse box and connecting a motorcycle battery to it when I need to replace mine.

2. BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 ASE Master Tech Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    Multi-point tow hooks, new bored 2.7L engine, custom paint. 3 inch adjustable Fabtech front coils, 2.5 inch rear AAL. Front Aussie locker. LED bed lights. Full LED conversion interior and exterior. Relentless Fabrication front and rear bumpers. 4X4innovation sliders. BAMF bed rack. CVT rooftop tent.
    Rich, when I was at GM, we had a little 9V battery and a cigarette lighter adapter that we used to keep things like the memory in the PCM, clock, and radio. You just have to make sure you do not open the doors. We would plug the adapter into the power port (Has to be the one that is always live, not key operated) and then get out, close the door, and then swap out the battery.

As to why some have trouble and some don't, I really can't give you a 100% answer. I have had some that didn't bat an eye at the battery disconnected, and others who threw a FIT after a disconnect.

3. pvfd1270

pvfd1270 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Polkville, NC
    Vehicle:
    06 tacoma dlb cab 4x4
    Fab four bumper

My 99 did this same thing one time and it done it before heading to the beach come to fine out all it was was that the air filter box wasnt shut all the way. Had check all before leavin and didnt get shut all the way or worked lose. It was simple thing but it fixed it.

4. Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Ya, my Tundra was no problem, likewise for my '94, but even though it was EFI, it was OBD-1

I thought about the 9v adapter... used that on my motorcycle any time I removed the fairing, but the Taco requires the key to be on, and I'm not too keen on shorting the relay.

What I'll likely do some day is rewire the outlets so one is on 24/7 and one is switched. I like the switched outlet so I don't have to worry about the cell charger dumping the battery if I go on a trip and leave the truck parked for a week or more.

To Top