1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

EZ Down Tailgate Group Buy Anyone?

Discussion in 'Group Buys' started by jdkeller, Feb 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mar 27, 2009 at 2:25 PM
    jdkeller

jdkeller [OP] How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    Mine that I ordered was the DeeZee 43601, and that was the package that came. So do you mean the plastic that holds the product said Stabilus?

2. Mar 27, 2009 at 2:34 PM
    Rickochet

Rickochet Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma Access 2.7 4 x 2
    Added VS Wipers, Cruise Control, DRL, Undercover SE Bed Cover
    It was in a second package inside the Dee Zee package and the package says Stabilus EZ Down. It also installs with a "C" spring clip on both ends which eliminates slipping the upper end off without have to remove the f-ing spring clip. Look inside your package and see what you got. I don't have time for a pic now but can do one later.

3. Mar 27, 2009 at 2:38 PM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    Oh ok. I just checked. I got the same thing as you. Its in like a blue vinyl button shut thing.

4. Mar 27, 2009 at 6:22 PM
    Rickochet

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the reply. Looks like a pretty simple installation. I am not really thrilled with the ""C" spring retainer clips on both ends. The units they show pictures of are bolted to the tailgate and have thumb springs at the upper end for easy release. These you wil have to remove the retainer clip to get the tailgate off and these clips always fly off at warp speed into the unknown. :(

5. Apr 30, 2009 at 4:33 PM
    Rickochet

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    Well, after a month of using the EZ down assist I am removing it. My main reason for installing it was to help my wife who has limited arm strength. It takes a big tug for her to get the tailgate started down. The tailgate does lower at a slower rate. But the big issue is that it also makes the tailgate more difficult to raise since you are fighting against the cylinder. So before she had an issue with the gate falling down. Now she has trouble raising the gate.

I will not say that the EZ Down is a bum product, it just doesn't work for us.

6. Apr 30, 2009 at 4:42 PM
    Joe B

Joe B Well-Known Member

Member:
    It's a POS.
    Took mine off after one closing of the tailgate.
    The cable hangs up and was chafed the first time tailgate was closed.
    What a waste of $$$!:mad:

7. Apr 30, 2009 at 4:56 PM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    i still have mine on. I rarely open the tailgate so i guess you can say it doesnt bother me too much.

8. Feb 4, 2012 at 1:09 PM
    Trace

Trace Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trace
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 3 inch lift sr5
    3 inch pro comp lift.
    Have y'all tried to get your money back? Just asking. I still wanna try it and see if I like it. Even with the bad ratings.

9. Feb 4, 2012 at 1:29 PM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    It will eat up your cable an ld make you have to adjust the cable each time before you shut the tailgate.

10. Feb 4, 2012 at 2:45 PM
    Rickochet

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    That was not my experience. Mine worked very well with no cable binding. I eventually took mine off not because it didn't work well lowering the tailgate but it resisted when raising it. You have to fight against the cylinder to get the gate back up.

11. Feb 4, 2012 at 3:28 PM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    When did you buy yours?

12. Feb 4, 2012 at 3:34 PM
    Rickochet

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    Uh, if that was addressed to me, I got mine in the fall of '08 after buying my '09 Taco.

13. Feb 4, 2012 at 3:54 PM
    ouyin2000

ouyin2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    This sounds like it is on backwards:confused:

14. Feb 4, 2012 at 3:57 PM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Interesting. Did you install it upside down like the guy above me said?

15. Feb 4, 2012 at 4:28 PM
    Rickochet

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    Nope, installed per instructions. The hydraulic cylinder has resistance in both directions. It lowers the tailgate very slowly as advertised but will only let you raise it slowly as well. My wife has limited arm strength and had trouble raising the gate.

16. Feb 4, 2012 at 4:34 PM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Mine worked fine minus the effects on the cable.

17. Feb 4, 2012 at 4:47 PM
    Rickochet

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    Best I can recall many had issues with the cable. I worked with mine quite a bit when I installed it to make sure it was properly bent and developed the proper "memory". I think once the cable gets kinked in the wrong direction it is toast. Maybe I just got lucky.

I still have mine and am thinking of reinstalling it since my wife seldom lifts the gate anymore. I guess having to push the gate closed or having it bang down when opening is kind of a wash on the fuss meter. :p

18. Feb 4, 2012 at 5:29 PM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Yea I would take mine off but I'm too lazy and it doesn't bother me all that much. I wonder if they ever fixed the issue.

19. Feb 4, 2012 at 6:45 PM
    4x4 Taco

4x4 Taco Off-road Enthusiast

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pensacola
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Sport DCLB
    Heated Leather Seats, Train Horn, Hood Struts
    :threadjacked:

Not to steal your thunder... but I have already set a GB up for the EZ down tail gate and the hood struts Click Here

:threadjacked:

20. Feb 4, 2012 at 6:56 PM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    This thread is almost three years old. Go for it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top