1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

exhaust cam gears with 3° retard for V6 1GR

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tacoma Parts Marketplace (2005-2015)' started by mightytacoman, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Jul 7, 2019 at 5:26 PM
    mightytacoman

mightytacoman [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    kelby
    Moving every 3 months
    Vehicle:
    upgraded
    supercharger, hp tuner tuned, 650cc flow matched fuel injectors, Walbro 255 fuel pump. pulleyboys quick change pulley with 2.6", fpr mod, 170° thermostat. Puma On-board air, Radflo CDC ext coilovers with 14" 700# springs, extended length rear Radflo shocks with CDC, Dakar leak pack, Brute Force Fab front bumper galvanized and powder coated, DTRL mod, yellow fogs, fog anytime mod, relocated rear differential breather, synthetic fluid swap, Afe Stage II with pro-dry filter, secondary air filter removed, Airflow snorkel, 4x innovation sliders powder coated, Magnaflow headers, DT y-pipe, Aero-Turbine 2525xl exhaust dumped over axle, seat belt chime disabled, Warn 8000i winch, 2- 20" light bars, 42" curved roof light both with custom brackets. Mesh grill, Brute Force Fab rear bumper with extra reverse lights, u bolt flip kit, SS extended brake lines, hockey puck bump stop extension, AT shackle flip kit, Light Racing UCA's, 4crawler 1.5" bodylift. custom built front and mid skid plates, re-geared to 4.56s, windows tinted 25%, Sony stereo, 8" skar sub-woofer, 1000 watt mono amp, retrofit headlights with legal demon eye, Kryptek Marathon seat covers. Optima yellow top, Helo 791 rims, 315/75/r16 Mt/r ARB front air locker
    Hey guys, I have been selling cam gears with a 2nd keyway cut into them. The 2nd keyway has a 3° retarded keyway cut in it. These work with the 1GRFE (V6) engine. Tuning to maximize the gains associated with this mod is recommended but not necessary. (just like an intake or exhaust)

Current price is $100 for the machining of both gears and includes the return shipping nation wide. This is if you are providing me with the gears.

For $150 I will provide gears for you. Less work for you and faster turn around as I plan to have a couple in stock. The extra 50 is the cost of OEM gears with little to no mark up.

If you are active military or a veteran- 10$ off.

PM me directly when you're ready to place an order.

OEM part # 13523-AD010
    Cloyes part # S960T
    Napa part # NTP S960T
    They don't come in sets so make sure to purchase two if going this route

For those wonder what exactly these do.
    "The exhaust cam gears retard the exhaust gear timing by 3° in relation to crank angle. Allowing the cylinders to empty more completely on the exhaust stroke. On the intake stroke the cylinders will fill with more air and fuel increasing the overall volumetric efficiency of the engine. There will also be less hot exhaust gas left heating the incoming air and fuel and reducing it's knock potential. This is very advantageous with forced induction conversions." -URD

Myself and many others are now running these gears with great success. It increased my mileage and has notably more power in the mid rpm range. Plus the engine just runs happier.

Here is an install video.
    https://youtu.be/YmwXtpukhFU

Here is a link for valve cover removal instructions.
    http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showthread.php?p=186857

here is the pdf install instructions from URD
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/attachments/urd-1gr-cam-gear-installation-v-1-1-draft-pdf.3283622/

Instead of taking the time to put a timing mark in relation to the new keyway that is 3° off, what I do is only bevel the new keyway on the back side so that it is clear which keyway is the one I made and to show which way should be facing front. When installing the gear, if you can only see one bevel, then it is facing the correct way. (see below) 3° keyway at bottom
    front.jpg
    "F" for front. Gears sent out wont have this "F" so bevel observation will be required. I recommend drawing with a marker or whiteout etc. a line to the tooth that is most closely aligns to. This will aid with install.

back.jpg
    This is the back of the gear. The side that will face the engine. Here you can see the bevel I did which also aids with install as I'm keeping tolerances as tight as possible.

stock gear.jpg
    Here is the stock gear with the keyway facing up (yellow arrows). If you look closely at the chain itself, you can see a link on the backside that is painted orange from the factory (under blue arrow). The orange chain link is from the factory and wont align perfectly with the keyway with every turn of the crank so you might have to turn the engine over by hand a few times to get this orientation. Once in this orientation, the chain is already marked for you for which link the newly marked keyway/tooth will go into.

my gear.jpg
    Here is the re-machined gear installed. 2nd bevel not visible so its in correct orientation. You can see that the new keyway and its closet aligned tooth is right back in on the orange link (marked in red here) After you get this done on both engine banks- you're done and can start re-assembly.

different pdf link for urd install instructions ↓↓↓↓

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
  2. Jul 7, 2019 at 6:56 PM
    GT7

GT7 One piece at a time

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB
    Bump. +1 rep

3. Jul 7, 2019 at 6:58 PM
    TheFang

TheFang No Big Deal

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport
    TRD Exhaust, URD Short Shift, TRD Supercharger, Hellwig rear sway bar, TWM shift knob, limo tint, URD Y-pipe, URD LT Headers, URD Rear O2 Sim, Custom tube front and rear bumpers, LED spot pods, K&N CAI
    +1
    Solid work, fast turn around.

4. Jul 7, 2019 at 7:25 PM
    DiamondW

DiamondW Stockblocker

Member:
    First Name:
    Kent
    Gonzales Co. TX
    Vehicle:
    08 White DCSB TRD OR
    Loving mine, crazy fast work too.

5. Jul 7, 2019 at 7:31 PM
    PapaBear

PapaBear Save Time... See It My Way.

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Sin City
    Vehicle:
    07 DCSB PR 4.0
    Here For A Reason
    +1 can't wait to receive mine. Be mindful when ordering your own gears, it will take time. It seems we've exhausted some sources of gears from different vendors already with just our small run of 30 orders.

mightytacoman [OP] likes this.
  6. Jul 8, 2019 at 6:25 AM
    dark vader trd pro

dark vader trd pro Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma Trd Pro
  7. Jul 8, 2019 at 7:27 AM
    DesertRatliff

DesertRatliff Well-Known Member

Member:
    Durango, CO
    Vehicle:
    Mas Tacos Por Favor
    Awesome product, excellent customer service, fast turnaround! Thanks Kelby!

8. Jul 8, 2019 at 1:37 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
  9. Jul 8, 2019 at 4:59 PM
    White lightning boosted

White lightning boosted Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Lynnwood wa.
    Vehicle:
    15' DCSB OR S/C
    Lift, pedal commander, led foglights, led interior lights, led back ups, led under lighting, urd tcai, led headlights, methanol injection, 76mm tb, hood struts, dif breather mod, ratiotek trans kit, x-series gauges, true cool trans cooler, belt wrap mod, 2.8 pulley
  10. Jul 11, 2019 at 1:36 PM
    BassAckwards

BassAckwards formerly rjbiii

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner 2.7L
    Awesome job, GLWS Kelby :cheers:

11. Jul 13, 2019 at 7:12 PM
    mightytacoman

Member:
    First Name:
    kelby
    Moving every 3 months
    Vehicle:
    upgraded
    supercharger, hp tuner tuned, 650cc flow matched fuel injectors, Walbro 255 fuel pump. pulleyboys quick change pulley with 2.6", fpr mod, 170° thermostat. Puma On-board air, Radflo CDC ext coilovers with 14" 700# springs, extended length rear Radflo shocks with CDC, Dakar leak pack, Brute Force Fab front bumper galvanized and powder coated, DTRL mod, yellow fogs, fog anytime mod, relocated rear differential breather, synthetic fluid swap, Afe Stage II with pro-dry filter, secondary air filter removed, Airflow snorkel, 4x innovation sliders powder coated, Magnaflow headers, DT y-pipe, Aero-Turbine 2525xl exhaust dumped over axle, seat belt chime disabled, Warn 8000i winch, 2- 20" light bars, 42" curved roof light both with custom brackets. Mesh grill, Brute Force Fab rear bumper with extra reverse lights, u bolt flip kit, SS extended brake lines, hockey puck bump stop extension, AT shackle flip kit, Light Racing UCA's, 4crawler 1.5" bodylift. custom built front and mid skid plates, re-geared to 4.56s, windows tinted 25%, Sony stereo, 8" skar sub-woofer, 1000 watt mono amp, retrofit headlights with legal demon eye, Kryptek Marathon seat covers. Optima yellow top, Helo 791 rims, 315/75/r16 Mt/r ARB front air locker
    9 sets of gears out the door :thumbsup:. who's in for the next batch? PM's with tracking numbers coming to those 9.p10.jpg

12. Jul 15, 2019 at 4:20 PM
    mightytacoman

Member:
    First Name:
    kelby
    Moving every 3 months
    Vehicle:
    upgraded
    Next batch is in. Machining these Wednesday night and shipping Thursday.20190715_181359.jpg

13. Jul 15, 2019 at 6:40 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Daaaaaaaaaayum! Going to help a friend install his set.

14. Jul 15, 2019 at 6:41 PM
    White lightning boosted

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Lynnwood wa.
    Vehicle:
    15' DCSB OR S/C
    Lift, pedal commander, led foglights, led interior lights, led back ups, led under lighting, urd tcai, led headlights, methanol injection, 76mm tb, hood struts, dif breather mod, ratiotek trans kit, x-series gauges, true cool trans cooler, belt wrap mod, 2.8 pulley
    Can I be said friend.:thumbsup:

15. Jul 15, 2019 at 6:42 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Teleport you and your truck. ;)

16. Jul 15, 2019 at 6:43 PM
    White lightning boosted

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Lynnwood wa.
    Vehicle:
    15' DCSB OR S/C
    I need a Camry with a good tow package.

BassAckwards and Torspd like this.
  17. Jul 15, 2019 at 6:49 PM
    Wild Heart

Wild Heart Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daryn
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB BRM
    Just received mine today. Awesome product and service. Thank you sir!

18. Jul 17, 2019 at 1:10 AM
    93yotasr5

93yotasr5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sacramento
    Any dyno testing to see what kind of numbers these things will add? Seems like a cool product.

19. Jul 17, 2019 at 3:51 AM
    mightytacoman

Member:
    First Name:
    kelby
    Moving every 3 months
    Vehicle:
    upgraded
    A cam gear only before and after dyno test has never been performed to my knowledge. @Torspd have you seen or heard if its been done? Urd has them in the kits they sell and they have full bolt (including these) dynos vs before numbers. Only numbers I can speak to are improved gas mileage, improved "butt dyno" and better driveability.

Don5352 and Torspd like this.
  20. Jul 17, 2019 at 5:14 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    You also have a datalog of better knock threshold. Which allows more timing. Which makes more HP.

There are no dyno's yet, with just a cam gear install. Only your datalogs.

Products Discussed in

To Top