1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Factory Roof Rack or Rhino

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by usadaytrader, Jun 12, 2016.

1. Jun 12, 2016 at 11:34 AM
    usadaytrader

usadaytrader [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I decided to buy the G4 Elite cover bit I am still figuring out a way to haul my kayak. I decided to buy the extend a hitch to support the back of the kayak. Should i go with factory roof rack for the front or the various Rhino brands they offer at etrailer? Any advise from real owners?

2. Jun 12, 2016 at 1:24 PM
    Kenjiro

Kenjiro Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB TRD-OR
    Aftermarket will give you a lot of wind noise/resistance because of the crossbars. I have oem now, and while there is still noise from them being in the stowed position, it is very subtle compared to having them open. Oem roof rack is rated for 100lbs. If you are also supporting the kayak with the rear support, it is more than strong enough. I have not tried aftermarket with wind fairings, however they are designed to reduce noise/ drag.

3. Jun 12, 2016 at 2:26 PM
    Sbpark

Sbpark Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
    I had the OEM roof rack for a bit. Essentially the same rack that I had on my Subaru Outback. No real complaints here, and the filing crossbars are a nice feature for sure, plus the OEM rack will cost you quite a bit less than a Thule, Yakima or other aftermarket brand, and those crossbars won't fold away when you're not using it. I took mine off and ended up selling it though. I just didn't like how it looked on the Tacoma, and those two giant plastic pieces on the roof just looked cheap in my opinion (but never bothered me on the Subaru. Also, the downside of those folding crossbars is your width is dramatically limited. Not an issue is all you're going to be carrying is a kayak. But I wanted to be able to carry a rooftop box and surfboards at the same time. Have a camper shell that should be here this week or next, and had tracks installed on it to accept an aftermarket rack, and can get wider bars for it.

Products Discussed in

To Top