1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Factory roofracks load limit?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by wildtsail, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Mar 22, 2009 at 6:32 PM
    wildtsail

wildtsail [OP] Member

Member:
    Newport, RI
    Vehicle:
    Silver TRD Off Road
    I used Thule 450 Crossroads (the type that attached to any factory rack) to move one of my sailboats not too long ago. It weighs 130 lbs.
    It worked fine but I only drove up to 50mph.
    I saw somewhere that the load limit of the roofrack is only 75lbs. I can't remember where and I can't find it again.

Does anyone know the actual limit of the racks? How are they attached to the roof?
    Anyone have experience with them they want to share?

2. Mar 23, 2009 at 4:04 PM
    wildtsail

wildtsail [OP] Member

Member:
    Newport, RI
    Vehicle:
    Silver TRD Off Road
    Anyone?

3. Mar 23, 2009 at 4:52 PM
    Crooked Beat

Crooked Beat Well-Known Member

Member:
    GTA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma DCLB SR
    I looked into this for moving my 130 pound Laser around in the summer - that is probably the same boat you have at that weight. I thought about one thule mount on the cab (I have an Access cab ) and two racks on the cap. Even then I was told it would weigh too much.

I ended up getting a Cross Tread Renegade XT http://www.crosstread.com/truck3.html

It works with my cap and is good for 750 pounds. It is $$$ but it is completely adjustable and I can take it to my next truck should the size change. It comes off easily. Only problem is it weighs 125 pounds. Timbrens took care of that problem.

CB

4. Mar 23, 2009 at 7:03 PM
    wildtsail

wildtsail [OP] Member

Member:
    Newport, RI
    Vehicle:
    Silver TRD Off Road
    It is a Laser... and i'd like to put my Vanguard 15 (190) lbs up there too but don't think i'll do that on the factory racks.
    I'm thinking about getting the Thule Xsporter which holds 450 lbs.
    I don't want to go the cap route.. my co-worker has a tacoma and puts his laser on a thule rack mounted to the top without a problem.

I'm not really worried about the rack breaking but i'm more worried about it pulling off the roof from the windage of the boat on top. That wouldn't be pretty.
    I think the weight distributed over the Xsporter and the factory rack would be really slick.

Products Discussed in

To Top