1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Errrr, my Duratracs are rubbing....

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by DueNorth, Feb 26, 2010.

1. Feb 26, 2010 at 2:39 PM
    DueNorth

DueNorth [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 BSP TRD Sport DCSB 6sp
    Well i just got my 17X8" ProComps ( with 4.5" backspacing) and 265/70/17 Duratracs mounted on my truck (pics real soon) and i've noticed that they're rubbing my mudflaps up front when turning the wheel. Its quite annoying to say the least. Now of course there's a pretty obvious solution and i should just take them off, but i do enjoy the protection the offer.

Is there anything else i could consider aside from that?
    Anybody else have this issue?
    And lastly, ya think i should just suffer the consequences and take them completely off??

2. Feb 26, 2010 at 2:59 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    With that backspacing you should have had a lift. If you lift it, you should be fine, but because you don't it rubs.

3. Feb 26, 2010 at 3:10 PM
    RCBS

RCBS How long you willing to tolerate this crap??

Member:
    Harden your bark, there are storms on the horizon.
    Vehicle:
    Goodbye 06, Hello 21. TRDORDCSBMT
    Tornado intake, Duralube, Fartcan.
    there is a low-tech mod that may help. how bad are they rubbing? if it's just a little, you can use a heat gun to re-shape the flaps to give a scoshe more clearance. it's a bit tricky...you gotta get them hot enough to be pliable, but not actually melt. if you are worried about rock chips, tar, etc. i would leave them on. the rockers take a beating with the flaps off. other than the heat gun flap mod, your only other courses of action are to take them off, or get a mild lift.

4. Feb 26, 2010 at 3:14 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    I also had to take my front flaps off after my lift and new wheels/tires. I havent had any rock damage that I have noticed, knock on wood, but it does tend to get much dirtier from rain/mud/snow without them on there.:eek: It doesnt bother me to much because I wash my truck when it gets to bad. Plus a little dirt wont hurt.:D

5. Feb 26, 2010 at 3:27 PM
    DueNorth

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    It is rubbing pretty bad, to the point of worrying about possible damage to the tires....

So with that said i just took them off 5 mins ago and of course i broke 1 of the plastic plugs.... (probably over $5 from Toyota's parts department;)). Looks much better now, but those holes left behind were gonna bother me, so i put the screws and plugs back in.

Now time to go wheelin again! A good 5 inches of snow on the ground now, so time have fun. :D

6. Feb 26, 2010 at 3:28 PM
    DueNorth

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Great idea!!! I may just have to try that. Maybe some 3M clearbra tape might help for the rockers?

I usually keep the truck fairly clean to but being dirty does help against scratches from brush, etc. IMO.

7. Feb 26, 2010 at 3:33 PM
    RCBS

RCBS How long you willing to tolerate this crap??

Member:
    Harden your bark, there are storms on the horizon.
    Vehicle:
    Goodbye 06, Hello 21. TRDORDCSBMT
    Tornado intake, Duralube, Fartcan.
    consider yourself lucky. my OEM tube steps actually have visible damage from rocks on the rearward attachment brackets. i only had the tubes on for a year and a half and the flaps were never off. i somehow also manage to accumulate chips in the area forward of the rear wheel well.

Products Discussed in

To Top