1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Favorite Laptop Brand?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Hotdog, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Jul 23, 2008 at 12:56 PM
    wareaglesc88

wareaglesc88 Caro-bama alliance

Member:
    Charleston, SC/Auburn, AL
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner V6 SR5 TowPkg
    My badass in the driver's seat
    T61! That titanium case will come in handy if you carry it, and thus drop it as many times a day as I do.
    Even if the name says Lenovo, it's still IBM in my head.

2. Jul 23, 2008 at 1:57 PM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    I run a MacBook Pro with OSX and WinXP on it. I WOULD use it for everything except my wife thinks its hers (something about buying it for her)... :rolleyes:

I use HP for work, and since I am on-call 24/7 my HP laptop is with me 24/7. :(

3. Jul 23, 2008 at 1:58 PM
    tacoskim

tacoskim Tuned By Gadget

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD 4x4 Pyrite Mica
    Stock

+1 i love my vaio, ive had it for 4 years and still runs like a champ

4. Jul 28, 2008 at 12:14 PM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    IBM thinkpad. simple and tough

5. Jul 28, 2008 at 3:54 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    That's false security.

6. Jul 28, 2008 at 4:22 PM
    billybobsgoat

billybobsgoat Member of the Goat Army

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD OR CCSB Graphite
    +1

7. Jul 28, 2008 at 4:46 PM
    neontrail

neontrail ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2004 NISSAN XTERRA XE/SE
    De-badged, Tint 20%, Blue 48 LED dome-light, .......
  8. Jul 28, 2008 at 5:09 PM
    mainerinexile

mainerinexile Well-Known Member

Member:
    central Maine
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 Access cab I4 4x4 5 spd
    Isocoee, I've had three Dell's in row since about 1998, a Thnkpad before that, back when it was an IBM. All good reliable machines--Dell with better customer support now, I think.

My main advice is that if you can make the transition full time to a laptop like I did about 5 years ago, your life will be SOOOOO much simpler. Having things on two machines, never the one you want, is just too frustrating.

I'm using Dell 420 (3 lbs) that I hook up to a large monitor at home and at the office.

9. Jul 28, 2008 at 5:18 PM
    cleanTRDmachine

cleanTRDmachine watch the meat

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Q-Town, PA
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD
    tint gray camo seat covers debadged color matched grille surround off of 06 TRD sport grillecraft black mesh grille Hella 500's demudflapped Toyota rear leaf TSB (first edition) 265/75/16 BFG AT TA KO's Flowmaster Super 40 #952445 Maglite Mod AntennaX 13in antenna Painted Lower Valance Vision X H4 Xenon headlights Halo Solaris H10 foglights Velocity Offroad 2.5 leveling kit (removed) Spidertrax 1.25" wheel spacers Rocky Mounts Clutch SD bike mount 4ft combo lock cable for bed extender Stage I interior LED's Toytec 1.5" AALs Extang Trifold Signature Series Bed Cover Reese front mounted tow hook Icon Stage 1 Suspension
    I have an OLD black Mac PowerBook....works pretty good for being so old...it was free so who cares

10. Jul 28, 2008 at 6:25 PM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    I have an Dell XPS1220 that is my most favorite travel laptop ever. My last assignment in the service was at a Network Ops Center & I had the opportunity to use practically every manufacturer. Dell was tops especially in warranty service. I got to do a on-site visit/conference with the the federal sales team too. The place is freakin huge!

My latest laptop technology intrigue is a company called Zonbu which markets an open source based software architecture on a linux os platform. Its Microsoft-free & an affordable alternative for web service. A couple of friends have em. I'm pretty impressed with their systems so far.

11. Jul 28, 2008 at 6:27 PM
    01TacoTRD

01TacoTRD Carolina Alliance: Quack Addict

Member:
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma TRD 5 spd. 3.4 ltr white
    I've got a gateway that gets me by and does it's job, but I'd go with either an Acer or a Dell if I had to choose.

12. Jul 28, 2008 at 6:58 PM
    aaronatl

aaronatl ©1975

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron Nrsa
    In A Big Country
    Vehicle:
    it hauls tostitos
    I had a toshiba in college, I loved it, but it was a lease from college :(
    bought a gateway, it was junk, crashed all the time.

now i have an cheap Acer 3680, works fine for travel
    and being kicked around, it was an open box item and
    then set on shelf as demo.
    (Best Buy has 10 to 50 percent off on opened or returned items)
    $200 , restored drive never had any problems. :)

also check around local pawn shops

13. Jul 29, 2008 at 1:27 AM
    MikeS.

MikeS. Well-Known Member

Member:
    Far Eastern WVa
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC LB 4x4 in Speedway Blue.
    Undercover bed topper, Nerf style step bars, Python alarm, Ham radio with 250 watt amp and chrome wheel well bling.
    Another vote for Dell, I bought a 1720 about 4 months ago. It's replaced my desktop machine.

14. Jul 29, 2008 at 7:17 AM
    Hotdog

Hotdog [OP] My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    Thanks for all the responses. I'll be ordering in the next few days. I think it is between the Dell and the Lenovo.

How does everybody like the keyboard on their Dells?

15. Jul 29, 2008 at 7:41 AM
    Charli

Charli Stealer of Souls

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck?
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '06 Black Sand 4X4 SR5 TRD Sport V6 Access Ca
    Towing pkg with Mossberg hitch cover, Toyota tube steps, 3" Toytec lift and TSB, 1" diff drop, Tacoma World sticker, sockmonkey decals
    I'm on my dell 1520 right now and I love it. One of my favorite things is the keyboard and the way it feels while typing. The only thing I miss is the number keypad on the right, but that's a space issue and you get used to it.

16. Jul 29, 2008 at 8:01 AM
    Cooked Goose

Cooked Goose Member

Member:
    I too was an Applephobe for quite some time. I swore I would never switch. After OS X Tiger was released I made the jump. Haven't looked back since. I have used Mac's at home for about 5 years now and it been a real easy transition. Stumbled the first few days but it didn't take long to pick up. I have never had any problems crashing or virus issues. As was stated above Mac's aren't impervious to attack but are not the higher priority target. All I say is, if you have the time to go to Baton Rouge you should go up and check one out in person. I promise you won't be disappointed. Although you can run XP/Vista on an Apple if needed you probably won't unless it is absolutely necessary. Apple has come a long way since the the days of OS9 and even earlier versions of OS X.

17. Jul 29, 2008 at 8:30 AM
    Quicktime_GT

Quicktime_GT Active Member

Member:
    2.5 inch spacers 2 inch blocks rancho shocks
    Whatever you get, if you run vista i would upgrade the memory to whatever it will hold.

Also if you don't plan to be away from a power outlet get a fast processor..

I'm running a 3.2ghz mobile pentium 4. Its fast, but it drains the battery quick.

I have that with 2gb of DDR PC3200 memory and it runs XP pretty darn fast.

18. Jul 29, 2008 at 9:06 AM
    Hotdog

Hotdog [OP] My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    no matter what I get, I'll be "downgrading" to XP pretty quickly. I'll play with Vista for a bit, but I don't think that will last long.

19. Jul 29, 2008 at 9:58 AM
    pittim

pittim mittip backwards

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    It’sa Lexus, boogie woogie woogie
    There isn't a "priority list" for hackers. It's just that it's easier to get inside of DOS vs *nix. Plus, about 91% of computers run windows. Obviously the point of a virus is to mess people up, so making something for 8% of computer users vs 91% is stupid.

Wait till Apple gets more popular. You'll start to get them, dont worry :)

Make sure whatever computer you get is offered with XP. Reason for that is because it makes finding drivers MUCH easier. The problem with many laptop manufactures are that they stopped offering XP, so you can't go to their website and just download drivers.

Whenever I got my ThinkPad, I had vista on for about 2 months. It really isnt bad (especially since they have SP1 out now, I'm sure it's better than when I last used it), but I just liked XP better. If I didn't know how to install an OS, I'd still be using vista.

I'm able to get Vista for free (MSDNAA FTW!) so I may try it out again since I'm going to do a clean install before I go back to school in a month.

20. Jul 29, 2008 at 12:12 PM
    RioNovo

RioNovo Arizona Native

Member:
    Tempe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    03 4x4 TRD SR5
    Bed liner, Bed Extender, Vision Shell, Alpine Speakers and Alpine Amp, Sway-A-Way coil overs up front, Deaver 6 pack in the rear, 285/75 R16 L/Ts on blacked out alloy wheels, All Pro Sliders, 1000w Power Inverter, SSB/AM CB, Gray Wire Mod, Constant 12v Power Outlet Mod, Deckplate Mod, Open Door Warning Disabled, More to Come!
    Absolutely! I have a well set up Dell 410 desktop machine that came with Vista on it, and also a slightly older Dell 1705 laptop. The FIRST thing I do with a machine that comes with Vista preinstalled is scrub it clean and install XP Pro.

Dell for one offers a preinstalled version of XP on any machine purchased directly from them. However better buys can often be made on the same machine from vendors other than Dell, so being able to transition a machine from Vista to XP is important, at least in my book.

As far as XP being vulnerable to attack, yes it can be IF it's not set up and taken care of properly - meaning that keeping it clean and virus/malware free is a priority. But that's certainly doable if a person puts a bit of thought into it!

If someone wants relatively trouble free computing in a simple "appliance operator" mode, where thought about what's going on under the surface is the furthest thing away from their mind, then Apple and its high dollar hardware and OS will do the job for you, ..or you can install one of the latest versions of Linux on a good x86 machine and accomplish much the same thing on the cheap! No one is truly focused on writing viruses or malware for these niche systems, so running them in "appliance operator" mode is not much of an issue these days.

Products Discussed in

To Top