1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Factory Radio Changes Frequencies By Itself

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by ph16drive, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Jan 19, 2009 at 3:04 AM
    ph16drive

ph16drive [OP] \m/.....\m/

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Clevelandish
    Vehicle:
    08 DC, V6, 4x4, 5-Speed Auto
    Shorty antenna, Pop-&-Lock tailgate lock, Undercover bed cover, Aeroforce Interceptor gauge (custom mount), bed mat, AFE Pro Dry S air filter, map light mod, suspension TSB, Billy 5100's all around, Eibach springs, custom fuel tank armor plate, custom cat armor plate, painted front brake calipers, Grillcraft MX upper grill & Hella 500s, ipod adapter, dash pushbutton garage door opener, aux reverse lights, custom ipod nano 4G mount, seatbelt chime mod, custom bull bar w/ (3) Lightforce 140 Lance lights, POR-15 Chassis Coat Black drivetrain, illum 4x4 switch, xtra bed D-rings mod, locker anytime mod, diff breather relocation mod, ABS disable switch mod, Heated seats
    Anyone have their factory radio (2nd Gen Taco) change frequencies by itself? Mine just started to do this. For example, it'll change from 98.5 to 98.7 intermittently and sometimes go right back within a couple seconds. Other times it wont change back at all. And, it doesn't matter what station I'm listening to. Like I said, it just happened today and I'll have to see if it does it again. The only thing I've done with the radio was to add an ipod adapter (PA15-TOY) about a month ago. Anyone think that's causing it? It's been cold here lately, maybe it's that, I don't know.

Any advice is appreciated.

2. Jan 19, 2009 at 3:08 AM
    craigFLA

craigFLA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport Pkg.#1, XSP Package
    Leather, 20" rims, Borla cat-back exhaust, running boards, back up camera/3" screen in rear view mirror, carbon fiber interior trim. Tow Package. MODS: URD intake BHLM. Tinted tails & 3rd brake light Fog Light mod. 5pc Grill Craft (High Gloss Black powder-coat) T-Rex eye-lids AVS Wind Deflectors 3M Window Tint 15 front/30 rear OBX Sports Pedals Viper 5901 / remote start Pioneer AVIC F90BT-NAV Hybrid L8's in doors, L4's and Dynaudio MD102 tweets in custom kicks, morel rear-fill, JL TW5-13" sub, JBL MS-8, 2@Tru B475, Tru 4.65, PPI a600.2, PPI 456 X-over, Raamat BX2 and ensolite. relocated rear seats 3/4" Retrax cover electric dual "dead-bolt-lock" electric tailgate lock. electric Dynalock for Retrax Cover/custom fabricated case. kinetik second battery/power-gate isolation. Powerslot Cryogenic rotors, Hawks HPS Pads, SS lines,painted calipers&drums FULL trans flush mod OE Denso plugs
    I once had a 1958 Plymouth Fury that use to do that very same thing... I called her Christine.

Seriously, sorry...couldnt help it. I have no idea what would cause this, but am curious to find out.

3. Jan 19, 2009 at 4:54 AM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    If you're bored, pull your PA15 out for a little while and see if it's causing the problem... If you still have issues with the radio with the PA15 disconnected, then take the truck to the dealer. :D

4. Jan 19, 2009 at 5:26 AM
    klown

klown Tacoma World Ring Leader

Member:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD sport 4x4 double cab 6-speed
    Black, leather and heated seats, borla sport exhaust, side curtain airbags, daytime running lights, all weather mats, JBL premium 6 disk changer system, stainless step tubes, window tint, tow package
    You sure you're finger's not accidentally pushing any steering wheel control buttons?

I kept on hitting the mode button on the steering wheel, then when the mode would change I would be like WTF?

5. Jan 19, 2009 at 5:41 AM
    ph16drive

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Clevelandish
    Vehicle:
    Shorty antenna, Pop-&-Lock tailgate lock, Undercover bed cover, Aeroforce Interceptor gauge (custom mount), bed mat, AFE Pro Dry S air filter, map light mod, suspension TSB, Billy 5100's all around, Eibach springs, custom fuel tank armor plate, custom cat armor plate, painted front brake calipers, Grillcraft MX upper grill & Hella 500s, ipod adapter, dash pushbutton garage door opener, aux reverse lights, custom ipod nano 4G mount, seatbelt chime mod, custom bull bar w/ (3) Lightforce 140 Lance lights, POR-15 Chassis Coat Black drivetrain, illum 4x4 switch, xtra bed D-rings mod, locker anytime mod, diff breather relocation mod, ABS disable switch mod, Heated seats
    I don't have the steering wheel controls on my truck but that sounds like something I'd do if I had them.

6. Jan 19, 2009 at 5:43 AM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
  7. Jan 19, 2009 at 7:07 AM
    sooner07

sooner07 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    I'd also suggest pulling the ipod adapter and see if that is the source of the trouble. Aside from that, I don't know of anything else that would cause it other than a defect in the tuner itself.

8. Jan 19, 2009 at 7:15 AM
    mikeyramone

mikeyramone 220 - 221 Whatever it takes

Member:
    Westfield,Ma
    Vehicle:
    2005 4X4 TRD Sport Speedway Blue
    Sylvania Silverstar headlights, vent visors, Advantage Tri-fold tonneau cover, pop n lock, Sirius radio, auto dimming mirror, AFE Pro-Dry air filter, secondary air filter removed, Magnaflow muffler, Hood scoop decals, Painted grill, Devil Horns!!!

x2

9. Jan 19, 2009 at 11:18 AM
    afd23a

afd23a Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    I've had mine do this too. I have the Metra IPod adapter, but it does it so seldom that I haven't really tried to troubleshoot it. At first I thought it was the coiled power cable that goes to my radar detector rubbing against the tuner knob, but a few times later, it wasn't even touching the knob when it happened.

10. Jan 19, 2009 at 11:25 AM
    TacticalBacon13

TacticalBacon13 Sorry for party rockin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Dunk
    Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    2014 tundra platinum
    baby seat and a muffler
    [​IMG]

haha but for real mines done that before and it was because i accidentally hit the button myself.

11. Jan 20, 2009 at 2:36 AM
    ph16drive

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Clevelandish
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the replies . . . it didn't do it yet today but there's always the commute home.

12. Jan 24, 2009 at 5:30 PM
    SUPENATE

SUPENATE Member

Member:
    Tampa Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 blue taco trd
    yeah my started doing that about a week ago and seems to do so everyday kind of used to it now darn crap

13. Jan 26, 2009 at 2:45 AM
    ph16drive

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Clevelandish
    Vehicle:
    Mine only did it one day for me and the only thing I can think of is that I used the dial to change the radio a little bit thinking perhaps it was stuck on the edge and then I used the presets again and I haven't heard it since (knock on wood). Try it and see if this helps.

14. Dec 1, 2011 at 6:19 AM
    ST3VE

ST3VE IG: @fishsohard

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    MD --> SC
    Tint, car seat, baby wipes
    Just happened to me today. I have the stock 6 disc changer. Did you ever figure out this issue? I have done NO mods to the unit or changer. But on the way to work it just changed all by itself about 5 or 6 time on the way to work.

15. Dec 1, 2011 at 6:21 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    You gots the voodoo playa..............

16. Dec 1, 2011 at 6:24 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
  17. Dec 1, 2011 at 6:26 AM
    ph16drive

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Clevelandish
    Vehicle:
    I have the same radio as you. No I never figured out what caused it but after that day or two that it happened, it never did it again (knock on wood). I turned the frequency knob just to see if it was inbetween detents too because that was all I could think of. I wish I had a better answer for you but it never happened since so I didn't have to dive into it too much. I still wish I knew what it was.:cool:

Products Discussed in

To Top