1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Exhaust heat shield flew off

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Ridethisbike, Jul 21, 2021.

1. Jul 21, 2021 at 2:57 PM
    Ridethisbike

Ridethisbike [OP] Member

Member:
    So I'm a little annoyed about this... The rear most muffler heat shield on the '16 Sport corroded around the bolts enough for it to come flying off today driving down the road. Fortunately there wasn't anyone behind me.

The shield looks like it is meant to block heat from the muffler soaking into the cab underneath the back seat on the passenger side.

The bolts holding it on are pretty rusted so I'm not even sure I'll be able to replace the thing, but we'll see.

My question to the experts... Is there enough heat coming off that part of the muffler for me to even bother replacing that shield? Should I just leave it off and call it a day? Or should I just go get some heat shielding tape and go that route instead?

Thanks!

2. Jul 21, 2021 at 2:59 PM
    RedWings44

RedWings44 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black TRD Off Road 4x4, 2019 MGM 4Runner SR5
    You'd probably be fine in the meantime but it probably isn't a great idea to leave it. I had mine come off of my Mustang in the same circumstance and drove with it like that for about a year without issues. Probably not a great idea though.

3. Jul 21, 2021 at 3:18 PM
    Knute

Knute Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '06 4.0L Tacoma TRD Sport
    Stock, 4WD, Access Cab, White,
    We all know the engineers and designers tend to add parts that are not needed or have no function.

Suggest to replace or reinstall it.

Bleep100 and Chew like this.
  4. Jul 21, 2021 at 3:29 PM
    nmum

nmum Well-Known Member

Member:
    I'd have to take a look under the Tacoma to see exactly where you're talking about.

But I think my previous Nissan Frontier had that issue and I think it was a common occurrence with some Nissans for that generation. Where once it's loose it kind of makes a rattling noise. And I'd hear other Nissans, specifically Xterras, driving by with the same rattling noise and figured it was the same thing.

I initially tried to keep it on with clamps and wires. But the mechanic at the shop I take it to noted that the wire eventually rusted and just took the whole thing off.

I was kind of skeptical about it but didn't have any issues from it, with no offroading. I think over on the clubfrontier forum, others mentioned just taking it off as well. The shield I'm talking about is more towards the center of the truck though. Don't know if it makes a difference.

Like previous posters, I'd still look into replacing it if you can but it's probably not a big deal if you don't.

5. Jul 21, 2021 at 3:34 PM
    TnShooter

TnShooter The TacomaWorld Stray

Member:
    First Name:
    Deogee
    Vehicle:
    07' TRD Off-Road, Auto
    STOCK
    That’s nothing new.
    Us 2nd Gen guys have been loosing them for years.
    It’s usually the ones around the cats for us.

I’d grab some stainless hose clamps or zip-ties, and put it back on if I could.

6. Jul 21, 2021 at 4:42 PM
    Lphonzy09

Lphonzy09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2022 Midnight Black Metallic SR5
    You can buy fiberglass wrap (heat wrap) on ebay or something and wrap it with some stainless steel clamps. Considering your bolts are rusted, it’s be a pain to remove those broken studs (i asssume) and this would be the quickest fix!

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    twitchhero likes this.
  7. Jul 21, 2021 at 5:37 PM
    Tacosha

Tacosha Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2019 Black Tacoma TRD OR ACLB 6MT
    minor, TRD skid plate, front recovery points, Regken mud flaps, rear diff breather, AC drain pipe extended. Upgraded sound with active sub woofer, tonneau cover, CB radio.
    They placed here WITH REASON.
    Primary: To reduce thermal corrosion (corrosion of the body accelerates, if more heat in the area).
    My experience and observations of many cars since 1988.
    My advice - stainless steel clamps, spend some time, put them back!

Junkhead likes this.
  8. Jul 21, 2021 at 5:48 PM
    CT Yankee

CT Yankee Well-Known Member

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OR AC AT MGM
    Only aesthetic mods so far Leer 180 cap & Clazzio covers on order.
    Lost the shield under the cat on my '06 many years ago. It was there to protect the ground below the truck when parked. Never replaced it. No issues, no fires, no melted pavement.

9. Jul 22, 2021 at 10:59 AM
    twitchhero

twitchhero ___YOU BOYS LIKE___ MEX-I-CO???

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    See Profile for a full list of Modifications: *Suspension* -Total Chaos Upper Control Arms -Total Chaos Lower Control Arms -Rock Rash performace welded spindle gussets -King EXT Coilovers with adjusters (front) -King Tundra EXT Shock with adjusters (rear) -Icon RXT leaf pack (Option 2) -Timbren active off-road bump stops (front) -Timbren active off-road bump stops with U bolt flip kit (rear) -DRT cab mount relocation -DRT Shackle hangers with DRT cross member -Dobsins front leaf greasable bolts -Polyurethane front body mounts *Performance* -AFE intake (noisemaker) -JLT oil catch can -OTT Tune -Stoptech stainless steel brake lines -Power Brake D-Line kit -Extended stainless steel rear brake lines -AGM Odyssey battery *Interior* -Window Tint -Tacoma Door Sill Protectors -Clazzio (black leather seat covers) -Dashtop Single Mount -Sound deadening material -GATOR floor mats -Cup holder hero mats -Garmin mini front dash cam -JOYING Headunit -Tacoma Kicker tweeter upgrade -Kicker KS front and rear speakers -Rear USB -Meso Customs interior lights *Exterior* -Tacoma tailgate inserts -Mobtown offroad "No drill" Bolt-on rock sliders. -All-Pro Hi-Lift bed rail mount /w Hi-Lift -Rear Diff breather relocated -Alpha REX TRD Pro style headlights -Baja Design squadron sport (Amber fog lights) -Total Chaos Fabrication bed stiffeners -Window Deflectors (AVS) -TRD Pro Grille -Summit DAKAR (BRONZE) 33x12.50 R17) -Sequential turn signals -Softtopper (black) -Toyota Bed Mat -Vinyl wrapped tail gate (black) -C4 high clearance fender liners
    I've actually been hearing some rattling whenever I'm parked, nothing crazy but it sounds like a old heat shield or something. I'll have to crawl underneath now and take a look.

Products Discussed in

To Top