1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Facelift 2005 Transformation

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by seaspension, May 21, 2017.

1. May 21, 2017 at 12:03 PM
    seaspension

seaspension [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Vehicle:
    2005 Silver Prerunner
    I decided to do a freshening up of my DD and parts & material Runner, as I plan to keep the truck for a while longer despite the close to 200K miles on the odo. I've always wanted a Sport hood and sourced a used Sport hood that happened to be the same silver color, but decided it needed to be resprayed due to discoloration of the fiberglass scoop insert and a few nasty stains. That gave me the drive to take apart the scoop, repaint the scoop grill, and make a first attempt to do a Satoshi grill. I bought the grill from HomerTaco and Dozer provided the water jet cut lettering old school Landcruiser style. I had the lettering tack-welded to the grill, and initially was going to powdercoat them, but decided I could not take the risk of not being able to match the powdered grill with the grill surround which I was going to paint myself. I had some marine grade Awlgrip Black urethane top coat and Primer left from work, as well as the flattening agent to give it a semi-gloss coat. As it turns out, it came out quite well after a few resprays on the surround plastic. I can probably write a manual on how to do the Satoshi mod now, as I had read most of what was posted by others, but learned as I went along to reinforce the grill mounts with qty 5 x 1.5" L-brackets 'glassed in and bolting in a cross bar at the top to help stabilize the grill. There are no unwanted gaps and everything is tight as can be. The following are a few pictures of before and after the mods, including a fresh headlight assy. from the Yota Dealer for a Sport model (blacked-out version). IMG_2986.jpgIMG_3207 2.jpgIMG_3204 2.jpg IMG_3205.jpg IMG_3201.jpg

2. May 21, 2017 at 12:21 PM
    Darkgoatracer

Darkgoatracer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Northern VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 trd sport tacoma
    Stock
    Looks so much better!

ChadsPride likes this.
  3. May 21, 2017 at 12:23 PM
    Kinjo

Kinjo Where America's Day Begins

Member:
    First Name:
    Kinjo
    SATX
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma DCSB 4x4
    6in ProComp,TC UCA, ARB Lockers 456 gears, TRD CAI/Catback, ARB Dual Compressor, HID HL & Fog lamps, 6in Alcan rear leafs w/500# load, king CO w/ res
    I like it

ChadsPride likes this.
  4. May 21, 2017 at 12:33 PM
    seaspension

seaspension [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Vehicle:
    2005 Silver Prerunner
    Thank you. It is a slow process, but already de-badged it, and getting a new Fabfours rear steel bumper installed this week - courtesy of a young female on her phone rear-ending me with her Beamer.
    Next is a 2.5-3" lift and better lighting than stock.

ChadsPride likes this.
  5. May 21, 2017 at 1:42 PM
    Ahoelk

Ahoelk Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alexander
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Very nice looking

ChadsPride likes this.
  6. May 21, 2017 at 4:33 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
  7. May 21, 2017 at 4:37 PM
    TarRiverTacoma

TarRiverTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rand
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma TRD Double Cab SR5 PreRunner (SOLD)
    285 Nitto Trail Grapplers Retrofits by LSC15
    That looks great! If you're interested in retrofits, check out LSC15. He builds some really nice lights.

ChadsPride likes this.
  8. May 23, 2017 at 1:36 PM
    seaspension

seaspension [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Vehicle:
    2005 Silver Prerunner
    Thanks for the tip. LSC15 is a great resource, although I'm tending to lean towards higher output halogens after reading a fairly recent post by a TW member who did his homework with German built bulbs that work with the stock housing (projector style). There appears to be pros and cons to either switching to LED's or a higher output (hotter) halogen. Haven't made up my mind yet, as I'm soaking in the info available on this great forum. Thanks again.

9. May 23, 2017 at 2:06 PM
    gkomo

gkomo Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM AC SR5 4x4
    Way better, nice job!

ChadsPride likes this.
  10. May 23, 2017 at 2:12 PM
    TheCookieMonster

TheCookieMonster cookies!!!!!!!!!!!

Member:
    North East
    Vehicle:
    1995 Hi Lux 22re 4x4 5speed
    Michelin MS2 K&N drop in filter
    great job!

ChadsPride likes this.
  11. May 23, 2017 at 5:15 PM
    Daydrinker

Daydrinker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    NY
    Vehicle:
    08'DCSB
    color matched grill is much nicer. Good work!

ChadsPride likes this.
  12. May 25, 2017 at 7:12 AM
    AJH387

AJH387 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AJ
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    '19 TRD OR DCLB
    Looks awesome. Makes me want to do something to mine lol.

ChadsPride likes this.
  13. May 25, 2017 at 10:42 AM
    orezona

orezona title unspecified

Member:
    satan's skillet
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD OR DCSB OMGWTFBBQ TL;DR
    WARRANTY VOIDED
    Looks like you swapped out your headlights to ones that either came with the black interior or did the BHLM yourself as well as new/cleaned fogs, painted lower valence...

The cleaned up headlights look WAY better and is one of the more significant differences besides your grill, in my opinion. Curious as to what was done.
    Also, doing the ultimate headlight mod with the halogens is on my list too because I want to be able to see in the dark, not look cool FWIW.

ChadsPride likes this.
  14. May 26, 2017 at 4:12 AM
    morgul.03

morgul.03 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08' SSM AC TRD OR
    Looks good! Well worth the time

ChadsPride likes this.
  15. May 26, 2017 at 4:17 AM
    EatSleepTacos

EatSleepTacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    That looks amazing! Another inexpensive way to clean up the front end is to replace your stock antenna with a shorter 14" one from Amazon. The reception isn't that great though so if you use your radio, disregard

ChadsPride likes this.
  16. Jun 11, 2017 at 12:56 PM
    seaspension

seaspension [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Vehicle:
    2005 Silver Prerunner
    Reply to all & orezona. Thank you for the kind replies. The headlights were an OEM purchase through a link I found on TW. Part # 81130-04173 and 81170-04173 head lamp housing bought on-line through EB Toyota Parts, N. Attleboro, MA. They were $168.93/each plus $54.42 shipping to FL. Total under $400.00 which I thought was well worth it. Fog lenses were polished and clear coated.
    I'm thinking of building a small, stout steel front bumper for below the grill. I have started to mock-up with wood, but wanted to get the curves of the bumper correct so it will be a bolt-on deal with a snug fit, and also make it so you don't have to take the bumper cover off. Looking for a used front bumper cover to get the compound curves correct when I fiberglass it and then transfer it to wood; then laser cut to steel. Any one out there who want to donate or sell inexpensively a front bumper cover? The sides can be damaged (fog light areas), as long as the midsection where it is currently painted black is in straight condition. I'm in the Tampa Bay area. Thanks.

17. Jun 11, 2017 at 7:36 PM
    Jonas

Jonas Boogerrrrrr!

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Springfield, OR
    Vehicle:
    05TRDSport
    My wife wants me to get those black headlights. Dunno, my truck is black I'm feeling it May be a bit much. Looks good on yours!

P.S. it's an 05 sport so everything is black

Products Discussed in

To Top