1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Extending factory 5" oval chrome sidesteps

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Mako72, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Aug 18, 2016 at 8:49 PM
    Mako72

Mako72 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Southern Illinois
    I've got the Toyota chrome 5" oval side steps on my '16 DC. I'm not happy in that they don't stick out far enough in my opinion. If they sat out another 4", they would be more functional.
    I'm not worried about them sitting too far out as currently the flares and mirrors sit further out. They might even help from getting your doors dinged in also. Short of switching to another style of side step, has anyone sucessfully extended these sidesteps by altering the factory tube mount brackets (see second pic)?

Taco1.jpg
    Taco2.jpg

2. Aug 19, 2016 at 3:52 AM
    3dBdown

3dBdown Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCLB BBP 4x4 Sport
    You could probably get a metal shop to chop and extend the brackets for a reasonable fee. I would think 2 inches would actually give you what you want. The increased leverage on the mounts "should" be ok if you keep it around 2" since that is about what the predator-style steps seem to be. Any more and I think you might stress the mounts unless you are fairly light.

I think if you actually need the step though, you would be better off just selling yours and getting the predator style from N-fab as it is a more practical "step".

3. Aug 19, 2016 at 6:39 AM
    Mako72

Mako72 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Southern Illinois
    Good point on the leverage aspect. While the 3 mounts per side themselves are pretty beefy, they are mounted to sheetmetal underneath.
    A 4 inch extension might be too much leverage.
    I was looking at the same complaint with Ford's chrome tubes being mounted too far in also on the F150 forums. Some have been able to extend them out fairly easily but Ford's mounts lend themself to simple modifications unlike the Tacoma's.
    As you say, I may end up having to switch sidemounts.
    Thanks for the reply.

Products Discussed in

To Top