1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

EPA proposes 15% ethanol

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by ksj, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Apr 8, 2010 at 9:51 PM
    blackwidow2009

blackwidow2009 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Cleveland
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab 4X4 TRD w/ SR5
    2.5" front lift Daystar coilover spacer. 2.5" rear lift add-a-leaf N-Fab wheel to wheel nerf/step bar Polished Stainless Leer cap from my 2000 Tacoma --- It does fit; don't let them lie to you

Ummm, I'm not worried about what it will do to my engine...it's metal. I hope the STUDY looks at what it will do to the RUBBER!!! I had called 'mother Toyota" a couple years ago, when I was debating about switching to the truck to E85. Toyota said not to do it!!! It would cost well over a thousand to do it because they would need to replace EVERY rubber part...(hoses, gaskets, seals, ect.) because the high ethenol eats away at the rubber!!! They also said they have no intention on making a vehicle that will run on E85 because it is actually more polluting then E10 because of the decreased milage.

I have a blog I wrote on myspace about a cool idea...I'll post that here after this one.

2. Apr 8, 2010 at 9:56 PM
    blackwidow2009

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Cleveland
    Vehicle:
    2.5" front lift Daystar coilover spacer. 2.5" rear lift add-a-leaf N-Fab wheel to wheel nerf/step bar Polished Stainless Leer cap from my 2000 Tacoma --- It does fit; don't let them lie to you
    originally posted June 8th, 2008 on my myspace page

I heard that President Bush want to start drilling in Alaska in a protected preserve. This is BULLSHIT!!! I know, I know, we need cheeper oil and gas prices, and I agree! But I have a better solution. Honda is doing a limited production run of their FCX car. It is a Hydrogen/eletric car. It is currently only avalible in southen California because that is the only place that currently have Hydrogen re-fueling stations. They are working on a HOME re-fueling station, however, Honda is developing it so it producess Hydrogen from NATRUAL GAS. That is SOOOO STUPID!!!!
    My idea is make a home re-fueling station that produces it from WATER!!! It's so easy. I did it in science class when I was in 8th grade, back in the middle 80's!!! Think about it....a home fueling station that is SOLAR powered, (free power) you fill with water, (cheep, or even free if you collect rain water!) and then you just refuel at home! Possible and totally FREE !!! Fine, you may have to pay for some water if you do not collect the rain from your roof, but it's still a hell of alot cheeper. You would not be paying the oil companies big money for gas, making them richer at our expence. And you would not be paying rediclus taxes at the pump either!
    There is a "BUT". Neither the oil companies OR the government want this! WHY???? Easy...money. Solar is free, and so is the water, if you collect the rain. The oil companies can't charge you for either, and neither can the government tax you!!!
    So it is up to you! Spread the word about this idea and it's simplisity, to everyone, including Honda and other car manufactures. If there is a market, they will make it. It's enviromentally friendly, and very cheep, if not free. If WE DON'T push for this, we are still going to get raped by the oil companies and government. President Bush wants to drill in Alaska because it's more oil, and maybe if prices drop a few cents per gallon we will be happy and not bitch and keep pay the high prices they set. However, earier this year (2008), the oil companies explained the high prices by saying their refineries were running at top production. More oil will not lower prices, if there is a bottle neck in the refineries!!! Do they think we are stupid and forgot about that?!?!?!? The best way to "beat the high prices" is make a cheeper source of fuel!!! Then all the people with GAS cars will beniffet too, prices will drop as "demand" drops! :)))

3. Apr 8, 2010 at 11:45 PM
    CVR6

CVR6 Active Member

Member:
    ^Exactly! The popular fringe political regurgitation has gotten ridiculous.

4. Apr 9, 2010 at 12:05 AM
    tvbd56

tvbd56 Epic Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Sacramento, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2018 Black DCLB OR 4x4
    because they wont get money from taxes

Btw whats the name of the gas station chain in CA that is straight gasoline? it's usually a big truck stop too

5. Apr 9, 2010 at 4:12 AM
    RCBS

RCBS How long you willing to tolerate this crap??

Member:
    Harden your bark, there are storms on the horizon.
    Vehicle:
    Goodbye 06, Hello 21. TRDORDCSBMT
    Tornado intake, Duralube, Fartcan.
    BOOOOOOOOOOOOO! ethanol FTL

6. Apr 9, 2010 at 7:46 AM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    I was all for it when I first heard about it in the 80s. Sounds cool, you can burn it and water is the exhaust. However, hydrogen isn't as great of an option as it sounds. It's a big technical problem, even with storage. Sure you can make some with solar panels but it won't be nearly enough to run a car. Gaseous hydrogen takes up a lot of volume when stored. For example, a tanker truck can carry enough gasoline for 800 cars, whereas the same tanker can only carry enough hydrogen for 80 cars. It also leaches out very easily. For the same tanker truck, in order to take the hydrogen more than 200 miles, it has to be liquified and refridgerated.

Trust me, if it were easy and cheap, it would be done.

7. Apr 9, 2010 at 7:58 AM
    GSRON

GSRON Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Northern CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR Cement
    Quikfix seat risers and lic plate mount, MESO interior and stage 1 tails, glove box and console dividers, shelf for center console, FACTOR 55 hitch link, TC bed stiffeners, OE bed mat,
  8. Apr 9, 2010 at 3:21 PM
    blackwidow2009

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Cleveland
    Vehicle:

Well, everything has it's own problems. That is not a reason 'not to try' and perfect it. If the containers leach out the hydrogen, make them better...hydrogen is in the air and air compressor tanks seem to hold air fine, so do portable oxygen tanks that medical patients use. Plus I'm not talking about tanking the hydrogen around, I'm talking about making it at home, or even gas staions can make it on site.

Not sure about your figures about tanker trucks caring enough gas for 800 cars. If each car hold 20 gallons multiplied by 800 cars, that would be 16,000 gallons. those tankers hold way more then 16,000 gallons. And I'm sure that the same sized tanker can carry way more then 80 cars worth of hydrogen.

Honda's car, the FCX, can get over 100 miles per "tank" (can't remember the exact milage, but thier site will tell you). That car is not equipted with a 100 gallon tank! So it must obviously get some decent milage; enough that a tanker can fill up a thousand cars, not 80. And even if it was...a 16,000 gallon tanker truck could fill up 160 cars with a 100 gallon tank each.

I'm not trying to start a fight, I'm just stating things as I see them while thinking threw the "problem". I define "problem" as anything that need any amount of thinking or deductive logic applyed to it, in order to understand it or it's validity.

9. Apr 9, 2010 at 3:29 PM
    blackwidow2009

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Cleveland
    Vehicle:

true, it does take more energy to produce it then it yealds, but we would not have to "make the energy" to produce hydrogen. I'm talking about solar, which is already there being produce for us wether we use it or not. Not to mention it's free!

Question...how many people know that the U.S. White House used to be solar powered??? It was! In the 1970's President Carter had the White house fitted with solar panals to help off set the energy consumption. President Reagon had them removed.

Just think how much farth along we would be today with that technology if we persuded it more!!!

10. Apr 10, 2010 at 7:34 AM
    Evil Monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    http://www.skeptic.com/eskeptic/08-03-12/#feature

And tankers typically carry 6000-9000 gallons.

11. Apr 10, 2010 at 7:38 AM
    Evil Monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    Again though, the problem is one of volume. No one is saying it can't be generated with solar power. The problem is the amount you're generating is miniscule compared to what you need. It would be more efficient to take the solar power and stick it directly in a battery. You have a huge loss in efficiency when you use electrical energy to make hydrogen and then use the hydrogen to create electricity to power your car (which is basically what fuel cell cars are doing). Solar panels just don't generate a large amount of power yet. If they did, we could just coat a car with solar panels and use the power directly.

For the solar panels on the White House, President Bush had new ones placed on the White House in 2003.

12. Apr 10, 2010 at 8:52 AM
    blackwidow2009

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Cleveland
    Vehicle:

I need to read that link, I need a little more time then I have right now..lol

Also, I thought about the # of gallons a tanker holds, and I admit my numbers were wrong. !6,000 gallons of fuel at ruffly 7 pound a gallon would be over the 80,000 pound weight limit of the truck, and the weight of the truck itself has not been added yet.

I do still think that hydrogen/electric is deffinatly something to resurch and try new designs. I has the potental to be very cheep, even free for some if the collect rain water, which you would be amased at how much one can actually collect from your gutters.

If we as a country, or even the world, did not try to invent things, then we would never be were we are at, we would not even have the gas engine today.

I hate the oil companies, I HATE ethenol, it does not have the same energy per volume as gas and therefor that is why we have less milage per gallon.

Not to mention it really is not that much cheeper. A Sunoco station in my city sell E85. Right now today (4.10.10) 87 octain is about 2.85 a gallon; the E85 is only about .15 cheeper. When we had 4.00/gallon prices the E85 was about .50 cheeper.

Not to mention this is not about farmers, this is about the corn industry that is controled by large corperations. They are the ones how will profit from this and that is why the are pushing this. Let's for once make a stand and take back the power and stop them from ripping us off!!!

Products Discussed in

To Top