1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ethanol free gas for 2 weeks

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by AWorthyOpponent, May 2, 2012.

1. May 12, 2012 at 9:36 PM
    worthywads

worthywads Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Boulder
    Vehicle:
    05 5-lug access I4 Stick, 70 Challenger Vert
    I can't imagine pyramid scheme sales people would lie about their results?

There is nothing new to this additive, just a new pyramid.

http://www.fuelsaving.info/fuel_additives.htm

http://www.fuelsaving.info/unburnt_fuel.htm

http://www.fuelsaving.info/testimonial.htm

2. May 13, 2012 at 5:33 AM
    CantSitStill

CantSitStill Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    FTR
    CNY
    I second this! My wife's Prius V has a little bar gauge that shows how hard you're working the engine, and also shows either instant or average MPG. When I drive her car, I drive it to beat any mileage she has gotten. We did a trip a month back where I averaged 61 mpg.
    Regardless, this is the point I wanted to make. If every vehicle on the road had those gauges, I am pretty certain you would see a lot of people getting better fuel economy out of any car due to the fact that your MPG are right in front of you all the time. Some people wouldn't give a shit, but I think the majority would make some sort of adjustment to their driving.

3. May 13, 2012 at 1:11 PM
    ae111black

ae111black Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kimo
    Hilo Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2013 Trd Sport
    plenty
    You know guy's I'm not tying to sell this "snake oil" I posted about in this thread, I simply chimed in because it could be a viable additive to people getting poor milage due to E blend fuels. I did real world research with friends that use the stuff on a regular basis of their various vehicles and all of them are exactly like you they pay close attention to their milage on their vehicles. I wouldn't use the stuff if they didn't have results. And these friends do not sell the product either..... like I said I'll post my results after the 3rd or 4th tanks. Bad or Good.

4. May 13, 2012 at 3:56 PM
    Bobbb

Bobbb "Rumors of Bob, but never Bob. It is Bob, right?"

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    Bob
    Tundra TRD/OR
    Thanks for this link! I already knew there was no one close to me that sold it, but it is nice to see there are a couple stations within 40 miles or so in places I do get to now and then. Knowing this means I can certainly stop there when I am in the area.

5. May 14, 2012 at 8:36 AM
    AWorthyOpponent

AWorthyOpponent [OP] Member Caught Off Road

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Palm Beach County, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCLB TRD SPORT 4x4
    TRD Catback Exhaust
    I checked out the gas station at Skees Road. You have to go from 9am-4pm to pump there. They have E0 90 octane for a lot cheaper than that other station I went to. Just filled up last night, but ill be checking it out next time I fill up since I drive by there on my way to work every day. I called them today and if you are looking to go there, watch out for the cash and credit pricing. its like $0.20 difference per gallon. Worth the trip to the ATM...lol

6. Jul 1, 2012 at 6:33 AM
    PMK

PMK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    White, debadged, Mudflaps removed, ICON 2.5 in front, 2.0 in rear, all 4 corners have reservoirs, Spidertrax wheel spacers all around, BAMF bolt on sliders, Avid lightbar, oem transmission cooler converted to power steering cooler, aftermarket transmission cooler eliminating all oem transmission cooler stuff, remote mounted spin on transmission fluid filter TrueTrac rear differential, rear diff housing vented and filtered into left side bed box, URD MAF calibrator, Volant intake scoop into oem airbox, second filter removed, airbox internals smoothed, blended and polished throttle body, NST intake manifold spacer, Wet Okolee set covers, WeatherTech Digital Fit mats, inexpensive JVC single DIN, Scangage, AVS Stepshield door sill protectors, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, URD Y pipe with O2 sims.
    I have now done two tankfuls of the 90 octane non ethanol fuel.

The last fill up I went back to Chevron 93.

Watching the scangage instantaneous MPG numbers are worse. This is the same route many times to work and back.

Awesome it works for you, but for me the Chevron has better acceleration (which almost does not make sense except for the higher octane helping the computer), is easier to obtain and less expensive.

I gave it two tankfuls to try. First tank fillup was slightly mixed with about 3 gallons of Chevron 93 residual in the tank. Tank two was for all intents 100% non ethanol. For the sake or argument, we'll say it's a 1/2 MPG better.

First ethanol tank = 17.68
    Second Ethanol Tank = 18.16

Chevron, previous 5 tankfuls, 17.9, 17.4, 17.75, 17.5, 17.2. Suspecting the warmer months and higher humidity are not helping.

For grins I checked from a year ago, similar in the 17's type MPG.

This is typical WPB driving, lot of 50 mph roads connecting east and west, with stoplights and traffic, so we'll say it's mixed driving.

PK

7. Jul 1, 2012 at 8:23 AM
    Blygy

Blygy Well-Known Member

Member:
    East of Edson
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged 2012 DCLB TRD Sport Trail Teams
    Trail Teams Edition Supercharger
    So I am new to this forum and new to the gas world especially a supercharged gas pot.. I recently traded my 06 MegaCab for a 12 DC TRD Trail Teams Tacoma.

I am a heavy duty mechanic and have had 2 Dodge diesel trucks.

Now my question is how does E10 affect a supercharged engine. Does the effective octane rating help?? Or does the lower BTU numbers hinder??

E10 94 octane is plentiful here.. Pure gas is getting harder and harder to find.

Thanks in advance

8. Jul 1, 2012 at 10:27 AM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    Nevermind...

9. Jul 1, 2012 at 10:36 AM
    coffeesnob

coffeesnob Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd
    A few people at the local hardware stores swear that ethanol in gas destroys the internals of the small engines. If that is so I would think it doesn't do vehicle engines any good either. I would love to find a ethanol free staion around me but there isn't one. I would like to know who the genius is that came up with this idea to begin with.

10. Jul 1, 2012 at 10:50 AM
    extremachn1

extremachn1 I am an asshole, deal with it!

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BAD ASS SUPERCHARGED BEAST
    TRD S/C, TRD quick shifter, AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Fox racing shocks, TC UCA, All-pro expo leafs, Bestop soft top, Wet Okole black seat covers, Scan gauge II.
    I am supercharged with a smaller pulley (approx 7 lbs boost), if I wanted to tune for E-85 I could run a lot of boost and get awesome power numbers, but alas I don't want to do either. I routinely run Enthinol free gas in my truck and it does make a significant difference in my power, not really much with milage though.
    I try to fill with E-0 when its available and when its not crazy expensive.

11. Jul 1, 2012 at 10:53 AM
    extremachn1

extremachn1 I am an asshole, deal with it!

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BAD ASS SUPERCHARGED BEAST
    TRD S/C, TRD quick shifter, AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Fox racing shocks, TC UCA, All-pro expo leafs, Bestop soft top, Wet Okole black seat covers, Scan gauge II.
    Ethanol is horrible on motorcycles, boats, etc. Anything with a plastic/fiberglass style tank the ethanol causes the tank to warp and burst. It also is harder on gaskets, filters, etc that are not designed to work with Ethanol.

Currently they use E10 but there has been some pressure in the last year or two to push that to E-20. The problem is that it will kill all but the newest vehicles designed to run on that.

12. Jul 1, 2012 at 6:33 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    Another big issue is if you have been running with no ethanol for a while then switch to ethanol fuel the ethanol will breakdown the natural varnish that gasoline causes which will end up in the filters, injectors etc... This was a very large issue when they first started putting ethanol in gas years ago. ( way back when gas was 40 cents a gallon ).

13. Jul 1, 2012 at 6:46 PM
    AFZ

AFZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    IN
    Vehicle:
    4x4 AC 4.0 TRD OR
    Anyone know where I can get Leaded-Gas still?

Stupid Government mandating lead-free...:rolleyes:

If Ethanol bothers you so much then just go balls deep. Covert to E85, actually tune your car and you make more power (advanced timing, leaned out AFR) and be getting close to the same mileage - Oh BTW - E85 is almost a $1 cheaper per gallon sometimes (60 - 100 cents as it doesn't flux in sync).

Flex cars do poorly because they a FLEX, its like an old multi-fuel engine, sure it will run, but they are programed to RUN, not to maximise the potential of the fuel. They also have to account for mix-ed tanks ect.

14. Jul 1, 2012 at 6:51 PM
    AFZ

AFZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    IN
    Vehicle:
    4x4 AC 4.0 TRD OR
    Not to mention radiators and transfercases!!

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/05/16/ethanol-concerns-bring-customers-to-more-costly-pure-gas-stations/?&intcmp=eim

15. Jul 1, 2012 at 6:55 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    radiators and transfer cases.

LOL :)

16. Jul 1, 2012 at 7:18 PM
    LN13

LN13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    05 Taco
    No doubt....Reading the article...

She started using "pure gas" five weeks ago, after paying $12,000 for repairs on her 2005 Nissan Pathfinder.
    "I had to change two radiators and two transmissions," said Cannon, who blames the damage on ethanol.

Is she towing a 12k lb trailer camping, which is uphill both ways in 110 degree temps??

17. Jul 1, 2012 at 7:39 PM
    Syncros

Syncros Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mine runs fine on the lowest grade (87 Octane), its quieter and more responsive with 91+ Octane, and slightly more efficient. Fuel with ethanol in it gives me worse fuel economy by a pretty large margin, I never fill up with ethanol.

18. Jul 1, 2012 at 9:54 PM
    TacoAlaMode

TacoAlaMode Mr. Midlife Crisis

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    10 DC LB MG 4X4 TRD Sport
    Icon Ext Coilover, Alcan Rear springs, Demello 3-Hoop Bumper and RockCrusher Sliders, Full tint 360', WeatherTech Floor liners and rainguards, Debadged, In Cabin 110 with 400w anytime, Diff breather mod
    A lot of folks are pushing back on adding Ethanol to gas. Raises the cost of corn for eating and feed for animals. Also the big debate on how much energy it takes to produce, refine and transport that tend to push people to say it adds as much polution as it removes for the environment.

I have 2 stations withing 3 miles of my house that sell it and I am thinking about switching to it primarily. It cost about about 15 cent more per gallon.

JSU likes this.
  19. Jul 2, 2012 at 7:02 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Wrong.

Leaned out AFR will blow it up.
    Straight ethanol is stoich at around 9.5:1, straight gasoline at 14.7:1

Same engine (compression ratio) run on gasoline getting 29mpg, then converted to E100 with the same compression ratio, no turbo or SC, it will produce about 25% less power and get only about 19mpg.
    If that engine made 200hp on gasoline, it will only make 150hp on E100.

Simple physics, ethanol has less than 75% the BTU content of gasoline.

To take advantage of ethanol, you need to increase cylinder pressures.
    It requires more fuel to run, and it burns cooler, so you can run much higher cylinder pressures without overheating the cylinder.
    The raw octane rating is 118, so you can also run higher cylinder temperatures without getting into detonation/preignition.

This allows you to pump in more air and fuel to make more power than gasoline, and is why alcohol is a prevalent fuel in racing... but at the cost of using a LOT more fuel.

JSU likes this.
  20. Jul 2, 2012 at 7:04 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Bingo.

The only reason ethanol is cheaper than gasoline is because of government money being given to the producers.

Ethanol made from corn is not economically sustainable in a free market.

Products Discussed in

To Top