1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Extang Hard Tonneau + Bike Rack?

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by North Star, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Apr 18, 2011 at 11:10 AM
    North Star

North Star [OP] I keep planets in orbit

Member:
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    07' Double Cab 4x4
    N-fab side steps, Extang hard tonneau cover, Terra Grappelers
    So I've been looking and searching around here to see if anyone with a folding hard tonnaeu cover has put a bike rack on top of it. I know it would be custom work as one would have to drill into their cover to mount the bike rack securely.

I don't have roof racks and don't like having the bikes mounted so high up on the cab. So my intention is to see if I can mount them to the tonneau cover and still have the bed space for a cooler, a bbq, and the kids' pull along jogger.

I have the Extang hard folding tonneau cover and it can support an atv, so my bikes shouldn't be a problem.

So have any members done this? If so, please provide some pics for support and inspiration! :D

2. Apr 18, 2011 at 1:55 PM
    Highland Logan

Highland Logan UBIQUE

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2011 Black AC TRD Off Road w/ factory tow pkg
    Icon Stage 2 w/ overload left in, SPC LR UCA, 265/75 16 BFG KO2, front and rear Weathertech floor liners, OEM (Extang) solid fold tonneau, OEM bed mat, OEM front skid plate, OEM billet oil cap, "TOYOYA" tailgate decal
    I have never seen this, and I also have the Extang. I'm not too sure anyone would want the extra hassle, I know I wouldn't. In order to get into the back, you need to fold the cover onto itself, and in order to do this you would need to remove any mounting gear you have attached to it. I'm sure you thought of this, so maybe you could explain further. I would suggest that a hidden-hitch mounted bike carrier, might be a better fit for what you need.

Frank

3. Apr 18, 2011 at 3:29 PM
    North Star

North Star [OP] I keep planets in orbit

Member:
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    07' Double Cab 4x4
    N-fab side steps, Extang hard tonneau cover, Terra Grappelers
    Thanks Frank. Yeah, it may be too much of a hassle, especially with the cover being pretty pricey! I would have to get it right the first time. There is no going back once you start drilling holes! lol

I was originally thinking that I would leave the bolts with some rubber washers to seal the holes when the mount isn't being used. When the cover is being folded, there isn't much space to accomadate them... Hmmm. Got to think this through...

Products Discussed in

To Top