1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

EoTech Issues and Refund

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by Gurneydog, Dec 19, 2015.

1. Dec 19, 2015 at 8:13 AM
    Gurneydog

Gurneydog [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Taco, Quicksand
    Hello everyone! As you may or may not know, EoTech just settled a lawsuit with the Feds to the tune of ~$25 million, over a drifting problem with their weapon sights. It seems that when exposed to "temperature extremes" the sight would drift up to 20 inches at 100 yards. The FBI conducted a test and found that the drift was prevalent in the climate of Virginia.

Anyway, EoTech seems to be quietly giving refunds on the sight. Full purchase price, plus $15 shipping. I filled out a RMA on their website, and stated the reason being "sight drift due to environmental conditions." My return was approved, and I'm waiting on the check to arrive.

In the meantime, I've switched to an AimPoint PRO. Haven't had a chance to sight it in yet, however.

Just wanted to pass on the info. I'm not sure if they are refunding all their sights, or the ones specifically marked for law enforcement/ military use. I had a 512.

2. Dec 19, 2015 at 5:42 PM
    Ostrichsak

Ostrichsak Don't taze me bro!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '10 Tacoma 4x4 TRD
    TRD Supercharger + too much stuff to list. Click sig pic
    Refund applies to ALL EOTechs & receipt is required. Refund is amount paid on receipt plus the $15 for shipping as stated. Pretty much anyone can get in on this as long as you have your receipt.

I have half a dozen or so Aimpoint T1 Micros in use and they're fantastic. Another option for those on more of a budget is the Trijicon MRO. It's got a wider FOV than the Micro and comes in at around $500 or sometimes closer to $400 if you find a sale. I just got one w/the low mount for about $400 shipped brand new from a sale Optics Planet was doing for the Scorpion Evo 3 SBR project I'm almost done with and it's a fantastic option. It's got me considering if I really need to have that much money tied up in T1's or not and leaning now. At any rate, take a look if you need a new RDS as it's a real solid option for a bit less money. If you don't run NV the Aimpoint H1 is also a great option.

Pic of said SBR Scorpion wearing a MRO w/low mount:

ScorpionSBRTrijicon_f9eafd34e78984869356b97bc08fb4ed6bb443cc.jpg

ArcherTaco likes this.
  3. Dec 19, 2015 at 7:45 PM
    wesplains

wesplains Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    West
    Middle of USA
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport
    SnugTop, Aries Stealth Bull Bar, OEM Bed Mat, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Husky Floor Mats, OEM Cab Rack, Amp Bed Extender, VooDoo Bad Brackets with Cargo Basket. Yakima racks on cover. MagnaFlow Muffler, KC Running Lights, Console Vault, Dash Cam, Side Moldings, UltraGauge
    Well crap got a 552A on order. Wished I would have known prior. It is my understanding that the 552 is the most highly used model by the FBI and military.

4. Dec 19, 2015 at 7:49 PM
    LiveFreeOrDie2015

LiveFreeOrDie2015 Well-Known Member

Member:
    York PA
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB TRD OFFROAD
    3in lift,Fox suspension,chaos UCA,AAL,leer 180 topper,SilverStar zXe headlights & fog lights,BAMF kickout sliders,Mobtown full skids,Pelfreybuilt center hoop, Pelfreybuilt Gas Tank Skid,50" curved LED light bar, Hood scoop LED, Tran cooler and fan,Oil Catch can,LED Strip lights under hood & Bed,
    *uck I should have kept the receipt

5. Dec 19, 2015 at 7:52 PM
    tritip

tritip Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Vehicle:
    2014 dcsb trd offroad
    Anyone know the temperature extremes they're talking about? How hot or cold does it have to be before the sight starts to drift?

6. Dec 19, 2015 at 8:00 PM
    LiveFreeOrDie2015

LiveFreeOrDie2015 Well-Known Member

Member:
    York PA
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB TRD OFFROAD
    3in lift,Fox suspension,chaos UCA,AAL,leer 180 topper,SilverStar zXe headlights & fog lights,BAMF kickout sliders,Mobtown full skids,Pelfreybuilt center hoop, Pelfreybuilt Gas Tank Skid,50" curved LED light bar, Hood scoop LED, Tran cooler and fan,Oil Catch can,LED Strip lights under hood & Bed,
    I don't know but I'm just going to set it up for the S12 even though it's never gave me any problems with holding zero.

7. Dec 19, 2015 at 8:11 PM
    tritip

tritip Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Vehicle:
    2014 dcsb trd offroad
    I have a xps-2 and have never had an issue with it holding zero. But its 60 degrees yr round where i live so it probably wouldn't show i guess? Still don't like the idea of it drifting tho

8. Dec 23, 2015 at 11:10 AM
    sirsaechao

sirsaechao Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota Tacoma SR5 TRD 3.4L 4X4 V6
    A lift, some wheels, some tires, some performance, some cosmetic and then audio.
    I'm sitting here waiting for the market to be flooded with second hand EoTech at a cheap low low price so I can get one myself :)

TomTwo, tritip and ArcherTaco like this.
  9. Dec 27, 2015 at 9:59 AM
    wesplains

Member:
    First Name:
    West
    Middle of USA
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport
    SnugTop, Aries Stealth Bull Bar, OEM Bed Mat, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Husky Floor Mats, OEM Cab Rack, Amp Bed Extender, VooDoo Bad Brackets with Cargo Basket. Yakima racks on cover. MagnaFlow Muffler, KC Running Lights, Console Vault, Dash Cam, Side Moldings, UltraGauge
    As mention above I had a 552A-65 on order. It came in on Xmas Eve (4 weeks early). I found out about the issue three days ago on here. In researching the lawsuit the temps stated are -40 and 120 and above. However, EoTech states on it's current literature that comes with the sights without any specifics that the sights should be re-zeroed if shooting in a different temp range than was originally zeroed in.

One article mention that in 2013 EoTech fixed the issue, but instead of calling it a fix, called it a upgrade. One more attempt of covering up?

Mine was made in October 2015 so I am wondering if I should just keep it. I have filled out the RMA request. I am hoping that EoTech after the holidays will tell me that I do not fall in the time window of needing an upgrade/fix/return.

I got a really good deal on it and would like to keep it. Should EoTech grant me a RMA I am going to send it back for a refund. If nothing else the company has shown to be lacking in whatever you want to call it. Just thought I would share this.

10. Dec 31, 2015 at 5:08 PM
    fritzthecat

fritzthecat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner Auto AccCab Indigo
    Receipt is not required. My Eotech from 2007 was accepted for refund with my receipt long gone. Simply state your purchase price (up to MSRP) in the refund request.

Thanks

Fritz

LiveFreeOrDie2015 likes this.
  11. Jan 3, 2016 at 7:44 PM
    Munson01

Munson01 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cypress, TX
    Vehicle:
    2014 Silver Tacoma 4x4
    None yet
    About 4 months ago I bought a like new EXPS-3-2 for $300. Awesome deal for an awesome sight. I sighted it in when it was 95 deg outside in Houston heat and humidity. I shot it 2 days ago at 100 yards at 4" steel with no problem. It was about 40 deg outside at the time. I'm not sure what temperature require to drift the sight, but I don't think I'm gonna hit those extremes down where I live. I have 2 EoTech's and I've never noticed any shifting in them, but it doesn't get that cold down here. It feels like a 120 out here in the summer, but it doesn't get that high either. I have a couple T-1's also that are pretty solid. I prefer the wider field of view and image (crisper dot and large 65moa circle) on the EoTech's, but you can't beat the battery life and size of the T-1's

12. Jan 4, 2016 at 8:09 AM
    Plik

Plik Ragin Cajun

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB PreRunner TRD Sport
    Click my sig pic for build thread
    I sent in my EXPS-2 and HHS II back to EOtech for refund. I have a Trijicon MRO and Accupower 1x4 on order.

13. Jan 5, 2016 at 3:18 PM
    wesplains

Member:
    First Name:
    West
    Middle of USA
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport
    552-A65
    According to EoTech anything after 2013 does not have the drift (see my post above). At least I think that is what they are saying? Here is their response:

"Hello Larry,
    Your sight would have no cold weather distortion or moisture incursion failure based on the new spec. The rest of the specifications on performance is what is in print on our web site."

Just thought I would pass it on.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016

Products Discussed in

To Top