1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Expedition Bed Rack Build - 56k warning...

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by t0mills, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Apr 3, 2011 at 5:46 PM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    Awesome setup.

2. Apr 3, 2011 at 5:48 PM
    topgun155

topgun155 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Richmond, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 F-150 5.0
    RIP to my 08 Prerunner DC
    Wow that looks sick. Keep us posted.

3. Apr 3, 2011 at 6:02 PM
    mjohn617

mjohn617 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Petaluma, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 DC TRD sprt silver
    Haha...not doing it...can't make me!
    Seriously, who's on 56k? Does that even exist anymore?

That design is fucking beautiful, I would be very interested in purchasing!

Those welds are clean!

4. Apr 3, 2011 at 6:18 PM
    bivey

bivey Well-Known Member

Member:
    Looks awesome can't wait til its done.

5. Apr 3, 2011 at 9:18 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    2002 XtraCab TRD 4x4 SCv6 AutoTrans With Lots of Mods ADS COs w/Compression Adjusters Camburg Uniball UCAs Whiteline Lower Control Arm Bushings Kartek 7" Limit Straps Plastics Guy Front Bumpstops Custom Alcan Springs +800 lbs +3" ADS 10" Stroke Triple Bypass w/Resi Rear Shocks Custom Rear Shock Relocate All-Pro U-bolt Flip w/Timbren Bumpstops 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker ARB Twin Compressor Black 17x8 Konig Countersteer Type X 285/70r17 Falken A/T3w Gunmetal 16x8 SCS Ray10s 255/85r16 Maxxis Bighorns Limited Edition (Relentless) Elite Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport Selective Yellow Fog Lights in the Bumper Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro 4,000 Kelvin SAE Driving Lights with Clear Lenses on the Bumper Morimoto D2S Projectors XB35 Ballasts + 4300K Bulbs Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Dometic CFX 55im Fridge/Freezer Alpha II Hardshell RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack Denso 210-0461 105 amp alternator Dual Northstar 24F AGM batteries BlueSea 7622 ML-ACR Battery controller Peak DBI Dual Battery Voltage Monitor Magnuson MP62 Supercharger w/2.37" Pulley Haltech Elite 2000 Standalone ECU Denso 650cc Fuel Injectors Doug Thorley Headers Aeromotive Stealth 340 Fuel Pump TransGo A340F Reprogramming Shift Kit Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT, Magnaflow 18" Muffler w/Vibrant Resonator 13WL Brake Calipers Braided Steel Brake Lines ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Kenwood TM-71A Dual Band Ham Radio Larson 70CM/2M Antenna Uniden 520xl CB radio 3' Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1" Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    I want one! :drool:

6. Apr 3, 2011 at 9:22 PM
    Supra TT

Supra TT Supercharged Lifter

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2000 SAS D60 F/R Supercharged
    Supercharged on One Tons
    I can't wait to see the final product!! :thumbsup:

7. Apr 3, 2011 at 11:57 PM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    WOW MAN! that is a great design! looks like it'll turn out great! i am jealous! god i wish i could weld :(

8. Apr 4, 2011 at 12:13 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Wow , great rack

That is nice work .

9. Apr 4, 2011 at 4:10 AM
    Gramps

Gramps My walker is faster than your Prius!

Member:
    First Name:
    Gramps
    Colorado! Where else?
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD DC 4x4
    A small handful of select mods.
    I will say the same as everyone else awesome design and it's looking great. Can't wait to see the final product.

Note - in your original post you stated with the tent on there you didn't want it to be higher than the cab. Looks like it is going to be now. What changed that? Just curious.

10. Apr 4, 2011 at 5:01 AM
    t0mills

t0mills [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    TRD, Gray Wire Mod, 3" Suspension lift, 3" Body Lift, 285/75 AT2s
    Thanks for all the comments! I'm having the skins cut this week, so more progress should be made this weekend. Unfortunately, I have ZERO amount of time through the week to work on it...

Some of you have inquired about purchasing one of these, and I appreciate that, but due to time (lack of it), I won't be producing these.

BUT....... What I can do, if there is any interest, is produce a set of PDF drawings for this rack that you could hand to a local fab shop and have them build you one. :D

After I get the rack finished I'll update the model to the exact measurements that we used, and get a set of prints done for it.

I'll post them up for anyone that's interested in having one made locally, or anyone that wants to produce these.

Also, if anyone is local to me (Northwest Arkansas), I can PM you Curtis' contact info if you're interested in having him do some work for you.

Sorry if my wording was a bit off, I meant that I wanted the rack to be below the top of the cab, so that the tent wouldn't stick up too far above the roof and kill fuel mileage. The way it is right now, I have plenty of room for the sub frame and Pelican cases below, and with the tent all bolted up, it will only be ~6" above the roofline.

What is everyone's thoughts on color for this rack? I'm going to have it powdercoated after it's finished, and am thinking of doing the same color as the bumper/tube work on that big jeep I pictured earlier.
    That's called Storm Gray Metallic. Another color I'm considering is an Argent. Which is what Warn uses on their winches, and is pretty similar to roof racks made by ARB.

Whatever color I go with, will also be the color of the custom front and rear bumpers I have planned for it, as well as the frame sliders.

Let me know your suggestions!

11. Apr 4, 2011 at 5:57 AM
    bowyer2002

bowyer2002 always tinkering

Member:
    NE Missouri
    Vehicle:
    01 Taco SR5 D-cab 4WD
    OME 882s, OME shocks all around and OME Dakar spring packs, ARB, Warn 8000, ARE shell, Custom rear bumper w/ reciever, 5-235/80R17 Cooper Discoverer ST MAXX on FJ wheels, grey wire mod, Hi-Lift, Hellas, Red-Line hood lifters, Scion radio, sliders, Safari snorkel & LED Ditch lights on CBI mounts.
    what size tubing and wall thickness did you use?

12. Apr 4, 2011 at 5:59 AM
    Space Wrangler

Space Wrangler Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JCT
    Ga
    Vehicle:
    04 DC 4x4
    04 Tacoma 4x4 Double Cab SAW 2.0's Alcan's Ion 171 wheels 15x8 (-27mm bs) 32" BFG AT's
    i think something like argent or a shade of sliver or grey would look nice with the black.

have you thought about having a custom top made for it?

also, what's it weigh?

13. Apr 4, 2011 at 6:16 AM
    t0mills

Member:

I believe it's in my original post, but I used 2" x 0.120" tubing for the main structure. The inner is to be made from 1" x 0.083" tubing.
    Skins are 1/8" and the rails are 2" x 2" x 1/4" angle.

Haven't really thought about making a top for it. The tent will stay on from Spring to Fall, so that will cover up a lot.

I have, however, thought of making attachments that can be installed when the tent is not needed. Such as a roof rack basket for more storage, or an attachment that will let me haul a couple canoes.

I'm also going to be working on a mount for my shovel/axe/hi-lift.
    The rest of my recovery gear will be stored down low, in the bed of the truck.

14. Apr 4, 2011 at 6:29 AM
    MJonaGS32

MJonaGS32 MJ on a GS

Member:
    First Name:
    MJ
    SF Bay Area (East)
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 4x4 DCSB 6spd Vagabond
    Drifter wedge camper, Dual battery, OBA, ARB locker, 4.56 gears
    clean!

Your welds are on point!

15. Apr 4, 2011 at 7:17 AM
    Gramps

Gramps My walker is faster than your Prius!

Member:
    First Name:
    Gramps
    Colorado! Where else?
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD DC 4x4
    A small handful of select mods.
    I would go obnoxious with a bright orange but that is just me. :D

PDF's of the design would be awesome. I would have to modify to fit the wider 2nd gen and also the mounting point (stupid plastic bed) but the basics are there.

Just awesome is all I can say.

16. Apr 4, 2011 at 9:25 AM
    vantaco

vantaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    02 Taco Xtracab TRD Step Side
    why didn't you make it so that when the tent is on (and in the folded position) it would be under the roof line (6" lower then it is currently)

even that 6" above the roof line i think would create a decent amount of drag

if you're going to leave it, i'd look at mounting a roof rack fairing just at the front of the tent to help deflect the air over over the roof rack smoothly

eitherway, looks like it's going to be a hell of a bed rack

17. Apr 4, 2011 at 9:33 AM
    JLee

JLee The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Extra cab SAS Linked front and rear
    I lost track thousands of dollars ago.
    That is bad ass man nice work :thumbsup:

18. Apr 4, 2011 at 9:41 AM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Watching people fab their own shit makes me :)

Sick work man. Can't wait to see it finished.

19. Apr 4, 2011 at 9:45 AM
    t0mills

Member:

Couple reasons actually.

First, if you look at my renderings you can see that the Pelican cases are quite large. Having the rack at its present height, allows for the cases and required sub frame to sit just slightly above the bed rails. That keeps the bed space open underneath, and will allow me to carry a larger piece of gear if needed (extra tire or something...)

Secondly, it's hard to tell from the pics, as tube structures can be a bit deceiving when viewed from any angle, BUT, that top hoop nearest the rear window is perfectly level with the Rubber Molding that surrounds the glass.
    Therefor, in it's current build state, visibility via the rearview mirror is completely unobstructed. I suspect similar results when the rack is completed and the pelican cases are not being stored.

If I were to drop the whole thing down 6", it would be the top bars right in the middle of the back glass.

That's just my thoughts on it. Anyone who builds one of these can customize it to suit their needs.
    Keeping the entire tent below roofline would be ideal for highway mileage, but I don't forsee too much of an issue with 6" above roofline, and well back from the front of the truck.

As for weight, calculations say it should weigh around 180lbs when complete.
    I don't know what it weighs in its current state, but I do know that my wife was not able to lift one side of it (removing it from my truck to sit in garage).
    However, I was able to unload it by myself.... Though it wasn't pretty.

;)

20. Apr 4, 2011 at 10:02 AM
    comiesutra

comiesutra Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Greenwood, IN
    Vehicle:
    '10 4X4 Silver AC SR5 Manual
    MonsterKnobs.com shift knob, Sony MEX-BT3900u
    I'll take a set!