1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Entune system restarting

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Toneloc, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Feb 23, 2016 at 11:42 AM
    Toneloc

Toneloc [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northwest PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB 4x4 TRD OR
    I don't know what the proper term is for the touch screen system, assuming it's entune?

At any rate, I've notice an issue when my Iphone 5 is plugged into it, where it will start going into a mode where it's constantly re-starting.

It's just a like a computer re-booting.

Last week I was on a 3 hr trip, and it started to do it about 1.5 hrs into the trip. I actually timed it, and it was restarting every 8 minutes.

I unplugged my phone and it quit doing it.

I though it might have something to do with once it reached full charge on my phone battery....

But then the other day it restarted, and the battery hadn't yet reached full charge on my phone.

No clue at this point....

Anyone else have any issues like this?

Leestaco likes this.
  2. Feb 23, 2016 at 11:44 AM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    This is a problem with Entune trucks going back into the second gen build.. contact your dealer.

In short, Entune has a history of being buggy and restarting/freezing/crashing.

The 2nd gen trucks had a software update that helped, but didn't fix completely.

3. Feb 23, 2016 at 1:11 PM
    littlechilds

littlechilds skyhawk

Member:
    Cowtown
    Vehicle:
    16 trd sport Upgrade package DCLB
    KO2 tires, TRD pro rims. BP skid plate, Extang 2.0 cover, dipped grill and badges
    Yes, absolutely ridiculous we have these issues on $40k+ trucks, but it is VERY common, and seems to be no real fix other then some claiming a software update will do the trick. Mine does this after an hr or so on the road. This and truck vibrations are pissing me off to the extent of dumping my truck.
    My dealership is aware now, and said they will keep it on file, and be reminded every time I come in for a oil change.

4. Feb 23, 2016 at 2:01 PM
    Lawfarin

Lawfarin Who me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Beetle Juice
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2024 GMC Sierra
    First I would try and do a hard reset on my phone if it's doing it while plugged in, this may or may not help but worth a shot. Usually this fixes most Bluetooth issues while try to pair or being already paired to a system.

It could be worse, it could be a 50 or 60k truck and have similar problems

5. Feb 23, 2016 at 2:33 PM
    DanielTaco

DanielTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Iceland
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma DCSB TRD OR 3.5
    Do not plug your iphone into usb while it's also paired with bluetooth. Very common issue, and it's even mentioned in the owners manual. Use a USB adapter in the power outlet if you need to charge.

6. Feb 23, 2016 at 5:40 PM
    Toneloc

Toneloc [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northwest PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB 4x4 TRD OR
    Thanks, that is helpful that at least there is a definitive cause, but sucks, cause that was a feature I did enjoy.....minor item, but liked not having to use the power outlet.

7. Mar 2, 2016 at 2:11 PM
    highwhey

highwhey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma OR m/t
    Just noticed this started happening in my truck as well. It restarted about 4 times today alone. I'm not even playing music.

8. Mar 2, 2016 at 2:15 PM
    DanielTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Iceland
    Vehicle:
    Do you have an iphone and is it plugged in and connected to bluetooth?

9. Mar 2, 2016 at 2:24 PM
    highwhey

highwhey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma OR m/t
    Yes and Yes

10. Mar 2, 2016 at 2:25 PM
    DanielTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Iceland
    Vehicle:
    Just undo one or the other and you'll be all set

11. Mar 2, 2016 at 2:37 PM
    Lawfarin

Lawfarin Who me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Beetle Juice
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2024 GMC Sierra
    You mentioned that a week ago, guess he didn't read it

12. Mar 2, 2016 at 3:01 PM
    DanielTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Iceland
    Vehicle:
    At age 16 I ran the checkout at a grocery store. The day before a snowstorm, the place is FULL of people, literally an hour wait to get to one of the 18 registers. A woman walks in the front door, keep in mind it's so loud you almost have to yell to be heard, she comes up to me through the crowd and asks "ARE YOU OPEN TODAY". I said, "What the FUCK does it look like??". After getting fired for that, I've learned to just be nice when possible. :rofl:

Hobbs, tomwil and tdnick like this.
  13. Mar 6, 2016 at 9:39 PM
    plode682

plode682 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Had my Entune restart twice at about 25 miles into my trip today. Only had Nav and XM running. Android phone connected via bluetooth only.
    Then had the Nav completely lock up at about 675 miles into my trip. Seems to of fixed itself when I stopped and shut the truck off and back on. Not too happy about that- I was sort of relying on it for directions and had to quick change over to Google maps on my phone in the middle of heavy traffic with several turns coming up.

14. Mar 27, 2016 at 12:20 PM
    Apexgigi

Apexgigi IITYWIMWYBMAD

Member:
    First Name:
    Gigi
    Summerville SC
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra 1794Ed, Deceased 2017 TRD Sport
    I guess I get a do-over now Baja Roof Rack, SOS Concepts Bed Bars, Tepui RTT,SOS Concepts Streamline, (mostly)Keeping it washed
    Mine restarted for the first time today at 4308 miles on a 2 mile drive....I think it shut down 3 or 4 times. Craziness....

15. Apr 21, 2016 at 6:48 AM
    The Dude 80

The Dude 80 Well-Known Member

Member:
    OHIO
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCLB Sport 4X4
    Does anyone know if there has been an Entune software update released yet for the 3rd gens? My radio restarted itself 11 times on my 25 minute commute to work this morning. It has never done this before. For the record I have a Samsung S5 and was only connected via Bluetooth and I was listening to XM.

16. Apr 21, 2016 at 8:27 AM
    cschu

cschu Member

Member:
    Boston, Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off Road
    Picked up my 2016 Tacoma TRD Off Road last Friday. While going through the features with the sales guy my head unit restarted 3 times. He shrugged it off and said to keep an eye on it. On my way home (15 minute drive) it restarted another 6 times. I brought it back to the dealer and asked them to update the software, but it was already at the latest rev. They are ordering me a new head unit, so fingers crossed that fixes it. I will update the thread when the new one is installed. Frustrating as hell!

The Dude 80 likes this.
  17. Apr 21, 2016 at 9:37 AM
    eseckinger

eseckinger Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Sport
    Was it raining? Mine did this alot. I took it in and complained. They reset it. When I picked it up it immediately received an update. No issues since

18. Apr 21, 2016 at 9:54 AM
    The Dude 80

The Dude 80 Well-Known Member

Member:
    OHIO
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCLB Sport 4X4
    It was cloudy, but no rain. Looks like I'm going to have to take my truck into the dealer yet again. You would think I bought a GM product or something...:notsure:

eseckinger[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Apr 22, 2016 at 12:31 PM
    ctammann

ctammann Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Wake Forest, NC
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD 4x4 OR DC SB Inferno
    Bumping this topic and adding my input.

Today it was very overcast and about to rain. I was listening to Pandora through my non-jbl entune stereo. Audio would drop out, then the system would restart. This happened several times. I switched it over to an HD radio station and it didn't restart. Then I switched it to bluetooth audio through my phone and it didn't restart. Didn't drive it that long under the last condition though.

Had the truck about a week, listening mostly through Pandora and today was the first time it restarted. When it restarted, each time it would cycle twice before coming back (toyota boot screen, everything, starts to come up, then everything black again and toyota boot screen). I have an Android (Note 4) phone. It will be interesting to see if we can find the actual cause. My assumption is Entune, but is it the app itself? If I listen just to bluetooth audio on my phone, which theoretically should not be running through entune, will it restart on me?

20. Apr 22, 2016 at 12:39 PM
    cschu

cschu Member

Member:
    Boston, Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off Road
    I have had my TRD for exactly 1 week and the head unit has been rebooting constantly. On one trip it restarted 12 times in 45 minutes. I have tried everything and have not found a magic bullet yet. Disabled bluetooth and unpaired phone, turned off HD radio, turned off the cache feature, listened to only radio, listened to XM. It has even restarted with the radio powered off! It also has nothing to do with rain or overcast. It reboots on sunny days and rainy days. Like I posted the other day, I am waiting for my new head unit to come in so Toyota can replace it. Hopefully that fixes the issue. I will update this thread once it's been installed - hopefully early next week or I am going to put my fist through the stupid thing!!!

Products Discussed in

To Top