1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Failed Mudflap has nearly turned me

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by smooreace, Aug 1, 2008.

?

Have you lost a mudflap on your Taco?

Poll closed Aug 31, 2008.
  1. Yes

22.4%
  2. No

55.1%
  3. I took them off because I heard they were crap

22.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aug 1, 2008 at 3:39 PM
    smooreace

smooreace [OP] Member

Member:
    Scranton, Ks
    Vehicle:
    06 TRS Sport Speedway Blue
    About 4 days ago my front driver mudflap failed, as it appears many have. Unfortunately it chose to fail while passing a line of slow cars going about 90, so the natural tenancy to flap in the wind was insanely pronounced. I thought the tire was tossing its tread, so I VERY quickly stopped.. on the wrong side of the road and made a left to get out of everyone's way. Damage was basically only plastic scuffs on the paint from contact with the mudflap as it spun in circles. Obviously I was pissed, but hey... I have a great truck, from a great company, and a strong "PLATINUM" warranted that will cover this. So I finished ripping it off the truck and drove home to make the call.

Now the story gets long winded, and VERY depressing.

I call my local dealer (not the one I bought from) and tell him my story. He seems to be interested in fixing me up, until he hears that Im at 36780 miles. Yes, only 780 miles out of factory warranted!! He asks if I bout the truck from his dealer... no I got it 60 miles from him. So he tells me to call them, maybe they will do something for me. The BS has only just begun!!

The next day I call the dealer that sold it to me, they seem helpfull and wants to inspect the dammges so they can schedual repairs..untill he hears the mileage...now 200 some miles higher.. and then hes couldnt care less. I get home from work that night..now MORE milage.. and look up my paperwork from the sale.. 7 year 75000 mile warantee!! Im all set !! So the next day, and MORE mileage, I call back and mention the added coverage. Interests are agian peaked, but Im forwarded to a finance guy that tells me that he will have to call to get coverages listed and clearance to do the repairs and give that info to service, who is turn supposed to call me. Great... everything is going in the right direction agian. I wait, somehow patiently.. for 3.5 to 4 hours and get a call from service. The service manager tells me that he got a message that I had a repair that I wanted done, but had some questions. No dumba@@, you were supposed to call me with answers to the questions. All he can tell me is that I need to call about the added coverage, but he knows that extended warantees dont cover body panels and trim. And my problem wasnt a mechanical failure so he cant do beyond the factory coverage to help me. (Read as - "Go Screw Yourself") I go on about this being an obvious manufacturing flaw, and if it were a failed hood latch causing the hood to flip up and go thru the window killing the occupents, would that be a mechanical faiure. His responce was incredable!! "Body panals and trim are deisigned to last forever!" If I could kick him in the throat thru the phone I would have! Im like... So your telling me that 37000 miles is considered forever? Are they not designed to last this long? He agian makes the stupid responce.. NO! I let him know I would be visiting his dealership and letting everyone know this weekend that the SERVICE MANAGER says that toyota body parts are not designed to last more than 36000 miles.. He hung up.

I got home... after more milage and called Coorperate Toyota and they are working the issue. Im sure they will take care if this, and I will upday as this goes on.

Sorry for the long post, I had to vent, and I cant kill anyone here so it seemed the safest avenue. And I wanted everyone to know of my problems.

2. Aug 1, 2008 at 3:43 PM
    eordonez

eordonez Living vicariously through mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Chihuahua, Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Dcab 4x2 Black Sand Pearl
    OEM All Weather Mats, wheel locks, Toyota Silver Tube steps.....
    Sucks that you had that problem man, but usually it takes a call to corporate to force the dealership to help you, i hope you get it solved asap!

3. Aug 1, 2008 at 3:46 PM
    smooreace

smooreace [OP] Member

Member:
    Scranton, Ks
    Vehicle:
    I do have to add though... if it weren't for this BS I wouldn't have fond this place.. so their is good to come out of it. I am going to forward the overall worthless probably poll results to Toyota in a month so please everyone vote, honestly. Maybe we can get them to redesign the flaps

4. Aug 1, 2008 at 3:49 PM
    eordonez

eordonez Living vicariously through mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Chihuahua, Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Dcab 4x2 Black Sand Pearl
    OEM All Weather Mats, wheel locks, Toyota Silver Tube steps.....
  5. Aug 1, 2008 at 3:50 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    on the 06 i had.....i broke a front flap off while offroading. they are just way too long, and not being flexible dont help either. i got 2 used ones, cut 5 inches off and remounted them. they looked good and were still functional too. now i got an 04 and the flaps are pretty flexible!!

6. Aug 1, 2008 at 3:54 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    the 09 front flaps are way more flexible than the 07's for sure...i'm still gonna cut these though

7. Aug 1, 2008 at 4:12 PM
    smooreace

smooreace [OP] Member

Member:
    Scranton, Ks
    Vehicle:
    My problem had nothing to do with length, rubbing while driving, or running over them while backing up a curb. It simply tore loose from wind. The only thing I do rough in my truck is drive it like its a Porsche! And she loves every second of it!!!

Length isnt the problem, and realistically rigidity isn't either. Its the 2 part construction

8. Aug 1, 2008 at 4:29 PM
    CometKat

CometKat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Carson City NV
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4X4 Regular Cab SR5
    The mud flaps are crap. I took mine off at 540 miles before they caused any damage. Even so I could already detect a faint line where they were starting to rub on the paint. I sold them on eBay for $160. However, I did keep all the hardware just in case Toyota, in the next couple of years, comes up with something worthy of the truck.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  9. Aug 1, 2008 at 4:32 PM
    JJ Customs

JJ Customs Supreme Leader!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    NV
    Vehicle:
    Silverado Crew Cab Z71, 5.3 made from real Tornado's!
    A few additions to make me feel cool.
    Well having bought a total of three new Toyota's in the past I would play the angle you have already started. Most dealers are very big on being a "signature" dealership. If you talk to the overall manager of the dealership where you bought the truck and let him know that you have alerted Toyota at the corporate level that you are happy with the truck and would buy a new one in the future however the customer service seems to be lacking and this might drive you to something such as Nissan then this might help persuade him to maybe fudge the mileage on the factory claim. A simple reminder that Toyota pays the dealership and they pay nothing out of pocket to repair it may help as well. If that fails to work offer to meet him halfway on the charges that normally helps. Good Luck! Jay
    PS. Now I am going outside to make sure my mud flaps are tight... JK

10. Aug 1, 2008 at 4:35 PM
    silver07taco

silver07taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    COIL
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    13 Tundra RCSB 5.7 4x4,07 Tacoma AC 4.0 4x4
    2013 Tundra RCSB 5.7 4x4, 2007 Tacoma AC 4.0 4x4
    I broke one off wheelin on day to on the trail. So I ripped the other one off

11. Aug 1, 2008 at 4:44 PM
    LRH

LRH Well-Known Member

Member:
    GA USA
    Vehicle:
    '07 2.7L PreRunner
    Live with it and quit whining like a baby. Most extended warranties don't cover trim, and the Toyota factory warranty is gone. Toyota might lend a hand and fix it if they want, but are under no obligation to do so, so ask nicely and they might help, since they dont OWE you a new mudflap. By passing a multi car line of traffic @ 90mph on a 2 lane road you already look like an idiot.

12. Aug 1, 2008 at 4:57 PM
    JJ Customs

JJ Customs Supreme Leader!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    NV
    Vehicle:
    Silverado Crew Cab Z71, 5.3 made from real Tornado's!
    A few additions to make me feel cool.
    Well played LRH! Well played!

13. Aug 1, 2008 at 5:32 PM
    MikeS.

MikeS. Well-Known Member

Member:
    Far Eastern WVa
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC LB 4x4 in Speedway Blue.
    Undercover bed topper, Nerf style step bars, Python alarm, Ham radio with 250 watt amp and chrome wheel well bling.
    I was wondering if anyone noticed he was doing 90 on a 2 lane road.

14. Aug 1, 2008 at 5:34 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    Beat me to it. ;)

15. Aug 1, 2008 at 7:40 PM
    smooreace

smooreace [OP] Member

Member:
    Scranton, Ks
    Vehicle:
    I figure its easier to just ask, rather than waste more of my time looking over your past posts... are you this much of an a@@ to people in person, or are we using the internet to release bound up frustrations?

I didn't expect the extended warranty to cover the flaps... dont think I ever said I expected them too. I also never said that anyone OWED me a replacement, but I did imply that Toyota OWES its past and present owners a solution to the substandard manufacturing on this particular part. Its no different than the TSR on the rear springs and shock replacement for people that overlaod their beds... if your an moron and overlaod it, then why should Toyota give you heavier suspension? The bed itsself is STILL OVERLOADED.. yet they see it as a failure to meet customers needs and expectations. Toyota in general is a great company to deal with, and they almost always do the right thing. Your stupid comments of my WHINING only shows that you dont have the spine to stand up and try to make changes when changes are needed. Ya.. I was speeding.. what the heck does that have to do with a damn thing? Maybe by driving on the wrong side of the road causes undue stress on the mudflaps? Purhaps it was my speeding that did it.... wait.. driving 65 MPH into a 40 MPH headwind produces wind forces of 105 MPH.... so obviously your just let down that your trucks smaller than mine. Get a pair, treat people like you want to be treated, or climb back into your hole.

16. Aug 1, 2008 at 8:30 PM
    TacoTurd

TacoTurd Defying Alliances since 2007

Member:
    Central Texas
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner TRD Sport
    TRD Exhaust, TRD CAI, Bull Bar, PIAA lights, Passport, Bed Mat, UWS Toolbox, Hood Struts, Rear TSB, TRD/Okole Seat Covers, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar, Burned Carpet, Nasty Dent in Roof
  17. Aug 1, 2008 at 8:54 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    You're not helping your case with your response. The fact is, these vehicles aren't meant to be flying down the road at the speeds you're saying you drive, not to mention that you shouldn't be going that fast on public roadways in the first place.

Face it, you're whining about mudflaps. Cry me a river, build a bridge, and get over it.

18. Aug 2, 2008 at 6:56 AM
    CometKat

CometKat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Carson City NV
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4X4 Regular Cab SR5
    It seems to me the occasional burst of speed or gust of wind shouldn’t cause parts to break off the truck. A Toyota is supposed to be quality throughout. The POS mud flaps are a legitimate complaint.

19. Aug 2, 2008 at 8:27 AM
    mws4ua

mws4ua I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    2018 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 4x4... Yeah yeah, I know.
    Clearly that's not true... it seems to me that she just screamed "I'M NOT A PORSCHE!" in what turned out to be a very attention-grabbing way.

See above... doesn't sound like an "occasional" burst of speed to me.

20. Aug 2, 2008 at 8:34 AM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers

Firstly, it has already been established that your an idiot.

The TSB, not TSR, applies to vehicles with excessive bottoming out. It was happening to people with only 300lbs in the bed, which is much, much less than the truck is supposed to carry.

Your angry that your mud flap came off at 90MPH? Wow. Take your bullshit to another site. You damaged your truck through being irresponsible. It's not Toyota's fault nor is it their responsiblility to fix this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top