1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Factory 2012-2013 JBL Navigation XM Head unit (Radio, Stereo) +Extras

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tacoma Parts Marketplace (2005-2015)' started by fbconvert, Aug 12, 2016.

1. Aug 12, 2016 at 11:20 PM
    fbconvert

fbconvert [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Seacoast, NH
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport
    ****SOLD****

I want to sell this head unit to someone interested in updating their older tacoma with JBL audio. This is a 2012-2013 Entune App suite JBL Navigation head unit. It is currently running entune 5.2.0 which is the latest version with all the entune apps like pandora and opentable. I had this unit installed in my 2005 Tacoma with JBL audio. I am looking to get $300+plus shipping for the head unit which I will include the xm and gps antennas. let me know if you need the other items to complete the install and we can work something out. I can accept paypal but you will need to send it as a friend or add 3% for paypal fees.

If you are looking to update your old head unit but you feel the install might be a little too difficult then this might be what you're looking for. This upgrade is not exactly plug and play for older Tacomas but I am will to help the buyer walk through each detail. I have or can help you get all the components such as the usb cord, microphone, 28 pin conversion harness, etc so you can take full advantage of all the features of this head unit. Just let me know what year your truck is and I can tell you what it will take. If you have a 2009+ jbl Tacoma then is a actually a really easy swap to do. 2005-2008 takes a little more effort but I know first hand that it can be done.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
    moonman50 likes this.
  2. Aug 13, 2016 at 7:40 AM
    TommyG

TommyG Around

Member:
    First Name:
    Grouch
    MELTING POT
    Vehicle:
    21 MAX
    No mods
    What else would I need for 2010 Jbl equipped Tacoma? Just the surround housing? I've read Jerez thread on this and am interested. Trying to figure out what I need. I want it to sit flush not with all the gaps I've seen. Thanks. Also is the screen clean & scratch free?

3. Aug 13, 2016 at 11:39 AM
    fbconvert

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Seacoast, NH
    Vehicle:
    Sorry I'm not very familiar with jerez thread. I think I have read it but I have been off the forums for a while. For a perfect fit you will need the center dash panel with the vent from a 2012-2015 and depending on you truck you need the one with the 4x4 switch (I think I paid $80 or something like that for my Brother in laws when I fixed his up). However, I was able to modify my existing one to make it sit flat. Here is how it looks in my truck:

[​IMG]
    I have an extra center panel that I can modify so it fits like this and send it with the head unit or I can just tell you how to do it your self. Its not 100% perfect but you would never know it.

As for the rest I'll try to explain but you really need to be looking at a diagram for it to make sense. You will also need the 28 pin conversion harness what takes the connector with you steering wheel controls and whatnot plus your microphone and converts them to the single 28 pin connector that goes to the back of this head unit. You can buy this connector but the catch is you also need to move the head unit voice channel wires if you want the command prompts for navigation. The 28pin conversion harness you can buy doesn't move the voice channel to the power connector (the hybrid connector that has the two big wires on both sides with 16 little wires positioned in the middle). If you are pretty good with removing pins yourself you can simply move the three wires to your power connector or you can modify the 28 pin conversion harness to send the three voice channel leads to your power connector so you can always go back to stock. That is pretty much it. You will also need the FM antenna adapter but that is a cheap $4 part off ebay and you will likely want the USB cord also about $4 on ebay.

Oh yeah, I would also rate the screen as 9 out of 10. There are no real noticeable scratches but I'm sure if you held it up to the right light you could see some blemishes just because its used. here are some pictures of the unit with some of the various menus:
    [​IMG]
    Note the aux works but nothing was plugged in.

[​IMG]
    XM working - I don't maintain a subscription but if that's your thing it works

[​IMG]
    Entune app suite​

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  4. Aug 13, 2016 at 11:43 AM
    fbconvert

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Seacoast, NH
    Vehicle:
    I should add I can make the 28pin conversion harness and modify my extra center dash surround but that's not part of the original deal here. PM me if you want to work something out.

5. Aug 13, 2016 at 11:59 AM
    tomwil

tomwil Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Coast USA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Reg Cab 4x4
    Just wanted to verify if you have the JBL unit.

Usually, there is the JBL symbol on the radio dash plate upper right, as shown in the following pic:

zagapyte_8f3c7f1a0a80f19c3c85a6f6f2d2a53fd92ffb02.jpg

6. Aug 13, 2016 at 12:47 PM
    fbconvert

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Seacoast, NH
    Vehicle:
    Yeah I can most definitely confirm that it is the jbl unit. I purchased this unit from another member on here without the face plate. I used the face plate from a unit I pulled from my Brother in laws truck after he upgraded to one of the units that FLTrucks sold him, same fit just doesn't have the JBL logo. If you look at the connection on the back you can see the big white socket on the left where the JBL plug goes, non jbl units have two sockets there. Also I don't believe they made any Navigation non JBL units for 2012-2013.

tomwil likes this.
  7. Aug 13, 2016 at 3:08 PM
    Jerez

Jerez SoCal LED Dash Swap

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Diamond Bar/Ontario, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 2wd converted to 4wd
    Estock
    His is the jbl. If you look at the plugs on the original post it's the jbl harness
    Just the radio doesn't have the jbl logo for some reason

8. Aug 13, 2016 at 10:13 PM
    TommyG

TommyG Around

Member:
    First Name:
    Grouch
    MELTING POT
    Vehicle:
    21 MAX
    No mods
    :thumbsup:
    Thanks for the detailed info:thumbsup:

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  9. Aug 14, 2016 at 7:39 PM
    fbconvert

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Seacoast, NH
    Vehicle:
    No problem. I just finished adding the backup camera for this as well if you're interested in that harness too but it would requires tapping into the reverse switch.

10. Aug 18, 2016 at 11:33 AM
    metallo12m

metallo12m Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    South Elgin, Illinois
    Vehicle:
    White '09 Tacoma TRD Sport
    HID LED and LED lights everywhere and a 30" light bar in the bottom grille.
    Is this unit still for sale?

11. Aug 18, 2016 at 11:49 AM
    fbconvert

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Seacoast, NH
    Vehicle:
    It is, I should add that your truck needs to be a JBL equipped Tacoma, most of the people that have contacted me here or locally from craigslist have over look this little detail. Let me know if you are still interested.

12. Aug 21, 2016 at 11:34 AM
    fbconvert

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Seacoast, NH
    Vehicle:
    Bump, I wanted to add, I can make the 28 pin conversion harness with RCA inputs for $35. I just need to order the parts. With the RCA AV inputs you can add a mirror box which allows you to mirror your phone on the screen via wifi. I started a new thread with this mod here.

Here is a video of me testing it out on a 2013 non nav radio (not the one I am selling here) but it works the same way

13. Aug 21, 2016 at 12:10 PM
    Chopper678

Chopper678 Professional Threadjacker

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '07 SR5 PreRunner V6 DCSB
    5100s@0.85"+Eibachs, Toytec 2" AAL, Weathertech floor liners, WO seat covers, UltraGauge, ammo box mod
    Why can't non jbl Tacomas use this unit? I'm sure there's a good reason I just don't know it.

14. Aug 21, 2016 at 12:36 PM
    avh128avh128

avh128avh128 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    fbconvert I Am interested .My 2013 Tacoma is none JBl and my rear view camera screen is in the rear view mirror . Can I make this Unit work on my truck (Navigation, Camera , XM Radio Gps, RCA mirror ) and what parts and antennas I need for it to work.

15. Aug 21, 2016 at 12:57 PM
    fbconvert

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Seacoast, NH
    Vehicle:
    Unfortunately, it's a lot more trouble to get this to work with the non Jbl equipped Tacomas. If you had Jbl then I could certainly hook you up but you're better off updating to one of the non Jbl gps units or just doing the mirror box mod and using your Gps on your phone.

If you're interested in doing the mirror box you can reply to the thread I started and linked to in my last post. You will need two harness plus the mirror box, all of which I have listed in that other thread.

16. Aug 21, 2016 at 1:07 PM
    avh128avh128

avh128avh128 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    thank you

17. Aug 24, 2016 at 7:25 AM
    fbconvert

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Seacoast, NH
    Vehicle:
  18. Aug 24, 2016 at 7:49 AM
    Chopper678

Chopper678 Professional Threadjacker

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '07 SR5 PreRunner V6 DCSB
    5100s@0.85"+Eibachs, Toytec 2" AAL, Weathertech floor liners, WO seat covers, UltraGauge, ammo box mod
    That is really cool!! Great idea!

Products Discussed in

To Top