1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Factory JBL system install

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by ScottTRD, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Apr 27, 2008 at 6:41 AM
    ScottTRD

ScottTRD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited DCSB 4x4 Auto
    Hello to all. Got some questions that maybe somebody can help me with. I recently got a full JBL system (6 disc changer, 2 tweeters, 2 6.5s, 2 6x9s, 1 sub box with 8"sub/w amp attached). I mainly got it for the sub box (I plan to use my own amp and sub) for my 07 DBL Cab. Well, my father has shown interest in the rest of the JBL parts for his 07 Extra Cab. Yes, I know there will be extensive wiring required. But does any boy have any wiring diagrams or schematics to help with the wiring? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. May 21, 2008 at 3:03 AM
    ScottTRD

ScottTRD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited DCSB 4x4 Auto
    It was a lucky find. Got all of it (radio, 6 speakers, 1 sub w/enclosure, new rear panel, and amp) for $250.

3. Aug 15, 2011 at 10:41 PM
    billyjoe

billyjoe Taco Fever - I've got it bad!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB V6 4WD LTD
    Extang Trifecta Tonneau
    I'm currently in process of developing a plug-in harness for converting a non-JBL 05-08 Tacoma to a 2009+ JBL system (w/Bluetooth, etc.). I've completed mapping out the wiring and gathering part #'s for all connectors & terminals needed. Next step is ordering parts...

I'll post a "How-To" document similiar to my "Install a 09+ Radio in a 05-08 Taco" post when it's complete. :)

4. Aug 17, 2011 at 3:04 PM
    fbconvert

fbconvert Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Seacoast, NH
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport
    What year did the JBL system come out of? If it is 2009 or newer it will have Bluetooth built in. I just completed a 2009+ JBL head unit swap into my 2005 JBL system. I didn't need a wiring harness since I had a JBL system from the factory but I still had to make my own microphone and steering wheel switch circuit. I will post a how to on that soon as well.

Anyways, I would utilize Billyjoe's information on a JBL harness it sounds like he has done most of the leg work already. If you do have a 2009+ JBL head unit and you are interested in using the built in bluetooth let me know and I can help you with factory part numbers or if you are feeling crafty enough, I can help you make the parts you need with cheaper components from Radioshack.

either way I am interested in seeing this project through. Good luck!

5. Aug 17, 2011 at 3:18 PM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    So what sub are you planning to put in the factory box? Wouldn't mind upgrading the sub in mine but not sure what would be best for it. Not even sure if its a sealed or ported box. I'm guessing it's either ported or has one of those breather things in it. :notsure:

6. Aug 17, 2011 at 3:28 PM
    fbconvert

fbconvert Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Seacoast, NH
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport
    x1

I am kind of curious about this too. I don't know a lot about matching a sub to an amp, but I do know that the factory amplifier is vehicle specific. It contains acoustic balance controls of the entire system which is why toyota has so many different part numbers for their amplifiers. They even have different amps for the same vehicle depending on if it has cloth or leather interior just because it tweaks the acoustics of the vehicle just a little. Also the speed sensor for the newer system which is required if you want to use the bluetooth is run the through the amplifier as well.

I would think it would take a whole lot of effort to make the factory Head unit work without the factory amplifier. If you want to upgrade the factory amp you probably better plan on upgrading the head unit as well. Or maybe you planned to do this as well and I missed something, I just wanted to let you know.

7. Aug 17, 2011 at 4:11 PM
    TacoDawgfan

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    The reason I say this is that sometimes I think I have already blown the sub. Sometimes it rattles so bad I think this and then with other songs it sounds great. I guess I could get Toyota to replace it under the warranty? I don't know if that covers speakers but I did get an extended warranty. :rolleyes: But if it is blown already with no more than I have given it then I figure it needs to be upgraded.

8. Aug 17, 2011 at 4:20 PM
    TacoDawgfan

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    I've read that on here about the plastic. Maybe that's all it is but it didn't do it at first. Never noticed it until after trying out the system and seeing what it would do. I did push it more than what I normally do just playing around with it. It's just funny to me, some songs sound great and I can jam out then others make it rattle like hell even at a low volume. :notsure:

9. Aug 17, 2011 at 4:23 PM
    TacoDawgfan

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Ok thanks, I'll have to try that. :thumbsup:

10. Jan 21, 2012 at 1:00 PM
    billyjoe

billyjoe Taco Fever - I've got it bad!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB V6 4WD LTD
    Extang Trifecta Tonneau

Products Discussed in