1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Extang Blackmax Tonneau Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by TMCAEG, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Jan 24, 2010 at 8:36 PM
    TMCAEG

TMCAEG [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2005 Access Cab TRD Black
    Searched but couldn't find anything. Has anyone used the Extang Blackmax tonneau? What are your thoughts? Can you still use the bed rails? What if any drawbacks are there?

2. Jan 25, 2010 at 6:20 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    I had a Black Max on my last truck, Dodge Dakota, for about 6+ years. Worked great for me, as it was a cheap light cover for the bed. It never leaked. The snaps aren't great if you need to be in and out of the bed alot, ends up being a bit of a PITA. Also, if it's cold where you are, the snaps are a bitch to get on when the cover is cold and tight.

The mount is an aluminum frame that sits on top of the bed rails, so if you need to use the rails directly you will have an issue.

Overall worked great for me as I wasn't in the bed all that much. Since moving to the Tacoma, I now have the Tuff Tonno. It uses a "J" hook instead of snaps and has rolling rear bar that makes taking the cover on/off easier. As it was only a few dollars more then the Black Max, I bought it, again, cheap and light. Only issue I have with the Tuff Tonno is that the cover is not as tight over the bed and frame as the Black Max was.

3. Jan 25, 2010 at 12:14 PM
    TMCAEG

Member:
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Thanks - I need to retain use of the bedrails. Does the Tuff Tonno allow for use of the rails? Not cold where I am, typical year ranges from 5-25 C.

4. Jan 25, 2010 at 12:52 PM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Nope, the mounting rails are pretty much the same, sit on top of the bed rails.

5. Jan 25, 2010 at 1:49 PM
    TMCAEG

Member:
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Got ya thanks. When you rollup the tonneau does the bar across the tailgate stay in place or does it rollup with the canvas? Is it quick and easy to remove to allow for easy loading/unloading of items? I'll need to load/unload by motorbike a few times a month so don't want too much hassle.

6. Jan 26, 2010 at 5:26 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    With the cheaper Extang's, the end bar can be removed, or rolled up in the cover. Also remember that there are 2 "mid" bars that hold the cover up on the bed that will need to be removed and stowed.

You know, if you are taking the cover off/on that much, I would seriuosly consider another cover as the on-off thing on a rollup cover gets to be a real PITA over time. Unless of course cost is the major driver.

I believe that Extang makes a 3 part folding cover, still a soft cover, but the frame folds with the cover on it. Might consider that, or look to other vendor's. I've only owned Extang, so I can't help you more there.

Products Discussed in

To Top