1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fairing on OEM roof rack

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by YoterHead, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Feb 21, 2010 at 9:47 PM
    YoterHead

YoterHead [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    No, I haven't done it. I don't even own an OEM roof rack. Basically, I don't like how the OEM rack looks with the bars in the "stored position". But I do like the OEM rack.

I was curious if anyone with an OEM rack has added a fairing to it? I have in my mind something link the Yakima fairings. Maybe made of a semi rigid plastic that would curve to the front edge of the roof rack?

My guess is that no one has done this since they are storable, but I'm curious.

2. Feb 21, 2010 at 10:27 PM
    CVR6

CVR6 Active Member

Member:
    Just installed the factory OEM roof rack on this morning to go snowboarding and surfing. Rack worked awesome today, however without a load strapped down and the bars in the un-stowed position it is a definite noticeable sound of wind turbulence. Enough in my opinion to always keep the bars in the stowed position when not in use.

That being said, I no much to complain about the rack, looks sleek and should hold up fine without marring the paint on the above the doors from the grab clips found on aftermarket racks... been their done that with my two previous vehicles.

Now I am look for surfboard pads so as to gently mount my boards, today I just made some out of pipe insulation for the trip up to the mountain. Only hurdle to overcome is the fact that the bars are an oval shape and thus I might have to get creative with the pipe insulation and the girlfriends sewing machine if I can't find a retail solution.

As for your fairing idea, I don't believe there is a fairing available on the market. The bars sit close to the roof, maybe an inch to two inches of space so any fairing is going to be on the small size in terms of height. Honestly, I think it would look a little cheesy but to each his own.

Love the rack, pull the trigger regardless of the fairing...

To Top