1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Factory TRD Bilstein shocks worth it on Prerunner non TRD

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by r12rex, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Oct 8, 2008 at 12:54 PM
    MotoXFreeStyle61

MotoXFreeStyle61 Displaced Texan

Member:
    San Antonio TX
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5 4Cyl, Access Cab, 5
    Black Head Light Mod, Tacoma All Weather Mats, ScanGauge II, Tonnaeu Bed Cover, 40% Tint, Added Fog Lights, 600W x 1 Alpine MRP-M650 Amp, Alpine 10" Type-R SWR-1022D Sub, Secondary Air Filter Removed, Day Time Running Lights, K&N Drop In Air Filter (oiled), Westin Bullbar (Black Powder), Alpine IVA-W505 w/Nav, JL Audio 6.5" Front Speakers, Toyota SR5 Seat Covers, 2.5" Toytec Spacer
    I had the factory Bilsteins put on mine with the TSB with 2.5" spacers. The ride improved quite a bit. If you're on a budget I would get the factories. I haven't rid in a Tacoma with the 5100s so I don't have any input on any improvements over the factory ones.

2. Oct 8, 2008 at 3:48 PM
    r12rex

r12rex [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cleared headlights, Black emblems, Painted black valence on front bumper, 2.5" 5100 Billys front, 1.5" AAL rear, Satin black TRD O/F wheels with 265/75 16 Definity M/T, Spidertrax spacers
    Extended warranty was purchased for the car when bought. 84 months or 100k. :D

will talk to the dealer today. :)

Kind Regards,
    Ryan

3. Oct 8, 2008 at 11:09 PM
    r12rex

r12rex [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cleared headlights, Black emblems, Painted black valence on front bumper, 2.5" 5100 Billys front, 1.5" AAL rear, Satin black TRD O/F wheels with 265/75 16 Definity M/T, Spidertrax spacers
    TSB is a no go. I bought the Bilsteins from a member on here. They are complete and still assembled with the TRD Coils. :)

not bad for $50. ;)

Kind Regards,
    Ryan

4. Oct 8, 2008 at 11:47 PM
    1BlkT

1BlkT Mod'n on a Budget

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    Vehicle:
    2006 Black Sport Double Cab
    Allied 4'' Spindles, Sway A Way 2.5 Coilovers, Donahoe Remote Reservoir Shocks w/ Deaver 11Pack Leafs, Goodyear Duratrac 285's, Pro Comp Series 8128, Recessed Grill w/Hella 500's behind, Tint, Black TRD Skid Plate, Debadged, Tailgate Hose Clamp, Weathertech Mats, Aero Turbine 2525XL Exhaust, Volant Intake, RETRO'D Headlights by Yosh2000
    Hey man thanks for buying them. If I would have known where you were coming from I could of met you closer to your place. Little late now though, but thanks again.

5. Mar 19, 2011 at 3:21 PM
    nbriseno

nbriseno New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    NBToyo2008
    El Paso
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner TRD
    Suspension TSB
    I just got back from the dealer where they did a TSB under warranty. The cost was over $2200.00
    They put new leafs on back and replaced all four shocks with what they call the "true TRD". they are not yellow like the stock billy's. these are solid black. I have my concerns about them being truly TRD, or better yet, an upgrade model billy's.

the truck did take about a one inch lift in the rear with the new leafs. they do look beafier than the previous "original" leafs.

My next guest is to get a 3 inch lift in front from Fat Bob's Garage (online) for around $80 - $90 bucks, plus another alignment.

They claim that 285/70/17's will fit with the 3 inch lift kit.

But yes, if you still have a few miles on the warranty, or time, definitely look into the TSB 0359-10. your parts might get on back order, with all that is happening in Japan. So hurry up if you can, and get your TSB claim in, folks.

Now I just need to get my question answered as to whether I did get a better quality "TRD" shock, or screwed out of my bilsteins from factory. LOL..

Products Discussed in

To Top