1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Failing smog - secondary air pump “not ready” (bmw M3)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Oreo Cat, Feb 9, 2021.

1. Feb 9, 2021 at 10:40 AM
    Oreo Cat

Oreo Cat [OP] Worst Member

Member:
    I know this is Tacoma world but the bmw forum is trash and I’m wondering if anyone has had this problem on their Tacoma or any other car
    My car has failed smog due to the secondary air pump not being ready to smog. The car sat for a while just before getting the first smog. I’ve tried to do the drive cycle resets but still after 1k miles it’s “not ready”
    not sure what to do at this point.

2. Feb 9, 2021 at 11:06 AM
    EdgemanVA

EdgemanVA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2008 X-Runner
    Several
    How hard have you driven it recently? Have you "blown the carbon" out of the engine? :broccoli: Have a bud who bought a E36 M3 that was having some "issues," and he drove it aggressively to clean out the engine. I would do every other thing, like oil change, new plugs, new air filter, etc. Check for vacuum leaks, bad hoses, etc.

Are you failing an actual CA smog check, or are you getting a PID telling you the secondary air pump is having issues? If it's the pump, found this on the E46 board:

"Don't mess with the MAF (very expensive) unless you know what your doing. It definitely sounds like the secondary airpump is dying. If its not already dead I would suggest taking it out and spraying WD40 into it. It will loosen up the rust buildup. Water gets into it and causes it to rust hence the high pitch noise. Also check the valve for rust and use some of rust cleaner you can get at local hardware store and spray some in there and clean it out. Also check the hoses for air leaks especially the little one going to the valve. That one tends to get britle due to the engine heat and cracks. This is the main cause for water buildup in the airpump and valve. This is what I was told by a bmw mechanic. Put everything back together and you should be ok.
    If your airpump has died ebay used $100. Get the valve form bavauto.com. I bought a hose from advanceauto store. I took mine out and looked around for the same diameter and almost the same length about $8. Works better than the OEM junk. Remember you need the airpump to pass emissions."

It also sounds like the secondary air pump only operates when the engine is cold, so if all else fails, try driving your car to warm it up, then use a code scanner to delete the PIDs, then try getting it smogged before the engine cools down to where it would turn on the secondary air pump again. If all else fails, you can always replace the secondary air pump or sell your car to someone outside of CA.

Good luck!

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    Oreo Cat[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top