1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Factory Roof racks

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ptf71, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Mar 23, 2008 at 12:33 PM
    ptf71

ptf71 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4 Double Cab with 6ft bed
    Tried to search for this annswer, but could not find it. I have some Factory Roof racks for my 2006 Double Cab Taco. These are the ones that the cross bars can by folded up when not in use. There are some adapters that are made to fit bike, ski, etc attachments.

Does anyone know if the bike attachments are only Factory bike racks or can you use the adapters for Thule or Yakima bike carriers. The attachments are about $75, but I cannot see a pic

Thanks in advance

2. Mar 23, 2008 at 8:34 PM
    j4x4ar3

j4x4ar3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    05 DC 4x4 - TRD Off Road - White
    Round Step Bars, Bed Mat, Cargo Bars, Rocky Mounts bike mount, JVC MP3 Head Unit, TRD Cat Back Exhaust, Rigid Industries front and rear light pods, dual HAM radio with remote mount heads.
    This topic is a huge sore spot for me. I purchased the cargo bars for my 2005 DC shortly after purchasing the truck. Granted cargo bars are different from the roof rack.. however Toyota stated that Yakima clips would work on the cargo bars and even included some clips but not enough to be usefull. Come to find out that the clips that were included were NOT Yakima clips but were make for Toyota by Yakima and were a different size than what the cross reference books showed. NEVER found a set of clips that worked. Even after complaining to Toyota, the dealer and Yakima. All pointed fingers at the other company. The parts books also showed that the clips could only be ordered from Toyota with the cargo bars and were not orderable seperately.

That said... The roof rack is supposed to be compatable with the Yakima clips as well. My advise to you is to go down to your local Yakima supplier and see if they will let you take a set of clips out to the rack and try them for fit. I did this at the local Rack-N-Road and ultimately found that Thule trays without adaptors worked great for the cargo bars for bikes but for my skis I had to get the universal adaptors to fit.

Bottom line.. don't trust the cross reference books as I've found they aren't correct when it comes to OEM equipment.

Products Discussed in

To Top