1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ethanol free gas for 2 weeks

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by AWorthyOpponent, May 2, 2012.

1. Jul 3, 2012 at 6:02 AM
    paidfor

paidfor Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD OR 4x4
    Hidden GPS tracking system. Backflip cover, weather techs, bed mat, tailgate lock, OME 885 springs, blistein shocks, 2.5 in AAL/
    To my knowlege there is no such fuel here in Texas. We all suffer the E. problem with out boats, chain saws, weed eaters, lawn mowers, etc. I hate the corn fuel and what it does to our engines. If someone out there knows of a station with the corn let me know.

2. Jul 3, 2012 at 9:36 AM
    AFZ

AFZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    IN
    Vehicle:
    4x4 AC 4.0 TRD OR
    Yes but the entire agricultural industry is subsidized... Just like our education and highway systems.

Why should fuel be any different? At least the money going into ethanol is going toward American refineries and farmers instead of foreign companies (BP, Citgo, Petrobras ect ) and foreign countries.

Dey Took Ar Jobz!!

3. Jul 3, 2012 at 9:53 AM
    DR Da_da

DR Da_da Infrequent Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 V6 TRD Offroad auto access cab
    ToyTec ultimate lift, LR UCAs, TRD gen 1 CAI, TRD cat-back, bull bar, anytime fog lights, lighted 4x4 switch, factory SS step tubes, factory interior lighting package, factory VIP 3200 alarm, FJ TRD center caps, rear diff breather relocate, tint, bug deflector, Weather Tech liners
    I downloaded a free app. on my phone called "ethanol free" that searches for E0 gas stations near your location. It helped me find all of the E0 stations around where I live, and it's also helpful when traveling.

4. Jul 3, 2012 at 11:58 AM
    TacoAlaMode

TacoAlaMode Mr. Midlife Crisis

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    10 DC LB MG 4X4 TRD Sport
    Icon Ext Coilover, Alcan Rear springs, Demello 3-Hoop Bumper and RockCrusher Sliders, Full tint 360', WeatherTech Floor liners and rainguards, Debadged, In Cabin 110 with 400w anytime, Diff breather mod
    And that subsidy costs me more everytime I like to have my favorite meal. 2 of the 3 costs more due to ethanol (Steak, baked potato and corn on the cob).

Truth of the matter is all vegetable prices are affected by the subsidy of corn (in areas where corn is grown). Which would you rather produce, corn at an inflated price due to governmental demands or any other vegetable at regular price. Lower supply = higher cost.

South Park rules! Another relevant episode would be smug alert.

5. Jul 3, 2012 at 2:18 PM
    AFZ

AFZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    IN
    Vehicle:
    4x4 AC 4.0 TRD OR
    Duh, and that is what keeps the agriculture industry going. We spend millions having farmers cut back do produce stays profitable.

The real reason your seeing marginablly higher prices is because of rising fuel costs (which E-XX helps combat) and rising inflation.

Also cows do not eat corn. Some farmers will force feed them before market because it's cheap and fattens them up. This practice should not be supported as it produces sickly, unhealthy live stock.

Also, raise food costs, country needs to be on a diet, it's the primary factor in rising healthcare.

6. Jul 3, 2012 at 6:52 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Agreed, but sadly, it doesn't work that way.

The poor eat shitty food.
    Making food more expensive simply ensures that they will eat more sweets and fatty fried foods and even less fruits and vegetables.

7. Jul 3, 2012 at 8:23 PM
    AFZ

AFZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    IN
    Vehicle:
    4x4 AC 4.0 TRD OR
    That's why there is so much talk of fat taxes and soda bands.

If your poor why are you buying auger-smacks, McDonald's and cases of Coke?

Get some bread, water and cook up a pot roast....much more cost effective..

8. Jul 3, 2012 at 8:38 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    The poor are poor because their parents did not teach them how to properly manage time and money.
    They are creatures of convenience... they want what they want when they want it.

Communistic taxes levied in an attempt to control society will not change that... they will just make the public hate their government even more.

9. Jul 8, 2012 at 4:15 PM
    soxsdaddy

soxsdaddy Active Member

Member:
    Raleigh NC
    Vehicle:
    12 PreRunner
    Bought my first tank of ethonol free gas today, found a gas station right by my house

10. Jul 9, 2012 at 3:08 PM
    coffeesnob

coffeesnob Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd

what station is that?

11. Jul 9, 2012 at 4:59 PM
    soxsdaddy

soxsdaddy Active Member

Member:
    Raleigh NC
    Vehicle:
    12 PreRunner
    its a BP off of 55 in cary nc

12. Mar 12, 2016 at 8:55 PM
    JDR1011

JDR1011 NINJA HELICOPTER MECHANIC

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    mobile, al
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM DCSB PRERUNNER SR5
    Plastidip grille, fog light anytime mod, Yakima roof racks & fairing, N-fab step bars, Husky floor liners, 16" black stock steel wheels, Softopper.
    Will something like a scan gauge II give you a more accurate mpg reading if you are running oversized tires? I'm starting to get really poor gas mileage in a 4cyl prerunner, 2012. I went from the stock 245/70/16 to 265/75/16 bfg at ko2 about a year ago, but saw no fuel economy degradation until 2-3 months ago. Went to the dealer thinking there was an issue with the truck, but running into dead ends with toyota. They say they aren't finding any issues.

13. Mar 13, 2016 at 5:07 PM
    edm3rd

edm3rd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Duke
    Memphis TN
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner AC 6sp
    hard tonneau,scangauge
    Have had a ScanGauge II for over 6 years. There is a procedure to adjust it (basically to get odometer correct) to account for new/change in tire size, and another adjustment at fuel up to adjust fuel. Have found it to be extremely accurate.

That said, you have a problem - couple of questions:

Buy gas at the same station? Could be they got a bad load of fuel.
    Due for filter/spark plug change?
    Drastic change in your driving habits (more idling, driving more city %)?

14. Mar 13, 2016 at 5:27 PM
    JDR1011

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    mobile, al
    Vehicle:
    Plastidip grille, fog light anytime mod, Yakima roof racks & fairing, N-fab step bars, Husky floor liners, 16" black stock steel wheels, Softopper.
    I work out of state, and most of my gas is travel back and forth. I fill up at the same gas station when I leave town, chevron-87 octane, and was filling up at a conoco-87 octane when I would come back home. I did switch to a convenience store, for my gas home, about 3-4 months ago for the really cheap gas. My situation may have actually started shortly after that. I keep up with all my filter changes, but have never changed the spark plugs, so they are about 4-5 years old now. Only difference in driving habits is having to give my 4cyl more gas to push the bigger tires and steel wheels down the road, but they have been on the truck well before any issues.

15. Mar 13, 2016 at 9:17 PM
    edm3rd

edm3rd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Duke
    Memphis TN
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner AC 6sp
    hard tonneau,scangauge
    Don't think a SG II will help you too much, except for convenience. Get a notebook, record every fillup = write down odometer or your trip odometer, and gallons, calculate miles per gallon. Don't worry about tire size change, what you're interested in finding out is mpg over several fillups. Try to use same stations if you can. If your driving stays fairly consistent (highway/city, time stopped in traffic, etc) you'll get an idea of what your mpg should be. The only other thing I can think of is summer/winter gas. From what you said, looks like it was close to the same time stations switched over to winter blend, so that might be part of it.

16. Mar 13, 2016 at 9:20 PM
    Bennett707

Bennett707 Station707

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    No more taco life for me
    holy 4 year thread revival

JSU, Boone and Lawfarin like this.
  17. Mar 13, 2016 at 9:35 PM
    JDR1011

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    mobile, al
    Vehicle:
    Ive been tracking it that way, and in the past 3-4 months i have dropped from 19mpg to 12.5mpg. Toyota is trying to lay blame on the tires and heavier wheels, but they were on there before this all started. im now looking into new spark plugs, tire pressure(not really sure where i should be keeping the bigger tires, but firestone put 50psi in them upon install), and non-ethanol gas, or 93. All monitoring has been highway, same distance, same driving habits, same gas stations, just to keep all the variables the same. i just want to make sure my highway consumption is somewhat good, since i drive with a heavy foot in town, and 12.5mpg is just terrible for a 4cyl. thanks for all the help, btw.

18. Mar 14, 2016 at 6:23 AM
    edm3rd

edm3rd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Duke
    Memphis TN
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner AC 6sp
    hard tonneau,scangauge
    Are your new tires LT's or P's ? What brand ?
    LT's can easily be 10# or more heavier - take more fuel, especially city driving, ie every time you get up to speed from a full stop.
    245/75 to 265 gives you an inch greater diameter, about 3% difference rotations per mile.
    Next step - calculate odometer error, either by GPS or run 25-50 miles by mile marker.
    Dropping from 19 to 12.5 is a 33% loss in mpg.
    Looks like the combination of bigger, heavier tires and winter gas

19. Mar 14, 2016 at 6:28 AM
    JDR1011

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    mobile, al
    Vehicle:
    Bfg all-terrain ko2, aggressive tread and beefed - up sidewall.

20. Mar 14, 2016 at 6:39 AM
    trd1221

trd1221 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Vehicle:
    2015 White Tacoma TRD Sport
    Bed cover, tailgate lock
    I know you live near me, where is this station, is it the expensive sunoco by Ibis.

Products Discussed in

To Top