1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Factory crossover

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Voodoochild 2k9, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Jun 10, 2012 at 9:12 PM
    Voodoochild 2k9

Voodoochild 2k9 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    TBD
    Undercover SE; DD Pioneer Radio
    My plan is to piece my system together bit by bit, mainly due to cost. First step is to install an amp just cuz the volume sucks on the factory '12 HU, especially the XM radio; CD and FM aren't too bad. I salvaged the amp out of my last vehicle before getting rid of it so cost will be low as well. So I'm going to use a cheap LOC to run the amp and drive the factory speakers for now. No use spending the bucks on an AudioControl unit, since I'm going to replace the HU later on...I would have kept my old Kenwood HU too, if it had bluetooth. It was an amazing source unit.

Anyways, my question is this: where are the stock front components crossed over? Is there a separate unit in the doors or are there four speaker outputs from the head per side? And depending on how they are crossed over, are there any special considerations for setting up an amp to the stock speakers please let me know. I guess my main concern is if it is crossed over in the HU, I don't know how I'd get the amp set up. My next step will probably be the front doors, eliminating that issue. However, it may be awhile since I don't want to cheap out on them.

I kinda want to wait until next year for the HU in hope that Pioneer puts in better support for Android phones or Kenwood adds voice commands to its bluetooth functionality. I like my little talky guy on my steering wheel control! It sucks that my phonebook can't upload into the radio. My wife's Hyundai even does that. C'mon Toyota!!!

2. Jun 11, 2012 at 8:56 AM
    nesmario

nesmario Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2012 Double Cab Sport
    really? My phone book loads into my Tacoma....I have a droid razr, not sure if it's phone dependent, but I have the jbl with navigation package, not sure if that matters either. I'm in same boat, keeping the HU.

3. Jun 11, 2012 at 10:30 AM
    Voodoochild 2k9

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    TBD
    No I don't have Nav. I have a GPS app on my phone that stores all the maps on SD so not eating up my data. Plus I wanted to be able to put in a HU of my choosing.

The non-entune radio doesn't download the phonebook. You have to manually program each number and record yourself saying the name. It's a real PITA. That's why I only have my wife, son and house numbers available for voice dialling. Plus you don't get any caller ID on the HU for numbers programmed in your phone. It really sucks the proverbial big one.

Anyway, still looking for an answer. Would prefer not to have to have it professionally installed if I can help it.

4. Jun 11, 2012 at 12:10 PM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    To my knowledge the front speakers (tweeters and midbass in the doors) are all run off a single channel. From the looks of things the tweeters have a capacitor glued to the back side of the magnet that serves as the crossover for each of them. So each tweeter (it's really like a small mid) is crossed over using it's own little crossover. However, I'm 99% sure that each of the 6x9 bass drivers is running full range and has no crossover at all.

If you're looking to run aftermarket components with the stock unit you'll be fine. Just be sure to use whatever component crossover they come with.

5. Jun 11, 2012 at 10:20 PM
    Voodoochild 2k9

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    TBD
    Well if that's the case I should be able to run the stock speakers off my amp until I get hold of some new speakers. At least with the extra power, I'll be able to get some volume with less distortion and factory "sound shaping" (i.e. bass reduction) that comes with turning the knob toward 60.

6. Jun 12, 2012 at 9:50 AM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    Yeah that should be the case. Don't worry about blowing them up. You'll hear distortion/bottoming out before you'll toast the coils. And if you do blow them up; think of it like a right of passage moving you on to bigger and better things.

7. Jun 12, 2012 at 10:59 AM
    Voodoochild 2k9

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    TBD
    Definitely! Eventually I wont have a stock piece of audio equipment in there. But alas I don't have 1500 bones to drop all at once.

I'll probably keep the truck for 10 or more years, so I'll get use out of it, even if it takes awhile to piece it together.

Products Discussed in

To Top